Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:40am - Mar 16,14 
I have made up my mind to get a 3wt rod. But I am not ready to part with a few hundred bucks not yet. So, I googled and found 2 rods at "my" price. Cabela's has a Redington Trout Classic (7-1/2') for about $90 and Bass Pro has the TFO Signature II for $120. Both in the same ballpark. I am leaning to TFO since it is a 2pc (I think that every section becomes a discontinuity and singularity point in the bending equation of the rod- think of a beam function). But Redington should put out a decent rod also.
My other motive was to acquire a glass rod and I see that the mfrs are rushing to embrace them like wide ties returning to the Men's Warehouse (after shunning glass in favor of graphite). Since I also have a Heddon Black Beauty of which I purchased about 50 years ago, I prefer its liveliness over my Sage Vantage. Here is where my Bohemian-ness comes in. I buy the Redington for $90 which gets me an Eagle Claw fiberglass for almost free (they run about $35) to goof around with.
Has anybody used the TFO or Redington?
Maybe I have been in the house too long. Beware! hahah

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:02pm - Mar 16,14 
Think we're of the same cloth... considering price point. I've looked at TFOs and Redingtons. I went with Redington both times; I have a 7 and 9 wt. I can't weigh in on the 3wt. But, as far as customer service I can't complain. I had cracks develop on my 9wt between the 2nd and 3rd sections connect. Sent it back and in a few weeks got it back. Maybe that'll help your position? But, with these brands good customer service and warranties seems to be an industry standard. Never casted a TFO. Maybe find a nice(r) 3wt on ebay within your price point?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:54pm - Mar 26,14 
I bought the TFO. It was a toss up but I like the idea of 2 sections vs 4, it was Made in Korea vs Made in China (Redington), and the TFO has a nice color and I know the fellows at the Bass Pro in Bolingbrook. The TFO was $119 plus tax and the Redington would have been $90 + $14 delivey + tax (so another toss up).
Blkreider, from googling the reviews, you are not the only one that had a Redington break. This is a point of which I did not like although the Trout Classic is supposed to be a slower rod (which I prefer).
But the deal is done and all I need is warmer weather and the river to be gentle.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:42pm - Mar 28,14 
I took the TFO and my Heddon fiberglass out in the yard, today. In comparison to the 3wt TFO, my 5wt, 9ft Heddon felt like a telephone pole! In fact, I was amazed that I was using the Heddon for maybe 3-4 hours without a break on the Duper. Man, my left arm must have been like Popeye's, last year, and I must have lost of it during the winter hiatus.
I can see that the 3wt will be limited to throwing smaller flies rather than a #10 wooly bugger. Although fairly stiff, it doesn't seem to have the power. In contrast, the Heddon just flips one out there. And this is okay since I bought the TFO for throwing a smaller fly for bluegills. Can't go wrong for $120.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:06am - Mar 29,14 
Tomorrow, my son and I will be in the backyard throwing line. He has a 5wt, Orvis Clearwater and I also have a Sage. So, we will be casting and comparing. His 5 year old will be over and it will be interesting to see how he tries the rods. Nice day, sunny and warmer, other than being on the river this is the next best for awhile.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:00pm - Mar 30,14 
Definitely a difference between the 3 wt and 5wt. And, the 3wt more for delicate presentations. With your new TFO 3wt are you using a 3wt line or did you overweight it with a 4wt line? The biggest question is whatcha gonna target with the new 3wt?! Panfish? Trout?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:43pm - Mar 30,14 
blkreider, a big difference between a 5wt fiberglass and a 3wt graphite! Like between pounds and ounces. I am going to target anything that swims knowing my expertise (I am not jmdog who routinely rocks the house with his talents). Seriously, the Duper has a good population of bluegills and rockbass which will take a smaller fly. I did overline it with a 4wt of which I bought at the Orvis store (and they not only spooled my line on the reel but also gave me the backing gratis).

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:55am - Mar 31,14 
Rock bass are fun to catch... even on a 7wt they can put a nice bend on the rod.

If you're ever on the Kankakee and see an asian dude... it's probably me. Come over and say hi. I don't know any kung fu, but watch out for my backcast!! hahahaha

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:31pm - Mar 31,14 
You're on blkreider!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:17pm - Apr 25,14 
Well, the proof is in the pudding. I took the 3 wt TFO and waded the West branch of the Duper, this afternoon, for 2 hours just trying the rod out in actual conditions. I have overloaded it with a 4 wt, weight forward line and an old 6X tapered leader. Using a #14 humpy then changing to a #10 autumn bugger, the rod was easy to cast. I was not looking for distance but accuracy and how the line laid on the river. I am no pro at casting and found the rod enjoyable. I would term it medium to fast action.
Now, getting any bites (none) is another story!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:14pm - May 7,14 
I used the TFO on the west branch of the DuPage, today (see my response in "what's happening"), and the rod is getting to be more enjoyable as I use it more. It gives me the feel of my fiberglass (almost) yet is really light and I have not trouble tossing from a #14 Humpy to a #10 autumn bugger. Had fun landing a sucker on it so it has the backbone. With its performance, I would hazard a statement that I would opt for a 5wt TFO vs my Sage Vantage. Anyway, that is my opinion.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:40am - Jun 4,14 
Update...The TFO still gives very good performance (or I am somehow getting better at this casting business) while throwing #10 wooly buggers down to #14 humpeys. I also do not find any hindrance with it being 7-1/2 ft vs my 9 ft, 5wt.

Board index » The Tackle Box » Check your Fly
Jump to: