Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:37pm - Oct 24,16 
I was wondering my hunting weekend is approaching any tips and tricks to try to use on public land this halloween weekend? Should I try any scents? Any and all help appreciated.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:24pm - Oct 24,16 
I hunt alot of public, my suggestion would be to walk the furthest or deepest into the woods. Most guys are lazy and dont get out there.
But ya know public is weird, have had deer by the truck when walking back from way way out there and seeing nothing lol!!
Second-sit all day on stand, dont leave for lunch or go walking around stay put. " let thoese guys that think deer dont move after what THEY think is prime time push them right too you! ALL DEER DONT SLEEP AT NOON!
third- maby just a light dirt cover scent like stir up the leaves and roll around in it sounds stupid but they have herd and smelled everything people are crazy with that stuff, scents and lures and blah blah blah .
Fourth-do not put a ton of glow dots on trees or ribbons all over, its trash!
If you can find a game trail i would defiently sit close to one of thoes look for deer and turkey prints if human keep walking! Also if ya have a trail cam put one up for just the day on a spot you wanted to hunt to see whats moving,. might have some more pm me with where ya going.....
JAY
Thats all i got oh and GOOD LUCK BE SAFE WEAR A HARNESS!!!!!!!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:11pm - Oct 24,16 
I've had great results using Scent Away Max products for cover scent. I use the fresh earth scent, I've not used any attractants, but I've shot two deer in the last year that came in and hung out directly downwind of me. I've had a ton of deer downwind of me, and none of them have been spooked by my smell.

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:06pm - Oct 24,16 
I find that every piece of public land is different so its tough to give a general tips. I think it also depends on the type of deer you are after.

If you are looking for any deer, I say you can stick with some very light calling such as bleats and grunts. A lot of people use grunts and try to over vocalize which in turn will spook any mature buck, especially on public land. If you do grunt/bleat, don't use it too much. I tend to only grunt to get a buck's attention of he is headed in the wrong direction but vary light. I like to let the deer dictate what I do. If I'm hearing any grunting, I'll use it. If not, I'll try it "bind" here and there and see if I get any response but on public land, a lot of people do it so you can get mixed results.

I personally always use a scent killer. Your never going to fool a mature deer's nose no matter what you do but you can help not leave scent on the way in. You'll get younger bucks and does (1.5 and maybe a 2.5 year olds) that may not associate you with trouble but it won't work with mature deer, it doesn't matter what you do. My scent control is mainly for the walk in and not leaving scent on any grass/branches. I try and use the thermals to my advantage to help with scent control. A lot of people mistake fooling a deers nose with great scent control while it's normal thermals carrying your scent up. The best way to monitor this is to use common milkweed. I carry it in a old film canister and pull it out to watch the thermals and wind. People use powder but you can only see that for a few feet. With milk weed, you can watch it twist and turn and catch different wind streams and thermals. I've had plenty of deer downwind and release a little milkweed and watch it fly 40 feet over there head because the thermals are taking it up. Play the wind and play the thermals and you'll have more luck.

In most cases, farther from the parking lot it better. I love google maps and use it to find the spots farthest from the parking lot and find where the deer will most likely be found. I also look for doe bedding area and try to set up downwind of those trying to get cruising bucks this time of year.

I will say that the biggest buck I have killed on public was about 70 yards from the parking lot. Everyone was working to get 500 to 1000 yards off the road and there were a few small patches of timber. This buck was watching everyone walk out and knew no one was going to bother hunting him in this spot. This isn't the case all the time but if you can find these spots they are golden. I know of a spot at a Chicago area public land bow spot that is absolutely loaded with deer sign and it looks like its two highways running though. This spot is about 100 yards from the parking lot and I don't think anyone knows its there because they head for the more traditional out of reach spots. I'm not saying this is always the case but in certain areas it can happen. Going deep though will usually help with odds. There was a study in Pennsylvania that was a big public hunting area and with the survey they did, 80% of hunters stay within 200 yards of the road so going deep is usually the best thing to do.

I also try and us the other hunters to my advantage. Most hunters call it quits around 10A so using them to get deer moving helps. If I do leave for lunch, its usually for an hour right at noon. Be back in the stand for the PM hunt before anyone else, use them as drivers. Sunday hunts around the midwest (especially gun) I try to make sure I don't leave the stand until the Bears/Packers/Lions start their games and back in my stand by the 4th quarter. This works very well in Packer land, thats for sure!

Just go out and have fun is the main thing. This weekend is good on the solar calendar since the moon will rise and set during the day or close to it. It should keep deer moving all day long.

Since I'm not sure where you hunting (you don't need to say) there are a few variable. Try to think of the out of the box spots and you should have some luck. I do most of my scouting in January to March so I can see the fall sign still. It really helps come fall so it may help to do that next year. Most people are too busy sitting on their couch that time of year but you'd be surprise what you can find out about deer patterns.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask questions!

Board index » Game Bag » Sticks & Strings
Jump to: