Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:51am - Aug 26,18 
Need some help I have 3 rods and not sure how to price them for sale any help would be great

Montagu Red wing med. trout split bamboo sock and tube 2 tips

South Bend # 59 9ft split bamboo sock and tube 2tips

Heddon 2pc fly rod sock and tube
thank you for any help you can give

gdi

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:59pm - Aug 26,18 
The South Bend is most likely a post WW-II, mass produced rod... They're fairly common (we see several every year at Bass Pro from people doing what you're doing). There might be individual models that might have some collectors value, but most others have little value. If the rod is in good shape, it can be used, but will require a silk substitute fly line. Modern fly lines won't work well with the guides on the rod. Most that we see are best served becoming a decoration. I would suggest having someone who deals in fly fishing collectables check it out to be 100% sure, but like I mentioned, these are fairly common.

Not sure on the Montague fly rod.

The Heddon rod might have some small value to guys that enjoy throwing these vintage rods. I believe ChuckT has mentioned that he throws a Heddon rod when he fishes the Dupage. I've seen others that enjoy the rods as well. Of course this is specific to the model and rod weight you have.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:33pm - Aug 26,18 
Thanks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:59pm - Aug 27,18 
I have two fiberglass rods (both Heddon Black Beauties). I have used the 9 ft (I think) 5wt (H-F 90 Fast Tip) every so often and it throws (as expected) slower than graphite. I bought it when I was about 15 (that would make it 1962). I also have a Mark IV, 8.5 ft, (HCH-GBF, Fast Tip) which has a unique, spring loaded reel seat. I have never used the Mark IV, received it as a present from my father when I was about 16 an it sits in the aluminum case. Use one of these rods and you need not go to the gym (at least for your throwing arm).

I have heard of the Montague. I think John Geirach wrote about it in his short story Bamboo Rods. He sorts of talks about collecting and casting performance. He also wrote that Heddon made some fine bamboo rods.

Don't rush, take your time and research. Maybe a rebuilder, like Coren's in Chicago, can give you some advice.

Are you like me? I gave up trying, after years, to grow tomatoes. I gave away the tomato cages and what not. Did not want to be tested to only fail again.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:35pm - Aug 28,18 
Check with Cameron Mortenson at the Fiberglass Manifesto, if anybody would know he would. fiberglassmanifesto.com

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:37pm - Aug 28,18 
Also check for similar items on eBay. That may help too.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:43am - Sep 2,18 
Well I made the trip to Coren's yesterday. Eric is a fountain of information. He truly seemed excited to look at and talk about each rod I brought in. From looking at the rod tubes with labels still on them to looking them all up in a book and placing a value on each rod so that I would know what they are worth and year they were made. He explained everything about them that he could. Since I was taking the trip I took in 3 other fly rod that I had A fiber glass St Croix, a South Bend #24, and another South Bend #59. After he got done with my rods he even showed us how bamboo rods are made and explained how they get put together. It's was worth the ride for the education that I got on fly rods. Now I have to decide what I want to do with 6 fly rods.

Chuckt thanks for your response and sending me in Eric's direction.

gdi

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:39pm - Sep 3,18 
Fish'em, gdi, fish'em! Remember, once you sell them, they are gone.
If you are still fly fishing, then determine which rods you like. I think rods are like shoes; a pair can make person happy and another person not satisfied.
I need to take my Heddon Black Beauty to them because the second ferrule (one from the tip top) fell off. Maybe have them re-cork the handle.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:25am - Sep 4,18 
I really don't fly fish. The rods I have are my dads and my uncles. That's why I say I'm not sure what to do with them. None of my kids fly fish so not sure if it's time to get them in the hands of someone who will.

gdi

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:35pm - Sep 5,18 
So, what did the Coren's guy tell you about the rods? Just interested in their lineage since not too many members discuss the older tackle.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:07pm - Sep 6,18 
Well all the bamboo rods are from the late 40s except the Montague that's a 52. The St Croix glass rod is an early 60s
He thought they were all in excellent shape in perfect condition no repairs needed. He thought the rod tubes were very cool due to the fact that they still had the labels on them.
The Montague Red Wing was the second most expensive rod built back then and is in the price range of $425+
The South Bend #24 was a middle class rod and $250+
The two South Bend #59 lower end rods about $150+
The St Croix not so much but still $70ish.
Eric matched all the rods up with a book that he has and was able to identify all the rods with perfect matches based on handle style and reel seat color and the guide wraps.
Also I asked about a spinning rod of my dads PT10 Silaflex Magnum. He even knew about the seahorse logo on it.
Eric is really a fountain of information.

Board index » The Tackle Box » Check your Fly
Jump to: