Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:09am - Jan 19,13 
Been a while since I've been on here...hello to anyone on that still might remember me.

I'm looking for fellas who are experienced and adept at catching Lake Michigan carp on the fly. I've never done it before and would like to learn from someone who does.
I have access to a remote Lake Michigan warmwater discharge with "flats" like conditions in NW Indiana that gets a good run of spring carp as well as the typical mixed bag of LM gamefish.

An 8wt, waders and a 2 mile stroll down a beach is all it takes. If this is something you're into, send me a PM and we'll go from there.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:51am - Jan 19,13 
Check infisherman. I've seen a couple episodes where they target them with a fly rod, like they're fishing for bonefish. Hope this helps.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:39am - Jan 19,13 
You have access? When did that area become private? Take some #6 sparse olive closers and rubber leg buffers out there in April and go look for singles and doubles away from the big spawning schools and you'll catch a few fish. They pull and take some figuring out but it gets boring after a few fish. Once you get a hook into those lips you never lose a fish. You don't need a sink tip and if you're losing fish you're snagging them. Been a lot of guys out there the last few years going about it all wrong. If you're doing it right you should be hooking fish about Evert fourth or fifth cast. Blind casting and pulling flies through mobs of spawning fish just snags fish and spooks them. Get your flies on the bottom in front of the right fish and they'll take pretty regularly. If you're losing hooked fish they're snagged.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:08pm - Jan 20,13 
It's not private...it just takes a bit a of a hike through Cowles bog to get there. All I have to do is park at my in-laws in Dune Acres and walk down the beach.
Thanks for the tips...I've read and watched plenty of stuff regarding carp on the fly...just hoping to find someone who actually has had success. Otherwise I'll just hire a guide. Thank for the tips though!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:19am - Jan 21,13 
A question about carp in the spring. Are you refering to the time after they spawn? During the spawn, are they oblivious to eating/taking a bait? I ask this because when I fly fish the Duper in the spring, there are times when the carp are so think in the river (esp shallow areas) that they look like some kind of Willard movie (y'know, the one withthe rats) and just scatter before my feet as I wade. Their movements scare any other species of fish in the area. If one had a big net, he could scoop them up by the ton (or at least mega pounds)!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:57pm - Jan 21,13 
Yea I've caught carp with a net when the Kankakee floods by my grandpas house we would catch them in the road I. For t of his house so cd the river would flow over it. Need do e it before but I'd be willing to make the trip with you sometime. They fight a lot if you get a good one on the line.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:57pm - Apr 7,13 
Bad mojo to name the joint, but you spelled it wrong anyway. Yeah, the "death march" locale has plenty of fish there and will still produce until about the end of this month. Look for groups of slow cruising carp as there is nothing but sand there to hold them. Cast to the rear of the pod with something heavy, like a Clouser minnow or crayfish imitation and you should score pretty regularly. I know I posted a couple of threads on my misadventures there back in '08ish here. They might shed a few insights on the subject for you.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:48pm - Apr 22,13 
Spelled what wrong?
If someone wants to do the treasure hunt to find the place I'd at least point them in the right direction. The faint of heart will turn around anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowles_Bog

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:33pm - May 28,13 
:doh :noway :doh :noway
Sorry, boss. You are definitely not going to get many takers after you go and post a wiki link to the joint. That is asking for some serious bad mojo. I wish you no ill will and good luck at the spot, but blasting out the location with a internet link to the place is just not good etiquette to say the least.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:58pm - Jun 2,13 
It's not an unknown spot, People camp out there in the summer at the beach to swim off the warm water discharge, we perch fish there, and alot of people fish salmon there by the doughnut. I don't think with it being that far out of the way for the average shore angler with buckets that there will be a huge draw there to catch carp. Most people that do fish that area are doing it from their boats and are pretty ethical. If it was some of the streams in summer time, then maybe some discretion would be a bit more warranted because of how accessible alot of the sites are, and how many people just go out there to catch meat, and don't care about limits.

Board index » The Tackle Box » Check your Fly
Jump to: