Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:20pm - Mar 20,17 
hmm, let me get back to you tomorrow. The setup I'm picking up tonight is literally $40 so I still have plenty of room in my budget. Could always use it as my main and the other as a backup or extra rod for a buddy that doesn't fly fish.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:23pm - Mar 20,17 
No worries. Let me know if you are interested.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:30pm - Mar 20,17 
Will do, thanks!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:45am - Mar 22,17 
When did St. Croix do a Triumph fly rod? The Rio Santo has been their cheaper, made in Mexico, fly rod for at least 7-8 years.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:41am - Mar 22,17 
thewatsonator wrote:
So awesome, good looing brown. I found a cheap Redington 9' 5wt combo on craigslist I plan on picking up tonight. Couldn't beat the price but I'm still actively hunting for a solid setup somewhere inbetween a 7'6" and 8'6" 2-4wt. Gonna test my buddies orvis setup this weekend and make some comparisons. Have a bid on a st. Croix imperial on ebay at the moment.

Just curious, but what will you be targeting around here with a 2wt- 4 wt rod?

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:57pm - Mar 22,17 
Pretty sure they rebranded the Triumph and sell it as the Rio Santo now. Anyway, it's sold and someone got a sweet deal.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:00am - Mar 23,17 
Orvis Clearwater.

Going into an Orvis store can be intimidating but they have a Fly casting 101 class, its normally on Saturday mornings in summer. It runs about 3 hours. Alot of good instruction and not much sales crap. They do give you a coupon to get a good percentage off a rod/reel combo. The clearwater rod was $275 all up before tax with this coupon.

Since then I've cast a fly guides Helios 2 and my clearwater. I can't tell the difference. Orvis Clearwater often ranks in the top 25 of fly rods tested.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:14pm - Mar 23,17 
Handler wrote:
Pretty sure they rebranded the Triumph and sell it as the Rio Santo now. Anyway, it's sold and someone got a sweet deal.

Awesome, if I didn't already commit to a 5wt I would've been all over that. Thanks for reaching out though. Word of mouth is you take great care of your gear and they are in top condition. Cheers to whomever picked up that setup!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:34am - May 24,17 
Handler wrote:

Darn, looking to get into fly fishing and this would have fit my needs perfectly. Anyone have any other recommendations on a good beginner setup in the 4-6wt range?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:49pm - May 24,17 
jhillman17 wrote:
Handler wrote:

Darn, looking to get into fly fishing and this would have fit my needs perfectly. Anyone have any other recommendations on a good beginner setup in the 4-6wt range?

How much is your total budget? Understanding that line , leader and rod quality are important. A reel is just a line holder until you get WAY up in weights and need a drag, which you do not need at all in the 4-6 weight range.

Last edited by Musky Baits on 03:22pm - May 24,17, edited 1 time in total.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:04pm - May 24,17 
Fraser588 wrote:
...The clearwater rod was $275 all up before tax with this coupon.

Since then I've cast a fly guides Helios 2 and my clearwater. I can't tell the difference. Orvis Clearwater often ranks in the top 25 of fly rods tested.

Having owned both the Clearwater and now a Helios 2, I can tell you there is a WORLD of difference in performance.
I found the Clearwater to be heavy and not as responsive as I wanted . But I bought it on eBay as a package deal and loved the line and reel that came with it. It was a cheap purchase to try out.
The analogy would be to compare a SC Premier to an Elite. The Premier and Clearwater are entry level and the Helios and Elite are as nice as it gets.
Price-wise, new, if I had to choose between a lower end SC or Orvis I'd hands down get an Imperial. Having owned and fished the crap out of both.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:34am - May 25,17 
I was looking in the $100-200 range until I get my feet a little more wet. I know that is very low by fly fishing standards, but also probably not going to use a ton so more of a beginner setup. I see that redington and TFO have some starter combo's that are in the $150 range. I like the TFO as it has lifetime warranty, so I could always upgrade the reel/line later. The redington only seems to have a 1 year warranty.

I really don't know what I need, I should probably do some more pre-purchase fact finding. I would ultimately like to get a better/used combo that will help with the learning curve and be easier to use. that's where i'm at right now...

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:47am - May 25,17 
If you are not opposed to a used rod with a lifetime warranty, eBay continuously has St. Croix Imperials, two and four piece, for $100 give or take. Tons for sale right now in your weight want. Sometimes you get combos for that...biggest bang for the buck I have come across. I love mine.
It's no Helios 2, but it is not $850 either . :wink:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:00am - May 25,17 
...forgot to mention, get the newer model Imperial. SC stopped making Imperials for awhile, everyone went apeshite and then SC brought back an even better rod. PM a seller if in doubt.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:45am - May 25,17 
Ok, thanks for the recommendation... i'll certainly take a look. Is there an easy way to tell new from old model? Any thoughts on decent reels for the money?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:47am - May 25,17 
jhillman17 wrote:
Ok, thanks for the recommendation... i'll certainly take a look. Is there an easy way to tell new from old model? Any thoughts on decent reels for the money?

The 1st letter in the serial number indicates production year. A = 2001, B = 2002, C = 2003, and so on...

As far as reels go, don't break the bank for a starter 5-wt. It's basically there to hold the line and not much else. Redington Surge reels are a decent sub-$100 reel. Also check out Allen fly reels. They have some very solid options at the lower end of the spectrum...

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:29pm - May 25,17 
jhillman17 wrote:
I was looking in the $100-200 range until I get my feet a little more wet. I know that is very low by fly fishing standards, but also probably not going to use a ton so more of a beginner setup. I see that redington and TFO have some starter combo's that are in the $150 range. I like the TFO as it has lifetime warranty, so I could always upgrade the reel/line later. The redington only seems to have a 1 year warranty.

I really don't know what I need, I should probably do some more pre-purchase fact finding. I would ultimately like to get a better/used combo that will help with the learning curve and be easier to use. that's where i'm at right now...

I started with a $40 combo I bought from a dude on craigslist. Redington Crosswater. I've since upgraded to grigg rod and it does make a big difference. Once again, a cheap (yet better) setup bought from a guy on craigslist.

What is your overall budget to get into fly fishing? And where are you planning on fishing/what are you fishing for? Fly rod/reel is just one small piece of the puzzle.

From experience (Literally just weeks after I opened this thread) I came to realize it costs a lot more than one would think....for driftless trout at least. Rod/reel setup, net, waders, wader boots, flys, leader line, tippet (mono & flouro & different sizes), floatant, indicators, etc.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:56am - May 26,17 
i already have some of the basics... like waders/boots/net. but yeah, maybe i'll put some more thought into it before jumping all in! I would need to get rod/reel/line/leader/flies.

I understand it's an addictive option in fishing, so i guess I should just consider how much I would really use it instead of regular gear.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:52am - May 26,17 
jhillman17 wrote:
i already have some of the basics... like waders/boots/net. but yeah, maybe i'll put some more thought into it before jumping all in! I would need to get rod/reel/line/leader/flies.

I understand it's an addictive option in fishing, so i guess I should just consider how much I would really use it instead of regular gear.

Ahh very nice.
And yes, it's incredibly addictive. I've done 4 day trips in the last 2 months and dream about it on the daily.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:22pm - May 26,17 
an eagle claw featherweight 5/6 will set you back 30 dollars.you can get a used tfo for 50.good line is worth the money and a decent reel is also.a strong drag is not the problem but pulling the line out of the reel constantly,you want something fairly smooth and well built.use hot sauce grease on the moving parts.light glass fods are a blast for panfish and bass and wont break as easily as carbon rods.same as any fishing.you can go as high end or low end,as technical or simple as you want.just my .02.i have 300 dollar fly rods and rods i paid 5 dollars for.i have just as much fun with the flea market finds as the ones in fancy cases/

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » The Tackle Box » Check your Fly
Jump to: