Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:44am - Nov 2,21 
Marc,

Thank you for your dedication to this idea and IMO the launch to many "newer" social media fishing sites. I for one have had some great times on here and met a few cool guys I fished with once or twice., Most importantly it was a place to share information and also be heard, laugh, and sometimes remorse. Chitown and you personally helped me to grow up and welcomed me to the midwest and I surely will miss that. I wish you the best.

I am not necessarily saying I have the time to manage this but would you entertain the idea of allowing some of us to start a ChitownAnglerRedeaux facebook private facebook group to keep the ability to connect open? or would that be overstepping the line?

If we get your blessing I'll put a post up asking for moderators and I am willing to start a google email and group together. but will need help on the management. as currently my life is blowing up. lol

-Simon

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:10pm - Nov 3,21 
THE SOUTHEND. COVERS the lake also.
Sorry to see this sight go.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:43am - Nov 4,21 
Marc, Thank you for everything you have done for this site and the community. I really appreciate all the insight from everyone and am grateful to have met alot of really great people from the site.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:27pm - Nov 4,21 
I feel the same way. I learned so much from this site and hope I was able to pass a little along the way. Fb doesn’t come close.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:43pm - Nov 6,21 
Thanks for the time and effort.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:37pm - Nov 10,21 
Thank you Marc. This site has been a huge part of my life for many, many years. It will be missed.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:30pm - Nov 11,21 
Marc,

Sorry to hear that you're shutting it down, but I certainly understand, knowing the work a site like this entails. I've been a member of Chi-town since 2005. I cannot tell you how much I learned from the site, how much I always enjoyed meeting other fishermen on and off the water, and the good times at the hosted events.

There is a definite difference between the people on here and what I've experienced on the other social platforms. The discussions here were almost always respectful. (except for that whole CDS lure thing LOL) Members here were always willing to help others learn how to fish, opposed to just posting pictures.

You are to be commended for running the site for as long as you have. You have my upmost respect and appreciation. What a run it's been!!!

Best of luck in the future,
Dale Rehus
Delirious

STAY THIRSTY, My Friends.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:12pm - Nov 13,21 
:drink Marc, sorry to hear Chitown Angler will be ending at the end of the year. I haven't been on here, much less any other site in years, but wanted to say thanks to all those that contributed to the site as well as those that I had the privilege to meet and fish with through this site. I have met many and several I call good friends through this site. Thanks for everything you have done here as well as the friendships you created because of the site. Signing out, John N :drink

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:32pm - Nov 18,21 
I too echo all of the comments made already. A great site with friendly discussion and timely reports. For many of the amateur boats out of Belmont and Montrose, this forum was the main source of relevant information, good comradery, and most importantly, which heading to use on the long run out into the lake! Cheers and thanks Marc. John

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:35pm - Nov 18,21 
Thank you Marc so much for offering a site for everyone to exchange knowledge and info for newbies or seasoned veterans. Also I liked the fact that no friction was allowed between members that turned me off to other sites. I was a late- comer to the site but forged many friendships and new fishing partners including the late Jimmy (Big Fish Ross)who I really miss. This is going to leave a hole in my computer time everyday. So thanks again and good fishing to all you guys out there that I've had contact with over the years. Keith

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:26am - Nov 20,21 
I appreciate everyone’s comments and I’m extremely fortunate that we built website that met the goal of a hassle free environment to share information and make new friends.

As it comes to an end I believe this, I just built the site, nothing more than a framework but the membership make it great. The folks that frequented the site made it a fantastic place to visit. I had nothing to do with it!

For me personally the site became a difficult place to visit! We lost two good friends this season in Tom Cwiok and Russ Gray (Rengine).

The site is just a remorseful memory of both who I hunted and fished with for 15+ years.

The best trip I ever had on Lake Michigan was with Tom. We were cruising out to the South Reef and Tom pointed south and asked “what the hell is that?” We changed our course slightly south and pulled up on the largest pod of bait fish I had ever seen, the water was literally silver. We spent the next eight hours following the pod, setting rods, having fire drills and brought at least 100 fish to the back of the boat. Tom would make me lay down on the swim platform and unhook the fish in the water, we only kept fish that were hook badly and couldn’t be cut loose in the water.

We couldn’t keep more than 4 rods in the water. It was an insane day.

We ended the day with 9 in the box, a blown spline in the lower unit and the coast guard towing us back to the harbor and stuffing us into my slip. It was by far the greatest day I have ever had fishing with a friend.

Hanging out during hunting season was also a blast and we did it often. We were bird hunting one weekend when a Pheasant got up and into a strong wind. Tom and I both swung on the bird as it passed over our shoulders and we both pulled the trigger, the bird folded up and blew out the windshield of Tom’s Suburban. It hit with such force that it blew the IPass off the windshield and into the back seat.

I was standing next to Tom, I calmly looked at him and said “I missed” we both laughed our ass off!

Russ and I spent almost twenty years together 3 slips apart in Waukegan Harbor and damn near every weekend together from April first to the end of October. We spent so much time together people thought we were brothers. Every spring our neighbors would wait for the bacon wrapped venison kabobs to hit the BBQ and it was game on, we would party well into the night.

When the boats came out of the water Russ would hunt a guy’s property he knew to clear doe’s. It was North of the border so we could shoot long guns, it was always a blast. We could always get enough for us and our kids all of which loved venison.

We were supposed to do this trip again this year on October 23, missed it by 20 days. I wish I would have gotten into the fields with him one last time.

Both guys were loved by many, and now the website just makes me sad. When I built the site I never thought that it would become an obituary for friends that we lost way too early in life.

I figured everyone was owed an explanation.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:38am - Nov 20,21 
Great memories, Marc. Re-telling these stories will keep them both alive in your heart. Well played, my friend.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:41am - Nov 21,21 
Thank you for all of your work and thank you to all of the great advice I received from all of the community.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:38pm - Nov 21,21 
Thanks to all,sorry i was more of a reader than a poster over the years.Seems a trend for various reasons.Other forums i am more involved in are struggling too .I will not migrate to Social media .Good luck and tight lines to all.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:04pm - Nov 23,21 
Thanks for the time and effort Marc!

This was the best message board for fishing, and like all those great bait shops that are gone where you spend an hour of fishing time talking and swapping stories and information, another great fisherman's resource is lost.

I don't do Facebook or any social media so if you want to keep in touch and get info on the Illinois PM me and we can exchange # as i'm on the water about every time I get a free minute.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:48pm - Nov 27,21 
Damn, I didn't hear about Russ, so sorry Marc. Loved talking to Russ at the harbor. I'm still having a hard time with Tom's passing and miss him everyday . I am still in contact with the twins and love that they continue to carry his love and passion for the outdoors, he done did well with Tommy and AJ.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:45am - Nov 28,21 
I hadn’t heard about Russ too, damn, tough times in Waukegan harbor. God bless.

Captain Jim Nelligan

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:40am - Nov 28,21 
Thank you Marc for providing this forum for all these years. So much useful information in these forums and it will be missed. I visit it at least once a day when I need a break from work.
Sorry for the loss of Tom and Russ. Augie Ralph from the Salmon Stop also passed. He helped me get started when I was cutting my teeth on the big lake and before the internet. As other's have said no social media for me - not a fan.
Take care and be well. Thank you again for all you did.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:29pm - Nov 28,21 
JohnN wrote:
Damn, I didn't hear about Russ, so sorry Marc. Loved talking to Russ at the harbor. I'm still having a hard time with Tom's passing and miss him everyday . I am still in contact with the twins and love that they continue to carry his love and passion for the outdoors, he done did well with Tommy and AJ.

Yep, both of them grew up to be outstanding men. I feel fortunate to have watched them grow up. Nothing better then when they started setting up the boats and Tom and I could just watch and bring in fish!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:36am - Nov 30,21 
This is disappointing, to say the least. I've enjoyed the site for years and, while I hate to disagree with Marc, there is really no comparable site. Facebook just doesn't cut it. You will all be missed.

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Game Bag » Sticks & Strings
Jump to: