Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:40pm - Sep 28,15 
I finally brought my bow up to Chicago from Indiana to make it easier to do some shooting without having to drive back to Indiana every time. Figured I'd post this information as I know I would have found it helpful. This past weekend I checked out 3 local ranges. I know there's more, so if you have information to add, please do.

1) Strictly Archery - Shorewood, IL

While it was about the same distance as going back to Indiana for me, I was really impressed with this place. Full Archery shop with pretty much everything you could want/need as well as a 40 yard range with 16 stations and more than enough targets. Friendly/knowledgeable staff and the clientele were also fun to tell stores with. $10 for an hour of range time. So far, if I need some work done on my bow, this is the place I'd take it to.

2) Archery Bow Range Chicago - Logan Square

Decent place for a range not far from home. Only a 20 yard range and no bow shop but very friendly people working and shooting there. Their 20 yard range has 4 shooting stations and a few target options. Clientele are mostly target/tournament shooters (compared to hunters) and they have weekly leagues for 10 yard and 20 yard shooters. $10 for an hour of range time. Good place near the city to fling some arrows if you don't want to drive far or the weather is bad.

3) Belmont Harbor Archery Range - Belmont Harbor

I was finally able to check this place out. Drove by both Saturday and Sunday to find the place full of what I assume were members, so I instead went to the places mentioned above. However, I got up early before work today and checked this out. As mentioned by others on this site, the gate was open and all I had to bring was my own target. I also discussed this range with people at the 2 ranges above to confirm it is indeed open to the public (as long as the members are not using it). For me, I can't get much closer to home than this. Besides being nearby, the best part about this place is that the range is large enough that you could practice at some longer distances. Being the only one there this morning, I set my target out at 50 yards to get some distance practice since I hammered the 20-40 yard shots at the other two ranges already this weekend. Thanks to those of you that answered my previous posts about this place. Key is to definitely get there early in the morning while the members are not shooting and be sure to bring your own target. No charge!

Without a doubt, I'll try to get to Belmont as much as I can as it's the closest to me and I can shoot whatever distance I want. However, I'd really like to hear from the rest of you guys about other places nearby that are worth checking out. Hopefully this helps someone who is in the same situation I've been in trying to find a place in town to shoot at.

Formerly Anchor Management
Montrose Harbor
Channel 7
-----------------------------------------------------------

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:16pm - Sep 28,15 
I travel all around the Chicago/Milwaukee area and usually hit strictly archery. I got my bow from them a few years back and Scott is always knowledgeable about everything archery. Its a nice place and for $10 you really can't beat having an indoor archery range. I was just there last week and got some time in on the range. I don't think he really checks when your hour is up, its more $10 for as much as you want to shoot. If you shoot a Mathews, this is the place to go.

I've also shot at Glisson in Plainfield. They have a elevated 3d range that goes out to about 33 yards. Targets are a little beat up but its nice to shoot from 12 feet in the air at 3D. They also have a tower so you can shoot at different elevations at block targets. I bring a target as well if I want to shoot at distances where there isn't a block. Pretty good place. He specializes in Hoyt and dislikes Mathews. Also has an indoor range as well. If I want to shoot at elevations, this is usually where I go.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:28pm - Sep 28,15 
I've been wanting to try that Belmont outdoor range. Good to know to get there early.

For a quick round of shooting to keep yourself loose, Fishtech in Morton Grove has a 20 yard(might be 18) range. Single lane nuttin fancy, $5/ half hour.

Last Friday I shot at BPS in Gurnee. Wife and daughter shop the mall while I shoot...win win. They shortened the range at bass pro to 20 yards, but there was no one there so the range master ok'd me to backup so I could shoot out to just short of 30 yards. $7/half hour.

Haven't been there in a while, but silver springs state park has an outdoor range that goes out to 50 yards and also has an elevated platform with a 20 and 30 yard block. Bring your own target unless you want to loose your arrows to the hay. Archery range is next to the shotgun range. Free since its the state park.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:45pm - Sep 29,15 
Theres a place in elmhurst called Chicago Archery the owners name is casey hes a good guy .they have a 20 yrd range u can shoot broadheads if u bring your own target.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:48pm - Sep 29,15 
That stinks to hear that they shortened Bass Pro, it was a good range for 25 yards. 3d targets and was elevated.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:10pm - Oct 2,15 
Strictly Archery is the only shop I use anymore. Sonny at Glisson is way to on or off for me. He' just pissed that Mathews dumped him for some BAD customer service !

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:31am - Oct 4,15 
linestretcher wrote:
Strictly Archery is the only shop I use anymore. Sonny at Glisson is way to on or off for me. He' just pissed that Mathews dumped him for some BAD customer service !

He told me that Mathews bows had problems with their cams and strings and tried to fix it on every Mathews bow that was brought into him and Mathews got mad at him for pointing out the flaws. I shoot a Mathews and checked out what he was talking about on my bow and I have no idea what he was seeing and trying to fix. Looked at some friends Mathews and I think he saw a problem that wasnt there.

I do like shooting the 3d from an elevated position so I do go there once in a blue moon to shoot

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:36am - Oct 5,15 
Sonny at Glissons is a total jerk ,whatever bow arrow or rest u have on your bow he will say its junk and your bow is set up wrong, hes almost as bad as terry at archery customs with his cocky remarks and tryn to belittle people that dont know much about archery.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:38am - Oct 27,15 
Archery Custom Shop 7240 Madison Forrest Park.
20yd range, very clean and well lit. Full service pro shop. This is my "Go-To" place. Terry (owner) is very knowledgeable, reliable, and willing to give you his time.

http://www.archerycustomshop.com/

Board index » Game Bag » Sticks & Strings
Jump to: