Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:51pm - Oct 4,17 
Same pond, same spot, same fly = bigger fish!

I stopped at the pond on my way home from work and tossed a rubber worm for a while trying to stir up a bass. When that was unproductive, I switched back to the 5 wt to try for another carp.

When I got to the spot, there was about 6 or 7 carp stacked up in water just a few inches deep so their backs were sticking out. Cast, cast, cast and nothing! I thought I was putting that nymph right in front of their faces, but they were apparently hyper-focused on whatever it was they were eating. Then one would get spooked by my fly line and they would scatter.

A few minutes later I saw a tail pop up about 10 yards out. I cast my nymph and he started swimming away. I continued to cast in front of him as he circled around. Finally, after about a dozen casts, I dropped the fly a little past him, stripped some line and let the nymph sink. A swish of his tail, a swirl of water and my line tightened. As soon as he realized he was hooked he took off on his first run. He took me down to my backing. I slowly increased the drag and started reeling him in. He saw my net and took off again. This time, the drag was too much and he gave in.

He was only a little bigger than the one I caught yesterday, but he sure seemed stronger!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:48am - Oct 5,17 
Damn! You are the king of fly fishing for carp........

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:46pm - Oct 5,17 
chuckt wrote:
Damn! You are the king of fly fishing for carp........

Nah - even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while!

Profile WWW  

Sponsor
Sponsor

Post Posted: 05:20am - Oct 6,17 
Nice job I the story. Love the adjustment you made to catch it.

Team Ezeestep
Member, APCA

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:50pm - Oct 6,17 
Since you are working a pond (no current), are you letting the nymph settle and leaving it without any twitching, etc,..? I want to use the same technique (a nymph) and plan to just let it float with the current in the DuPage. What size hook on that nymph?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:02pm - Oct 6,17 
What size hook on that nymph?

I love that question!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:25pm - Oct 6,17 
I have seen nymphs with hooks down in the 20's.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:30pm - Oct 6,17 
Never mind, I re-read Smitty's first thread and saw the nymph and the dime photo. I do find it interesting since many a carp fly is larger with flowing bodies and many a time legs and here you are with a bead head and nothing but a body of bunting.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:19am - Oct 9,17 
chuckt wrote:
Since you are working a pond (no current), are you letting the nymph settle and leaving it without any twitching, etc,..? I want to use the same technique (a nymph) and plan to just let it float with the current in the DuPage. What size hook on that nymph?

The fly with the picture of the dime might be a 16 - tiny, but the last one I caught was on a size 12. I actually hooked another one on a size 12 olive nymph, but I either snagged it or it was so big that it snapped my tippet. I wasn't even casting to a fish but he must have been lurking under the water.

When I'm actively casting to them, I'll try and cast beyond them, then strip it back til it falls in front of them and move it just slightly to get their attention. The challenge is getting these tiny nymphs close enough so they'll go after it, but doing so without spooking them.

For the river, I go a little bigger - I've caught them on nymph patterns tied as big as size 6.

I went with a size 12 for these last ones I tied because that was the smallest hook I had that would fit the beads I had. I put the bead head on, then secured it with a good base of thread, and wrapped it down to the bend. I tied in a piece of fine copper wire at the tail. I used a small bunch of fibers from a maribu feather, overhung the tips for a tail and secured that. Bring your thread forward. For the body, i simply wrapped the remaining maribu fibers forward and secured that with the thread. Counter wrap the wire over the body to help hold everything in place, secure the wire and whip finish. That's it! Only take a few minutes to tie one up.

I actually just picked up a bunch of dry flies - hoppers, caddis, mayflies, adams, attractors, etc. All larger sizes too. Right before sunset the carp in the river are hitting the surface. Outside of poppers and muddlers for bass, I've never really fished with dry flies, so I thought I'd give it a shot!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:36pm - Oct 9,17 
Good luck on the river; I will be interested in your strategy. I have been trying wooly buggers nad crawdad flies trying to lure them. I watched one carp, about 2 feet away, just sit and eyeball my fly on the bottom for about 3 minutes. I had to do something so I gave it the tiniest twitch and the fish just slowly swam off.
But when you latch onto one, it's hold onto your rod because the train is leaving the station with you tied to it.

Board index » The Tackle Box » Check your Fly
Jump to: