Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:59pm - Mar 19,17 
This is my first post. I've been a long time lurker and finally decided to contribute to this site. Yesterday was the opening of early Illinois inland trout season which is fly fishing only and catch and release. This is only in a few select lakes and streams.
It appeared like almost of the fish were at the bridge where they were stocked along with the fisherman. Fishing in a crowd is not my idea of a good time so I decided to move downstream hoping to find a few trout. Given that the water temperature was in the 40's I would normally nymph for these stockers. However, nymphing does not allow you to cover a large amount of water in a short period of time so instead I cast a streamer down and across. Not the greatest day fishing but, I did manage to catch this guy on a swung streamer.
http://i1037.photobucket not approved for posting pictures.com/albums/a45 ... y8getm.jpg
Looks like the state stocked some big ones, I'm almost guessing broodstock.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:28am - Mar 22,17 
Just an FYI - when checking the DNR website for which areas have the early fly fishing program, be sure to look for the "**" next to the name of the pond or river. There are only 9 sites in IL which allow the early flyfishing program.

This information provided to me by the friendly DNR officer who pointed out my mistake!!

Profile WWW  

Board index » The Tackle Box » Check your Fly
Jump to: