Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:32pm - Feb 18,13 
All,

I've been only once, and I want to throw together two set ups for local streams. While dreaming I would like to catch panfish, bass, northern, and whatever trout they stock. I don't know what is actually in there however. So any and all suggestions welcome.

I would like to keep it under $50 for each set-up.

Please post E-Bay pitfalls, general requirements I need to keep an eye out for, and believe it or not, the past comments were not as helpful as I thought. I have spend about 3 hours reading in the past week or so without much luck. Links to tabs that explain are just as helpful. I had problems locating with the search function.

Thanks all.

Also, I know floating line/flys are easier to learn, but what will have more success do you think? I live in McHenry County, and plan to fish the hell out of the Nippersink in Glacial Park. Thanks again.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:29am - Feb 19,13 
Under 50 dollars will be difficult. How much room to cast do you have? How big is the water?

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:38am - Feb 19,13 
I bought a cheap fly set up last year off of Ebay so I could have a second back-up and let my buddies use it. The prices for fly gear on the auction site will go up around Mid-Late March. Your best bet will be to find the rod separate from the reel. I was able to find a couple really nice deals on the rod last year; I ended up with a used $100 rod for $32 that I won in an auction. The reel I got was a cheapo from China, took a month to get to me, but I spent less than $20 on the reel including shipping instead of buying the same reel from an American seller and paying $60 plus shipping.

When I bought my fly-reels for my straighline ice combos, a month and a half ago, I saw a few nameless reels going in the $40 range but they included the backing, floating line, leader, and tippet material. When you're starting your search, use the most general terms possible for what you're looking for (e.g. fly, rod, fish, fly reel, ect.). It is worth spending the extra time to sift through all the non-related stuff because your best deals will come from the sellers who do not know how to best list their item.

PM me if you have any other questions. I also have a 7' Eagle Claw Pack-It Spinning-Fly rod that was use for an hour and put back into the origianl packaging; you can PM me if you're interested in that too.

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:00pm - Feb 19,13 
First off, I would NOT recommend buying a cheap, junk fly rod. With a little looking you can easily find a decent rod and reel. Make sure you match the weights between the rod and reel and of course line. Don't waste your time on junk. You would have a much better time with a quality set-up. Combos are cheaper than buying individual rods and reels.
It's a good tip to check ebay and Amazon for deals, but not so good to buy junk IMO.

If you are looking to target small trout and panfish etc... I would use a 3 weight.

Small to medium size trout or any similar size fish... a 4 to 6 weight.

Steelhead, Coho Salmon, Smallmouth Bass, Largemouth Bass etc... 6 to 8 weight.

Chinook Salmon, Carp or any other larger size species 8 weight+

Personally I would look on Amazon or Ebay or just go to http://www.redington.com/fly-fishing-outfits/ and make a good decision. These rods are made in the US, have phenomenal performance and have a lifetime warranty.

Rods
http://www.amazon.com/Berkley-Cherrywood-Piece-Guide-Line/dp/B000E73MKY/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&qid=1361303731&sr=8-33&keywords=fly+rod

http://www.amazon.com/Daiwa-Algonquin-A-9-Feet-Fly-Rod/dp/B0040Q2ZU8/ref=sr_1_63?ie=UTF8&qid=1361302284&sr=8-63&keywords=fly+rod

http://www.amazon.com/Berkley-Cherrywood-Piece-Guide-Line/dp/B000E73ML8/ref=sr_1_89?ie=UTF8&qid=1361302350&sr=8-89&keywords=fly+rod

http://www.amazon.com/Crystal-River-Cahill-99%25-Graphite/dp/B0000DZTUQ/ref=sr_1_95?ie=UTF8&qid=1361302530&sr=8-95&keywords=fly+rod

Reels
http://www.amazon.com/Sage-4500CF-Series-Fly-Reel/dp/B00512X02W/ref=sr_1_142?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1361302978&sr=1-142&keywords=fly+reel

http://www.amazon.com/Redington-Pursuit-Fly-Fishing-Reel/dp/B004BUKP3M/ref=sr_1_48?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1361302742&sr=1-48&keywords=fly+reel

http://www.amazon.com/Waterworks-Lamson-Konic-Extra-Spools/dp/B00333O6UG/ref=sr_1_85?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1361302870&sr=1-85&keywords=fly+reel

http://www.amazon.com/Okuma-S-903-5-Cascade-Combo-9-Feet/dp/B000B6DA96/ref=sr_1_88?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1361302916&sr=1-88&keywords=fly+reel

These are some suggestions. You could also check Ebay. But personally, I would recommend the Redington setups.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:13pm - Feb 19,13 
I sell a lot of things on ebay and buy some a decent amount of hunting gear on their too. The thing that I would recommend the most it if you find something you like follow a couple rules:

1) Make sure the seller has at least a 98% positive feedback. There are always a few buyers that pop up that a seller can never make happy and leave negative feedback, but anything over 98% with at least a 50 feedback number.

2) This is one that I follow when I buy trailcameras on ebay. See how many the seller has available and how many they have sold. I only buy trail cameras from someone who has sold at least 10 and the higher the number the better. If they are still selling them after they have sold that many, people haven't been complaining of they would have left negative feedback. Plus, with a higher quantity of the same item, sellers usually try and have the lowest price giving you the advantage.

3) make sure for at least a 14 day return policy. You may have to pay return shipping but you'll only be out a few bucks. Any type of new product should have a 14 return policy, especially id they have less than 200 positive feedbacks.

These are just my opinions. I have a few sellers accounts with over a 1000 positive feedbacks so I've dealt with a lot on ebay. Good Luck!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:10pm - Feb 19,13 
Well i know nothing about fly fishing but being the guy that i am after seeing some guy catch all kinds of crappie with a fly fishing rod back in 08 while in Omaha,Ne I bought a white river dogwood canyon from bass proshop. i only used it twice and then it was put away.since i have no use for it ill let it go for $65 the reel has some very small discoloration spots but other than that is fineif interested shoot me a pm.if traveling from afar4 i might even take $50 for it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:31pm - Feb 20,13 
All, thank you. Just reading and digesting.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:42pm - Feb 22,13 
Still looking. Thanks for the links. That is exactly what I wanted. Any brands to steer towards or away from. I was hoping to use the buy it now function. FYI. Plastic v metal reels?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:41pm - Feb 22,13 
These are brands you want; Sage, Lamson, Scott, Orvis, Winston, G-Loomis, Redington and others. You may want to even try a Cabella's rod. Seriously, I never thought I would like a rod like that, but a few of my clients had them. I gave them all a few casts. I was surprised by the quality. If someone would have asked me, "Would you ever use a Cabellas rod?" I would have said no probably not, but after using them, they weren't bad at all. Also, look for Temple Fork Outfitters, (their rep calls me a few times a year, haha) St. Croix is ok too.

Stay away from no name brands. I'm glad I could help. Stay away from cheaper Okuma, Scientific Anglers, Crystal River, Eagle Claw etc. BUT! Scientific Anglers makes some INCREDIBLE fly line. Odd huh?

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:28pm - Feb 24,13 
i have to agree with pryal. the old saying stands true. you get what you pay for! echo is a good one too. rajeff sports... but i heard a lot of people recommending TFO for people starting out in the fly fishing area.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:52pm - Feb 27,13 
I am making a trek to Cabelas and Chicago Fly Fishing Outfitters this weekend. I am just too lost on ebay. I feel like I am going to get hosed

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:47pm - Mar 4,13 
I ended up buying some stuff from Cabelas: 9 ft, 4 piece, 8 wt TFO Lefty Kreh special for $75 and a Cabela's RLS 3 for $80. Plus a couple odds and ends, bag, some flys, etc. Thoughts?

And line. The line was only $25. Probably going ot need to change that at some point

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:14pm - Mar 4,13 
Thats a good starting point! Im addicted to fly fishing/tying. got a couple 7wts and a 5wt and working on a 7wt switch rod outfit for chucking stuff in the surf on the big lake. Good Luck and safe wading!

Big Coz

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:38am - Mar 13,13 
Finding the right rod for you is important but everything good can be negated by having the wrong leader for the fly being used. Since it is the extension of the line, an incorrect leader will cause the fly to not be presented to your satisfaction. A heavier fly for the leader can cause a big plop on the water and a too light leader for the fly can give you a bunch of coils at the end of your cast. Last year, it was Fly Fisherman (I think) that had a very good article on the importance of the leader.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:54pm - Mar 13,13 
<3 TFO

Board index » The Tackle Box » Check your Fly
Jump to: