Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:06am - Sep 11,17 
Howdy,
We're taking a long weekend in the Galena area (NW Illinois) in a few days. I've never fished the Driftless, so can anyone recommend a fly shop to hit up, get a report, and some flies?

Thanks!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:21am - Sep 11,17 
Hey spoonman, will you be fishing in Illinois or will you be driving into Wisconsin?

Right here in Chicago is "Chicago Fly Fishing Outfitters" which is located right here in the City on Clyborn. This is my go to place to get any essentials before I head up to the driftless. Everyone there is incredibly knowledgeable and will answer any questions you have. If you plan on going further north you can stop at the Driftless angler in Viroqua. Also awesome staff and will provide you with a map of the local streams/creeks. I also use their website for all my daily reports before I make the drive. Feel free to PM me.
http://chifly.com/
http://www.driftlessangler.com/blog

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:42am - Sep 11,17 
watsonator, I'll probably be staying within IL (its also a family trip), so will be geared up for smallies if the water calls for it. I'll check out Chifly, thanks!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:58am - Sep 11,17 
No problem, let us know how you do!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:03pm - Sep 11,17 
I'll 2nd both of these recommendations.

Matt at Driftless Angler was more than generous with info when I made my initial foray to the area back in Feburuary.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:40am - Sep 18,17 
I ended up fishing the Apple River on Saturday. Tried for some small trout in a side-creek, but just ended up gut-hooking creek chubs, so turned to focus on smallies. Olive clouser minnows and large hares-ear nymphs did their thing, but best and biggest fish came on a big partridge and orange (size 8, basically a small streamer) fished upstream through boulder fields. Basically a snack-sized crawdad. Let if drift and bump along, pop it off the bottom, and wait/watch for the take. Then on Sunday morning my kid and I took the ultralight out and mopped up with tiny white twister tails and 1/32 oz jig-heads. Good times all around.

A proper introduction to Driftless-area trout will have to wait, I guess.

Board index » The Tackle Box » Check your Fly
Jump to: