Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:35pm - Apr 30,13 
Well since I was back in Joliet for work and saw some nice weather forecasts I decided to put some time aside on Friday and Sunday to try to hook up on my first carp on the fly rod. I'll cut this into a section for each day.

Friday: With the heavy rains over the past week, some of the spots I had planed were a no-go due to both the rise in water level and the clarity since I had planned on wading. After thinking for awhile, I decided on a small creek near my house that has a nice area with an open spot that is great for casting. When I arrived, water clarity was 3-4 inches at best and the water level was about a foot above normal. Decided to tie on a wolly bugger that was Orange with a hint of black on the back end which made it look like a pretty good crayfish. Not exactly sure what size it was though. Since this river has a very muddy bottom, I was able to find the carp by looking for the bubbles that would rise as they rooted on the bottom. After around an hour of casting and scaring lots of carp due to both failed casts and just walking into them since the clarity was so bad, I finally hooked into a nice 5-7 lb carp! Even though I wasn't able to see the actual bite in the water, I was luckily able to notice the line stop slowly floating down river and try to sneak by against the current. No picture of this fish because 1. I was so excited for my first carp on the fly I completely forgot and 2. This carp had some issue with his tail that made me want to release him ASAP so I didn't cause him any pain. After that once nice fish, the bite shut down probably because the fish tore up the whole creek during the fight and scared everyone around.

Sunday: With the creek still having 3-4 inches visibility, I decided on a small pond that I knew. With two friends in the car who challenged me to a fish-off with fly rod V. Spinning gear and corn, I was determined to show them what was what. While my friends set up in our regular spot and got a few lines with corn out, I put on the waders and snuck around to the other side of the pond where a little creek feeds into it. Usually, this creek has a very small water flow but with the recent rain, it was moving about 2-3x the normal amount of water. While the rest of the lake has a very mud/quicksand bottom, the area from the mouth of the creek to around 10 feet out has a great pebble/gravel bottom where I was able to stand. Unlike the creek too, this pond had around a foot of water clarity After casting for around 10 minutes, I missed one bite which was on the same orange fly. Sadly, that fish took my fly and I was left saddened and stumped on what to tie on next. I decided on a wolly bugger about the same size but green with flashy materials. In around another 10 minutes I was able to hook up again but just like last time I was left flyless! Finally I took the time to REALLY tie this fly on which was again a wolly bugger but this time black with red highlights. With this fly and it's giga-knot, I ended the day with 3 fish in around 40 minutes while my friends across the way left with 0!

The Verdict:
An awesome weekend where I was able to get another species on the fly rod AND proved that the fly rod can beat corn on some days!

Hope everyone else can have a chance to enjoy trying this sometime!

Good Luck!
-Matt

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:41pm - May 1,13 
Hey Matt,
Nice story. That had to be a blast on a fly! Keep up the reports. Hopefully I'll join those reports soon.

BigDub

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:29pm - May 1,13 
Thanks BigDub! Hope you get a chance soon! I have 1 more week of school and then a weeks vacation but after that I'll hopefully be able to start putting up more reports!

Good luck!
-Matt

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:22pm - May 28,13 
Way to score your first carp, Matt! I will not lie, fly fishing for carp is my absolute favorite way to spend the day. While you seemed to do better with that last knot, don't be afraid to up your tippet to a 3x or 4x especially in that murkier water. Keep it up and keep 'em coming!

Board index » The Tackle Box » Check your Fly
Jump to: