Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:36pm - Jan 4,15 
new member to this site.been checking the reports here for a while.just seeing if anyone is tying anything they use locally.will post what i am doing as i get some finished

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:44am - Jan 15,15 
For panfish I do well with foam bugs. For bass and pike I tied some rabbit strip leeches that worked. Bass also like the foam frogs I found on you tube. When I figure out how to post pics from my phone I can show them.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:37pm - Feb 15,15 
I tie but haven't tied a fly in probably a year. I tie a fly on a #10 3x long nymph hook. I use bright color marabou feathers for the tail, and then wrap them forward for the body. You can use some copper wire wrapped over the body to add weight and protect the feathers. Here is an old video I made of tying one- http://youtu.be/FCYg0RGF84c

Michael

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 07:49pm - Feb 15,15 
Here is a first try at some ice flies, there is a learning curve though. Going to get better with much more practice, but want to see how these perform before a big investment in time is made.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:37am - Feb 16,15 
At first , on my phone some of those looked like you were using scud thin skin. But I see now that it is a full coating.
Is that an epoxy ? If so I would imagine it needs to be quick dry or you would be turning your vice like a rod wrap drier for quite some time.
Nice stuff . Would you mind telling us what you used for the coating ?

:shock
wsj_outdoorsman wrote:
Here is a first try at some ice flies, there is a learning curve though. Going to get better with much more practice, but want to see how these perform before a big investment in time is made.

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 07:03pm - Feb 16,15 
Well Sailbad, it is epoxy and it was turned by hand in a forceps, not a vice. Each once about a 15-20min undertaking. Only way to get that humpback look seen on those critters in my camera. 8)~

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:03pm - Feb 16,15 
Cool. If you end up not wantig to invest all the sweat equity you can use scud back too. I can't tell if you added weight to the bodies, but the epoxy will add buoyancy .
Good luck with them.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:20am - Feb 17,15 
They are wrapped with wire for weight due the the epoxy, wanted them to have almost neutral buoyancy. Used gold and silver wire and some thread for color in the see through bodies.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:19pm - Apr 4,15 
I tie lots of patterns for fresh and salt water. What exactly are you fishing for, and where are you fishing? If you narrow it down a bit I could answer you post.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:56pm - Apr 4,15 
flydoc44 wrote:
I tie lots of patterns for fresh and salt water. What exactly are you fishing for, and where are you fishing? If you narrow it down a bit I could answer you post.

What do you like to target around here?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:30pm - Apr 6,15 
just wondering what others are tying for gills bass carp,i have my tried and true patterns would post some pics but they wont let me yet

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:48pm - Apr 6,15 
the hersh wrote:
just wondering what others are tying for gills bass carp,i have my tried and true patterns would post some pics but they wont let me yet

Wooly buggers and more wooly buggers. Also wooly bugger variants .
Backstabbers work very well for carp, as do truer looking craw patterns.
Bass, like pike will take just about anything , depending on style of fishing , clarity, temps. Same stuff that triggers for non-fly fishing.
Foam ants are killers and very fun for gills.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:06am - Apr 7,15 
There's a fly shop by Armitage and Leavitt. It's just a house an old man lives in. He converted the 2nd floor to a fly shop. http://www.danstackleservice.com. Talk to him. Don't be discouraged by how it looks inside. He gives a lot of freebies.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:06pm - Apr 23,15 
To answer you Sailbad,
I flyfish for for smallmouth, salmon and trout on the Big Lake, smallies and white bass on the Kank, I pond hop for largemouth and bluegills and wade around for smallmouth and panfish in Hickory Creek. And any time I can get to the ocean I find a way to flyfish (saltwater fish are so much more fun than fresh)!
So, needless to say, I've tied just about everything from small terrestrials to large bass bugs, clousers to deceivers, sliders to seaducers, puglisi's to merkins.....well , you get the idea. I can tie just about anything if I have a recipe. (kind of like China , good at copying but not really innovative.)
Just wish I could fish more.....as the weather continues to suck.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:08pm - Apr 23,15 
To answer you Sailbad,
I flyfish for for smallmouth, salmon and trout on the Big Lake, smallies and white bass on the Kank, I pond hop for largemouth and bluegills and wade around for smallmouth and panfish in Hickory Creek. And any time I can get to the ocean I find a way to flyfish (saltwater fish are so much more fun than fresh)!
So, needless to say, I've tied just about everything from small terrestrials to large bass bugs, clousers to deceivers, sliders to seaducers, puglisi's to merkins.....well , you get the idea. I can tie just about anything if I have a recipe. (kind of like China, good at copying, but not really innovative.)
Just wish I could fish more.....as the weather continues to suck.

Board index » The Tackle Box » Check your Fly
Jump to: