Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:42pm - Jun 2,12 
My Field & Stream wading boots gave out for the final time. Last year, the felt came off and I was able to repair using Shoo-Glu. This time, the one boots entire bottom came off. No hope so new boots are required. My questions are:
The felt worked well on the Duper's slimey river bottom. I am aware of the push to eliminate felt due to transporting invasive organisms like Diddy-mo but am also leery that the new soles will end up with me and a wrecked ankle or knee. At 65+ years, arthritis is the new enemy. I have researched the studs but must ask how well they hold in the rubber. It would seem to me that a better fastener can be supplied (like the bullets used on auto tires as studs-they expanded as the were installed).
I think the Duper's water quality ate whatever glue was used. Albeit, at $69 for the pair, the F&S boots were not the highest quality. But even at the $150 range, I am wondering if the same methods and glues are used. Even though I rinsed the boots after use and dried them, they lasted about 3 years (maybe 4).
I have a $100 gift at Cabela's to spend toward a new pair so I can chip in more but want a pair that will give me good footing, ankle support and not fall apart.

Any suggestions?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:13pm - Jun 3,12 
The soles on good boots are sewn on and don't fall off like glued on soles do. I use Simms boots but they don't offer felt soles anymore.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:02pm - Jun 5,12 
I second SRV. I don't own any Simms boots but I have heard nothing but good about their boots.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:53pm - Jun 5,12 
I have heard good things about these.

http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/830522/ ... me&dir=asc

Also Orvis makes some really good wading boots. Pay attention to deals.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:09am - Jun 6,12 
Thanks for your thoughts. I have some Cabela's gift certificates that will be used toward a pair. And Fathers' Day is just around the corner. Can't tell if another gift certificate is looming.

Board index » The Tackle Box » Check your Fly
Jump to: