Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:15pm - Sep 24,13 
I have been thinking of buying a light (3 weight), 7'6" rod. The 3 weight will match the size of fish I usually catch. :lol: I have been saying that I enjoy my very old Heddon 5 wt fiberglass since it gives a lot of life when fighting fish. It is not merely a stick. With a 3 wt, I initially thought of fiberglass but am now backing off since I may get too much limber so it would act like a noodle. You fellows (who especially fish the small streams) that fish 3 wts must have a ton of experience to help me make a choice. What are your thoughts?
While on this subject, do you overline with a 4wt?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:33am - Sep 25,13 
I have a Sage Launch 8'6" 3wt. I enjoy casting it. Are you worried about a glass rod being too much of a slow action rod with it being too limber? Or, just when you're fighting a fish? I say if you like to mix it up then try a graphite or carbon rod. I wouldn't overline a 3wt, but may depend on what you plan to cast with it.

Wish I could help more. I don't have much experience with fiberglass, but recently thinking of getting one.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:21pm - Sep 25,13 
I enjoy the 5wt fiberglass Heddon or my 5wt Sage (both 9 ft) since the fiberglass is an easier cast because it tells you when it is loading up. It also out performs the graphite when fighting fish. But this is a 5 wt, 9ft so a 3 wt, 7-1/2 ft may be too flexible in fiberglass. The only advantage that I have felt, in graphite, is weight of the rod and how that weight creates a moment on the wrist.
The fibergalss is more indestructible. I noted this by easily breaking the tip off a graphite ultralight rod merely catching the rod tip in the bushes.
Redington seems to make a nice 3wt graphite in the right price range for me.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:30pm - Sep 25,13 
Check out the fiberglass manifesto. He also has a rod tryout program.

Board index » The Tackle Box » Check your Fly
Jump to: