Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:48am - Oct 1,15 
OPENING DAY BOW!!
HOW DID EVERYBODY DO? HOPE EVERYBODY MADE IT BACK HOME TODAY. Lets here and see some pics and stories!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:41am - Oct 6,15 
Well....I didn't get out on opening day, but I got out on opening weekend. The northeast wind blew steady and it rained on and off in the am. Was in the woods from before sunrise til after sunset with a midday day lunch break. Hunted public land, 3 different spots. Ended up seeing 1 doe about 50 + yards right at sunset. Besides that, nothing. All in all was glad to get out for a "shake out" hunt to get the season going. Seen some other guys when loading up, most had similar reports. 1 guy shot at a doe but the arrow was deflected and went over the back. Looking forward to another hunt soon. Anyone else get out opening weekend??

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:59pm - Oct 6,15 
Didn't see a thing on the Opener. Saturday afternoon/eve was a little better. Jumped a couple does walking in, then had a 6 point 6 yards away- let him walk. Another small doe at the end of shooting hours. Haven't been out since. 8)~

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:21am - Oct 8,15 
snwblnd, not a bad move to pass the small buck, it been my experience that often you will get a big boy following the smaller bucks. If you pass a small buck be on the alert!!!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:13pm - Oct 12,15 
Shot a doe opening morning. Easy recovery. Here is my.question though. She had her offspring with her. She was still lactating. I'm pretty sure I saw the young one a couple days later. Will the young one. Make it... thoughts?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:16pm - Oct 12,15 
They won't venture far from where they lost mommy. You may have a shot at it soon.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:52pm - Oct 12,15 
It's really a toss up. Some will and some won't. If she can find another group of does to join she may have a chance, does will usually taken on orphaned fawns. Also depends on your coyote situation. If you have a pack of coyotes running around then the fawn is going to be in a bit of trouble. I personally don't shoot does with fawns anymore but I rarely shoot does anymore unless its a spot around Chicago where we are overloaded. We have had low doe numbers in the area I hunt in central Illinois so we have been trying to build our numbers back up. Last year on the three farms around us we took 3 does for around 500 acres. I may look to shoot a dry doe this year but I always worry that there is a buck right on her tail so wind up waiting too long!

Another thing I've read that if you shoot a doe with a button buck fawn(s) the button buck will usually stay in that area for most of his life since the mom isn't there to push him out. I had a doe last year with three button buck fawns. No way was I shooting her with genes like that though!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:56pm - Oct 12,15 
So two days later i.filmed a mutton buck for about an hour straight. He was all alone and I believe he was the fawn.. not.100 percent for sure but it was a different stand about 60 yards away from the kill. Also he came from the bedding area where him and mommy werer headed when she absorbed my arrow. Wonder how often I will see him. ..

Board index » Game Bag » Sticks & Strings
Jump to: