Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:10am - Aug 23,15 
Hey guys,
Was just curious to see what type of broad heads everyone is shooting. Preference of mechanical over fixed?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:36pm - Aug 23,15 
Hopefully we don't get into a debate which is better, that never ends well!

I shoot Slick Trick mags in 100 grain. My main reason is because everyone talks about cutting diameter, which makes no sense to me because I want cutting surface. My Slick Trick Mags fly like field points and have a cutting surface of 2.2 inches. I've heard of mechanicals not opening so with a fixed blade, I never have to worry about that. My Slick Tricks have killed many bucks in the past few years so I don't see a reason to switch. Last year I shot a nice 8 point at 7 yards and he ran across a cut bean field about 150 yards (which was the longest I've ever had a deer run with these) but he died the second he hit the woodline. My buck the year before that ran all of 20 yards and piled up.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:42pm - Aug 23,15 
Normally I shoot Slick trick mag, but am going to try qad exodus this year too, both in 125. Both fly the same in my set up. I tried a mech last season on a doe, everything went fine but I wasn't soooo impressed that I felt the need to switch.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:45pm - Aug 23,15 
I have also been using the slick tricks the last couple years so it's nice to hear it's been a popular choice so far. A couple guys at work were talking about mechanicals and I'm not to keen on them with the chance of it not opening up.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:13pm - Aug 23,15 
Went back to shooting slick tricks .I had a few problems with Rage and don't need the head ach so back to the fixed blade..

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:03pm - Aug 23,15 
First thing is you hit the animal right (heart or double lung) it dont matter what broadhead you have on there the animal will go down. So the most important thing to do is practice, practice, practice.

I have been using Rage for about 8 years when I can (out west in some states you cant use mechanical for elk). I have shot quite a few broadheads and none in my opinion leave a blood trail like a rage. In my experience you get a better blood trail from a larger cutting diameter vs a smaller diameter with more cutting surface. The wider hole just seems to leak more.

As far as not opening I have never found a broadhead that had not opened that was stuck in a deer or where I had a complete pass through and found the broadhead closed. Alot of times I can see the blood upon impact start to come out.

Now, I do believe there are some who made a bad shot and lost a deer and blame it on the broadhead not opening. I have had a few guys say that and didnt even have the arrow to prove it didnt open. I call BS.

but again you need to use what you are comfortable with.

Over the Limit
WellCraft Fishing Machine

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:46am - Aug 24,15 
I shoot the Rage 3-blade and the Muzzy fixed broadheads. I like the Rages but I got a deal on the Muzzy's a few years back and I stocked up so until they all break or somehow get messed up I shoot both. No complaints about either.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:44am - Aug 24,15 
I tried the rage 3-blade, but wasn't real happy. I hit 2 deer with them and didn't get a pass-through, though they did the job and both deer were recovered. no problems with opening, and they did make a very nice entrance opening. They didn't seem exceptionally sharp to me, and penetration seemed to be restricted.

note that I purposely shoot at the low end of draw weight ~55 lbs as I like to be able to hold full draw for a loooong time until I get the shot I like. that would definitely be a factor on penetration of any big 3-blade head, so it may not be an issue with the head itself so much as just not a good option for my set up.

I went back to Thunderhead 85s. consistent pass throughs on my set up within the range that I limit myself to. I've never felt groupings or accuracy were impacted by planing or anything else on this fixed head set up.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:01am - Aug 24,15 
Ha - I thought the same thing as BigB when I read the post title. The big thing is, find something that works for you and you're confident in. That's really all that matters.

For me, it's the 2-Blade Rage. I couldn't find a fixed blade that flew correctly out of my bow and have had no complaints or problems (knock on wood) with the Rage, so I'm sticking with them. I did try the NAP Killzone but came back to the Rage after plugging a deer with the Killzone right in the lungs but never found any blood or the deer....or the arrow.

Formerly Anchor Management
Montrose Harbor
Channel 7
-----------------------------------------------------------

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:30pm - Aug 24,15 
Whatever you decide on, PRACTICE WITH THEM!!!! Not just your field points.

Many broadheads (fixed or mechanical) fly differently than field points especially if your bow is not "paper tuned". The first time you fling a new brand of broadhead, make sure its not at an animal.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:47pm - Aug 24,15 
Seems like we are a Slick Trick and Rage group. Everyone has their preferences and whatever flies well and kills deer then thats what you should use.

Like Bobba said, you do need to practice with your broad heads. Usually a well tuned bow will shoot broad heads at or close to where field points hit.

As long as your broadhead causes clean ethical kills and your having fun then you are doing it right!

Sure feels like early October today. I'm started to get excited......

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:44am - Aug 25,15 
Rage 2 blade, they have been great for me. I am alot older than you fellas, and I like watching them fall over from the stand. No need to track them. I don't care for the rage 3 blade. Not as effective as the 2 blade.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:29pm - Sep 11,15 
Slick Trick for me. They are a broad head that you will not have to adjust your sights for. That's how I started with them I hated having to resight in when you changed over to a broad head.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 06:44pm - Sep 12,15 
G5 Montecs or Nap Hellrazors for me.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:49am - Sep 13,15 
Fixed blade Muzzy for me. I also agree with "Over the Limit" practice, practice, practice.

Board index » Game Bag » Sticks & Strings
Jump to: