Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:18pm - Mar 9,17 
Hello, i'm currently looking for a beginner fly rod within a $200 budget. It's been 10 to 15 years since I've picked one up so my skill level is still as begginer level as it gets. Any help would be greatlly appreciated.
Thanks!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:41pm - Mar 9,17 
First question is what do you want to target? Second question is whether the $200 budget is for just a rod or does that need to include everything (rod, reel, backing, fly line, leader/tippet, etc.)?

There are some great starter outfits out there, but fly fishing is different than conventional fishing... It's the size of the fly that determines everything, not really the size of the fish.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:03am - Mar 10,17 
A bit out of budget, but you should check out...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/bargain- ... l%252FNo-0

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:31am - Mar 10,17 
Good question. Would include rod. I suppose absolute max would be $250 for now. I'm about to buy a house so every penny counts.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:11am - Mar 10,17 
The Great One wrote:
First question is what do you want to target? Second question is whether the $200 budget is for just a rod or does that need to include everything (rod, reel, backing, fly line, leader/tippet, etc.)?

There are some great starter outfits out there, but fly fishing is different than conventional fishing... It's the size of the fly that determines everything, not really the size of the fish.

Mainly small trout up to 3lbs and panfish.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:53am - Mar 10,17 
thewatsonator wrote:
The Great One wrote:

Mainly small trout up to 3lbs and panfish.

For that style of fishing, you have a couple of options:

- A St. Croix Imperial in a 5-wt. Retail is $220 for both the 8'6" and 9' two piece. As with most St. Croix's its a solid rod that just does the job. Lifetime warranty on the stick as well. It's forgiving for being a fast action rod. Often overlooked by fly guys because of price and brand.

- If you are tying to work with a budget, Sierra Trading Post has a TFO NXT Outfit in a 5/6 wt. for $129. Also a lifetime warranty on the rod. Also nets a reel, line, and backing. Then upgrade your line by buying a spool of Scientific Anglers GPX in 5-wt from Cabela's for $34.99. This would be a great all-around setup that will throw a Clouser or popper for panfish one day, then sling a nymph, some shot, and an indicator the next.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:55pm - Mar 10,17 
Thanks, Great One. my buddy also mentioned the St. Croix Imperial to me. If I were to purchase a used st. Croix from ebay would the warranty still be good or would I need to register it in my name like a new rod?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:38pm - Mar 11,17 
thewatsonator wrote:
Thanks, Great One. my buddy also mentioned the St. Croix Imperial to me. If I were to purchase a used st. Croix from ebay would the warranty still be good or would I need to register it in my name like a new rod?

Warranty is to the original owner only. Any replacement would be under their "Gold star" plan.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:55pm - Mar 13,17 
Gee, I thought my post went through. Must not have pushed the submit button.
Anyway, I have been enjoying TFO's Signature II, a 3wt, 7-1/2 foot rod of which I use almost every trip to the Duper. I have landed panfish, smallmouth and even snagged a carp which gave me and the rod one heck of a fight for maybe 5 minutes. I also use an antique fiberglass Heddon Black Beauty (9ft, 5wt) which has the characteristic slower action making casting easier and it is sensitive when fighting a fish. My 5wt, 9 ft Sage is mostly in the house since I really don't like the super fast action; feels more like a telephone pole. And I have used my son's 5wt Orvis Clearwater and it seems to be a good rod.
But to each his own and I suggest you try out the rods (Orvis' Yorktown will gladly let you try and even has casting lessons on Saturdays.
Regarding prices, TFO's Signature II runs about $129. the Clearwater is $198 and the Sage, well the Sage Vantage runs about $250.
If I was to purchase another rod, I would opt for a 5wt TFO since it is difficult to throw something like a big smallmouth fly (a large wooly bugger).
But, again, try them out. If you know somebody who does fly fish, ask him to let you test on grass.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:12pm - Mar 19,17 
If you're looking for a beginner fly rod check out the Cabelas Three Forks Series. My son's fraternity had an auction two years ago. I tied up a bunch of flies for them along with an 8' 4 wt Three Forks Outfit (rod, reel, line, and leader)that I bought from Cabelas. Before I turned it over to the fraternity I decided to try it out. What a sweet casting rod and the whole outfit was $160.00. Make sure and check it out.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:42pm - Mar 19,17 
Have you ever considered a Tenkara style rod? Basically a fly rod without a reel, you can cast a level line (mono) or furled line and even light fly line. Rods range in length but I like 11-12' ft rods-- they telescope down to 22" or so. I have flyfished for years and find myself enjoying the simplicity of Tenkara. Best part is the cost, check out Badger Tenkara, Tenkara USA, Tenkara Rod Company etc, you can easily meet your budgetary requirements.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:42am - Mar 20,17 
Thanks all.
Never heard of tenkara style. Very interesting.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:25pm - Mar 20,17 
Have you figured out what rod you're going to spring for? You missed out yesterday...

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:50pm - Mar 20,17 
I've got a 9' St. Croix Triumph with a Redington Surge reel, spoiled with backing and Rio Gold floating line. Line, rod and reel are like new.

$100 and it's yours if you can pick up downtown (walking distance from where you work).

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:57pm - Mar 20,17 
So awesome, good looing brown. I found a cheap Redington 9' 5wt combo on craigslist I plan on picking up tonight. Couldn't beat the price but I'm still actively hunting for a solid setup somewhere inbetween a 7'6" and 8'6" 2-4wt. Gonna test my buddies orvis setup this weekend and make some comparisons. Have a bid on a st. Croix imperial on ebay at the moment.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:04pm - Mar 20,17 
$75? I'd rather see it used than sitting in the closet. That's like buying the reel and getting line and rod free.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:09pm - Mar 20,17 
Handler wrote:
I've got a 9' St. Croix Triumph with a Redington Surge reel, spoiled with backing and Rio Gold floating line. Line, rod and reel are like new.

$100 and it's yours if you can pick up downtown (walking distance from where you work).

5 wt?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:12pm - Mar 20,17 
yep

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:13pm - Mar 20,17 
This is the reel. Mine is rigged and ready though.

Redington 5/6

http://www.cabelas.com/product/REDINGTO ... lsrc=aw.ds

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:14pm - Mar 20,17 
This is the line I think.

https://www.rioproducts.com/products/floating/rio-gold

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » The Tackle Box » Check your Fly
Jump to: