Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:33pm - Mar 23,13 
Haven't had any luck on Root this year. But that could certainly just be me. I had heard the Milwaukee is another good spot. It's hard to know if its the river or the person without reports. Would really appreciate any reports. Thanks everyone for past help. I hope to be te one helping in the future.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:49pm - Mar 23,13 
Not many people will report on the Root because it's such a thin river with limited access that will fill up fast when reports hit the net.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:11pm - Mar 23,13 
ahhhhhhh...i see how the game is played! Thanks for the tip Marc

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:32pm - Apr 2,13 
I am heading up to the Root this weekend. Likely Sunday. All are welcome if you want to group together to fight the hoards. But seriously, I know very little, but am always up for learning more or passing on the little i do know.

PM if you want to meet up.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:42pm - Apr 2,13 
Some reports of catching last week. Lots of true steel hunters aren't keeping fish, so they like to keep as little pressure on the rivers as possible.

That said as long as the water is cold there are fish to be found.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:49pm - Apr 5,13 
I am having trouble with tactics all. So, I have an 8 weight, 9 foot, with a variety of flies. Originally 9 ft leader(2x).

So I arrive on at the river, should I be looking shallow or deep water. It is my impression deeper the better. I want to be fishing pockets/holes. Please correct if I am wrong.

Second, will 9 ft leader be able to get deep enough, fast enough? Should I use some split shot? Or should I use trial and error, repeat whatever works? If this approach, where would you start?

Third, absolutely crucial, yet unknown to me. Can I fish both up and down stream? Or only up and across? I know the up and across stream is a common approach (45 deg)? Please correct if false. Should I be casting distance, or primarily roll casting?

Basically, I need a step by step approach if someone has the time to entertain me.

Thanks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:56pm - Apr 5,13 
Steelhead guys in the winter love to float spawn sacks but you can get fish on flies. As the temps warm they become more and more active and they start heading out.

Fishing pools is exactly what you want to be doing.

How you present a fly to a fish depends on the circumstances no amount of fourm talk is going to teach that. Just have to put in time on the water. I've been slacking off on those rivers myself.

Dam kids.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:43pm - Apr 5,13 
When you say float spawn sacks do you mean spinning reel, bobber, and spawn sacks? ie no fly fishing?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:24pm - Apr 5,13 
As far as rod set up...I use a 9 wt. however the tactic is what is termed chuck and duck basically. I know a lot of people frown on it but if it's done correctly can be very effective. 12 lb. mono to three way swivel, leader of 6, 8 or 10 lb usually 2 to 4 ft and a small piece of mono tied with split shot to drift your fly same speed as the current. Flies used leeches, egg sucking leaches, egg fly patterns and then a whole list of mostly florescent flies with a lot of flash. Finding the fish can be ahead or behind ripples, along a seem, in front of a whole or behind, along the bank, behind or along breaks in the water rocks, logs. Just have to try them all out and observe. Lots of guys float spawn or jigs tipped with waxies. Others throw spinners. If you go there you will see it all, even alot of illegal and unethical methods. Best bet is to cast upstream and let the current do the work. Water flow is very important to your method and where the fish are holding. Good Luck! Better bet may be the Milwaukee.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:40pm - Apr 8,13 
One little rainbow, about the size of a golf fish on steroids. i dont know what to do. I have trouble even noticing the bites

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:36am - Apr 9,13 
Good bottom contact is a must. Get on the root go by the golf course. I fish a double egg pattern and use clam shot #7. I put on enough that I'm really slamming bottom. When I tie on a piece of 8 lbs floro to my leader I leave a tag end on my knot 3-4" long. I put the clam shot there. If I snag, I grab the l line and pull by hand, this pulls the weights of by I get my rig back. Chrt and glitter orange have been killer for me on the root. Look for good gravel runs and sometimes just wAtching for a flash of a fish lets you know they are there. If you see a bed,fish behind it first. You can pick off the males first and then go for the big girl if she about to lay. Hope this helps everyone. Good luck.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:37pm - May 5,13 
No luck again. I went through Lincoln park and the park just south of there.

Board index » The Tackle Box » Check your Fly
Jump to: