Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:02am - Jun 24,12 
I attended Orvis' Fly Fishing 101 class, yesterday. Very informative and I was able to learn to tie a surgeon's knot. Tieing a knot is difficult for me since I have vision problems (the past year, it was doulbe vision while looking down. It has started to ease but I have had several bouts) so some of my knots look pretty crude. Also, the DuPage, now filled with algae, shows why a large knot is bad-it collects any garbage as well as a hook.
We were also given lessons on the fly rod and I found this worth while. Casting a graphite rod needs drastically different timing than my old, fiberglass rod. And I got to work with the Orvis Clearwater rod which weighs probably 1/4 my fiberglass (which feels like holding the bumper of a 58 Cadiilac in comparison). The graphite is so much faster' one can feel the fiberglass more readily so it seems easier to throw.
There is also an Orvis 201. If you get a post card for any of these free classes, do take advantage of them.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:13pm - Aug 1,12 
I did it also. Out of Yorktown? Great class. Knots are always so much easier at a table indoors. I had a Redington with a graphite reel, but got rid of it to get a Clearwater, which is SO much sweeter.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:08pm - Aug 2,12 
I did discover that the double surgeon's knot does not perform well when the 2 lines have a large variation in diameter. I tried attaching a 4X Rio tippett to my shortened tapered leader. While equal diameter lines held, this thinner and thicker combination resulted in my being able to pull the thin line right out of the knot.

Board index » The Tackle Box » Check your Fly
Jump to: