Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:57am - Apr 5,19 
Well, I finally decided it was time to learn to cast my fly rod. I got in my truck and drove an hour and a half west, to the nearest early season rainbow trout fishing location to me, White Pines State Park in Oregon IL. Tossed around a Whooly Bugger that I later learned was way too big for rainbows. Met one awesome fly fisherman, who immediately opened up his fly box (as mine was in my truck...I forgot it) and gave me a decent fly to tie on. He also gave me half a sheet of strike indicators, as I was absolutely clueless to them, lol. Ten minutes later I had my first bite, but I pulled the fly right out of the trouts mouth, as I was way too eager. It came flying out of the water and into a tree, lol.

After that, a different fly fisherman next to me walked over and showed me the yarn egg he was having great luck with, and once again, he opened his box and gave me one. Not even five minutes later I had a rainbow hooked, and the fight was on! I took it slow, as he warned me the hooks can bend easy. Brought it in, and I slowly made my way down the steep bank, for anyone who fishes there, you know, at most points the bank is a good three to four foot drop. Got my hands in the water, and pulled up my first ever fly rod catch, and my first ever rainbow. I removed the hook, and wanted to take a quick photo. I didn't care about taking the time to find the right angle, I just wanted to snap it quick and release the fish. I tried to hold him as best I could, but he did wiggle out of my hands once, but since I was standing against the bank, it was not a tall fall.

I bought a net already, so that I am better prepared.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:55pm - Apr 5,19 
Well done, and great way to start the season. Most people that fly fish are very nice accommodating people. The two you met for sure fit that mold.

It would have been hard for me to keep that trout out of breading and butter for a Friday fish fry.

Beautiful fish, and thanks for taking the time to share your post.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:10pm - Apr 5,19 
I agree, and that's why I am going tomorrow morning for opening day! Not fly fishing though, as I am sure it will be too crowded, especially at my skill level casting, lol.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:48pm - Apr 5,19 
MrFrost wrote:
I agree, and that's why I am going tomorrow morning for opening day!

Good thing you didn't keep that fish then. :doh

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 06:00am - Apr 6,19 
Nice going Mr.Frost........I should break my fly rod out. Been sitting in the rack for almost 15 years, so and original "old school" set up. Used to fish poppers for gills and that was fun.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:18pm - Apr 6,19 
Awesome views with an awesome fish. Can't do better then that. Thanks for sharing!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:26am - Apr 8,19 
Tom wrote:
MrFrost wrote:
I agree, and that's why I am going tomorrow morning for opening day!

Good thing you didn't keep that fish then. :doh

Tom

No. I may not be experienced, but reading the rules takes no skill!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:29am - Apr 8,19 
Puregerman55 wrote:
Awesome views with an awesome fish. Can't do better then that. Thanks for sharing!

Which is exactly why I got my fly setup. I love conventional fishing ponds and rivers, but I noticed I was getting lazier and lazier, and rather than trying new fisheries, I'd hit the same pond, or the same spot on the fox. I wanted to have to drive an hour and half to a nice creek. Actually enjoy nature, and find those beautiful spots that you won't find in cities like Elgin, but yet are still totally reachable in a reasonable drive.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:30am - Apr 8,19 
wsj_outdoorsman wrote:
Nice going Mr.Frost........I should break my fly rod out. Been sitting in the rack for almost 15 years, so and original "old school" set up. Used to fish poppers for gills and that was fun.

I say dust it off and start throwing it again!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:51pm - Apr 15,19 
MrFrost wrote:

Actually enjoy nature, and find those beautiful spots that you won't find in cities like Elgin, but yet are still totally reachable in a reasonable drive.

You'd be surprised what you can find around here.....

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:59pm - Apr 15,19 
Smitty wrote:
MrFrost wrote:

Actually enjoy nature, and find those beautiful spots that you won't find in cities like Elgin, but yet are still totally reachable in a reasonable drive.

You'd be surprised what you can find around here.....

I apologize if this is someplace you're looking to not share, but if you're willing, I'd love to know where this is, and what you catch?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:41pm - Apr 16,19 
MrFrost wrote:

I apologize if this is someplace you're looking to not share, but if you're willing, I'd love to know where this is, and what you catch?

It's a secluded part of Ferson Creek

I've never really caught anything huge out of there, but there's plenty of rock bass, creek chubs, bluegill, smaller LM & SM bass and I've seen some good sized carp.

It's really just a nice quiet area and easy to wade.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:49pm - Apr 16,19 
Appreciate that, thank you!

Board index » The Tackle Box » Check your Fly
Jump to: