Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:56am - Nov 8,16 
I've always shot a 3 fixed blade 100 grain Muzzy broadhead. The problem is I've lost a blood trail twice already with these. I was recently told that because they don't produce a big exit wound deer tend to bleed internally more then externally. Which is fine if you can see your deer until it drops & recover it. But what if u missed your shot a little bit & they run off with little or no blood to follow? So I'm now considering mechanical broadheads because of their cutting abilities. I've narrowed down the brand's I'd like to go with to Rage, Swacker, & Grim Reapers. I've read mostly positive reviews by the manufacturer & tests done on these. Now I want to hear from people that actually use them. I understand everyone has their personal favorite but I want to why in your opinion the ones you use are superior to others. Or even better yet war stories on the failure of these products. I shoot a 150# draw PSE Viper crossbow. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:10pm - Nov 8,16 
One thing I'm sure on regarding this is that you will not get a very consistent response. As you said, everyone has their opinion as well as things they've heard from a "buddy" of theirs or seen on tv/internet/etc. Nearly everyone I know that archery hunts uses something different. For me, it's all about what gives you confidence when you nock an arrow on your bow. As long as you have confidence in it and repeated success, then you're good to go.

Getting to that level of confidence does take some trial and error though and, when we're talking about hunting, equipment errors are unacceptable. Obviously, these things aren't cheap, but the best thing you could do would be to buy all 3 you're interested in and see which ones consistently shoot the best out of your crossbow. If that's not an option for you (buying all of them was not an option for me), then buy one, shoot it and if it flies correctly consistently, take it into the field for the real test. The biggest thing is that it does not matter how well a blade cuts or how good of blood trails it leaves if it doesn't fly out of your crossbow like you want it to.

I have not tried the Swacker or Grim Reapers but I have tried mechanical and non-mechanical NAPs (Thunderhead, Spitfires & Killzones), non-mechanical Muzzy's (MX-3's), Rage 2-blades and the G5 Havoc through a mix of buying some and trying others that my buddies had extras of. Of those, only the NAP Spitfire, NAP Killzone and Rage 2-blade consistently flew correctly out of my bow. Of those 3, the only one I've ever had an issue with was the NAP Killzone which didn't deploy its blades on a doe I shot up in Michigan a few years ago. One failure with those was all it took and I've scrapped them completely. The Rage 2-blade and the NAP Spitfire have done their job every time I've put them on target but, when it comes to entry/exit wounds and the blood trail produced, the Spitfire does not compare to the Rage. Yes, the Rage is hyped a lot. Yes, the Rage is marketed everywhere. Yes, the Rage is expensive when compared to some others. However, it has done its job every time for me and is the broadhead I feel most confident with on the tip of my arrow.

Good luck with what ever you choose and let us know how it works for you!

Formerly Anchor Management
Montrose Harbor
Channel 7
-----------------------------------------------------------

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:49am - Nov 9,16 
I have had no issues with my Rage broad heads. Both with, and without, an exit wound I have had a good blood trail. With the exit wound, there is no way I could have lost the blood; the cut-on-contact blades went through the deer's shoulder blade like it was nothing. I shoot a 53# bow, and use Rage SS heads.

I will say that EVERYONE I've talked to that has used the Rage Hypodermic have had at least one failure to deploy. My uncle lost two deer last year after switching to the Hypodermics. He is using cut-on-contact blades again this year, and hasn't lost any.

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:14am - Nov 10,16 
NO broadhead can make up for an out of tune bow, or poor shot placement.

Paper tuning a bow is essential in making sure your arrow flies straight. If it is out of tune, you could notice a significant difference between the flight of a field point and various broadheads.

Sure you can get lucky and clip an artery somewhere, but shot placement and patient tracking are critical. 5+ hours for a liver shot and 8+ hours for gut. Too many people give it 30 mins, jump em, and eventually lose em.

The deer will die, let it lie.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:51am - Nov 10,16 
Would have to say yes on the ragfe heads. The 2 blade is really a great head. However had bad esperience with the rage 3 blade. Been deer hunting a very long time and have tried most of the different style heads. The rage 2 blade has never let me down and since I have been using them I watched from the stand as all the deer have dropped with in 65 yards. The blood trail a blind man could follow.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:36am - Nov 11,16 
After much thought and tons of reading reviews and opinions I've decided to go with the 100 gr. Rage SC 2 blade. They seem to be the most reliable. Very few reports of blades not deploying and repeated time & time again they fly like field points. So I'll be taking them to the range this weekend to see it for myself and make sure my bow is happy with them before hitting the woods. Thanks for all the advice and I'll post my results in the near future.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:19am - Nov 12,16 
Slick trick Magnum 100grain 1-1/8 fly like field points and do the job.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:52am - Nov 13,16 
I use Rage 3-blades. I will switch to the 2-blades whenever I use all of the others.

Board index » Game Bag » Sticks & Strings
Jump to: