Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:09pm - Nov 4,14 
Hey everyone,

I just bought a compound bow. Do you really need to use the peep sight? I have a single pin that allows you to adjust based on the deer's yardage.

Thanks,

Bloodsweatscales

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:33pm - Nov 4,14 
Not needed if you don't want the peep, but your groups will be tighter if you learn to shoot with it.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:33pm - Nov 4,14 
Lickety-Split wrote:
Not needed if you don't want the peep, but your groups will be tighter if you learn to shoot with it.

Agreed. For comparison, would you rather have a 3X scope or a 9X scope? Peep sights help to make sure you're viewing your sights from the same position each time you shoot. Definitely helps with consistency.

I prefer the kind that comes with the elastic band to keep it straight over the ones that just insert into the string. The latter have always twisted on me and made looking through the peep more difficult.

You definitely don't absolutely need one though.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:16am - Nov 5,14 
I agree with the others as well. Peep not necessary, but will improve your precision. Note... First time I tried a peep, I saw improvement with my target practice. In the field though, I had an occasion where I was not able to take a shot at a monster buck because of the decreased visibility in low light. I simply could not get the pin on him in the right spot soon enough. Because of this I quit using peeps. Continued to have great success without the peep, but when I heard about the IQ Bowsight it seemed like the perfect technology for me. Pretty expensive sight but I decided to give it a try. I instantly saw improvement in my target shooting and feel like it really helped me to achieve consistent shooting form. Split my first arrow after 30 years of shooting! Love it in the field as well. No issues in low light and I feel you get a better sense of how torque on your grip changes your shot than a peep does. I have not found a downside to this sight. Either way, peep or IQ, you will shoot better.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:00pm - Nov 5,14 
The guys are right, just get use to using the same anchoring or hold point on your face. But a peep helps you do just that.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:37am - Nov 7,14 
BRU pretty much nailed it IMO. I also hated hunting with a peep, cost me one hell of a deer many years ago. I then went to a device called an anchorsite. Love it. For target archery you can't beat the peep for accuracy, just hated it in low light conditions. The anchorsite works on the same concept as the IQ sight BRU mentioned above just a little bigger and separate from the sight itself. As BRU stated in his response it shows when you torque the bow which means a lot IMO when you are in a tree stand contorted in god knows what position to take the shot. I wouldn't go back to a peep for hunting situations.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:44am - Nov 8,14 
I used to use a peep and missed to many shots in low light conditions. I ended up getting a No Peep Sight by Timberline Archery. This is the greatest tool ever and for $35 you can't go wrong. It will allow you to shoot directly at a target from a tree stand and not have to compensate for "arrow rise" It will also show if you are canting the bow. It does not effect your sight in lowlight conditions. It takes a little bit to get used to but once you do you will not regret it. Here's a link http://www.fsdiscountarchery.com/browse ... Peep-.html
Google it for reviews.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:56am - Nov 8,14 
There are a few things that I have learned , over the yrs , about archery .
#1 : PRACTICE , PRACTICE , PRACTICE . - The ONLY way that you can get good is achieving the same hold every time . This can only be done when it eventually becomes natural , every time you pull back the string .

#2 : There are items that help with achieving this hold ,,, Peep , kisser button , release

I use a peep and not so long ago went to a single caliper release . The release helped tremendously on improving my accuracy . LOTS of variables with using fingers . With the constant practice , at various distances , you learn to judge distances more accurately . THAT IS HUGE .

B T T . Is a peep needed . NO . But , it made me a more accurate and confident shooter .

I have a routine that I use . " Pick a spot , nose to the string ( this lines up my peep every time ) , SQUEEZE .( don't pull ) It works for me .

Good Luck and Safe Trips ,, Walldady , >>---}->

Board index » Game Bag » Sticks & Strings
Jump to: