Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:20am - Aug 15,16 
Finally fixed the broken tip on my 7 wt rod so I'm able to get back on the river chasing some carp.

I caught this guy on a grey rabbit Clouser Swimming Nymph.

A homeowner was watching me and called me over to show me a honey hole with a current break right behind his house. He said the carp and smallies stack up along the break. Sure enough, a short time later, I caught another carp (a little smaller) and a baby smallmouth.

Edit - sorry - I can't figure out how to post this picture

[img][IMG]http://i91.photobucket not approved for posting pictures.com/albums/k315/smittyp83/carp_zps6yrbmynx.jpg[/img][/img]

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:50am - Aug 17,16 
Hey - got it to work! I guess following the directions was a good idea!!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:52am - Aug 17,16 
Great pic, great catch, I'm sure it was a great fight as well.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:17pm - Aug 17,16 
You had a great fight and I am heartened to hear of people catching carp on flies. I will need to try a clouser. I reported snagging (?) a carp in the west branch of the DuPage on my 3wt fly rod. He got off but my failing to turn him makes me think I hooked him in the rear. What size Clouser? What size leader and tippet? I will need to break out my 5wt.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:05am - Aug 19,16 
That's a gorgeous picture.

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:37pm - Aug 19,16 
chuckt wrote:
You had a great fight and I am heartened to hear of people catching carp on flies. I will need to try a clouser. I reported snagging (?) a carp in the west branch of the DuPage on my 3wt fly rod. He got off but my failing to turn him makes me think I hooked him in the rear. What size Clouser? What size leader and tippet? I will need to break out my 5wt.

Thanks - Carp are my primary target when I'm on the river.

Just for reference - From the butt end of the rod to the top of the cork is 14", so you can see this carp was a good 2' long and about 12 lbs. I use a 7 wt St Croix Avid rod with an Orvis Big Game reel. I use a 12# flouro as a tippet for these bigger fish (and I see this one has a nice wind knot it it!!)

I believe I tied the nymphs on a size 6 hook. Here's some pics of the flies in a couple of colors. Also, here's the video where I found the recipe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXv4vQNgfpo

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:07pm - Aug 30,16 
HEAVY DUTY!!! Your setup can handle anything swimming. Those flies look really buggy; I can see why the carp are attracted to them. Do you cast then let the fly sit on the river bottom? Do a strip and let the fly fall back to the bottom? I have tried to attract carp with wooly buggers and, one time, I watched the carp eyeing my bugger while I let it sit motionless for a minute. I gave it a tiny jerk and the carp just swam off. Like it knew where I bought it and how much it cost..

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:52am - Sep 1,16 
chuckt wrote:
HEAVY DUTY!!! Your setup can handle anything swimming. Those flies look really buggy; I can see why the carp are attracted to them. Do you cast then let the fly sit on the river bottom? Do a strip and let the fly fall back to the bottom? I have tried to attract carp with wooly buggers and, one time, I watched the carp eyeing my bugger while I let it sit motionless for a minute. I gave it a tiny jerk and the carp just swam off. Like it knew where I bought it and how much it cost..

IMHO - a 7 wt set up is the way to go for carp like this from a river. It's got enough backbone to fight a big fish against the river's current, but it's not such a heavy outfit that you can't cast smaller flies. This particular carp was pushing 12 lbs, and there's a lot bigger fish in there! I'd be afraid of snapping my 5 wt trying to fight one.

With a nymph or wooly bugger, it depends on the water I'm fishing. I'll let it drift in a fast current and strip it in slow current. It drops to the bottom because it's weighted (lead wire) but I try to keep it moving because it tends to get caught up in the rocks.

Profile WWW  

Board index » The Tackle Box » Check your Fly
Jump to: