Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:55pm - Oct 13,14 
How important is scent control, scent control clothing, and wash? Currently I do not have any scent control clothing but do use the wash and spray for my hunting clothes. Share what you know. Thanks.

Check out this guy. His female takes care of all that for him...lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6pc0_kO ... A&index=10

Alex

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:38pm - Oct 13,14 
I use the laundry detergent, body wash, deodorant and spray but I don't have any of the clothing. Important? I'd say so. Necessary? Definitely not. The biggest thing is to always play the wind correctly. However, in my experience, I've definitely been winded less, spooked less deer and been blown at less by deer since using these products.

While it's not a scent eliminator, I'm also a big believer in ConQuest EverCalm as a cover scent. It was recommended by others on this board and has worked very well for me the past few years.

Formerly Anchor Management
Montrose Harbor
Channel 7
-----------------------------------------------------------

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:05pm - Oct 13,14 
Good Stuff. Still figuring all this stuff out. Seen some deer haven't shot one yet. They were out of range. Working towards my first archery deer this season.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:10pm - Oct 13,14 
I agree with everything frisbee says. Personally, I wash all my clothes in scent free soap, use scent free deodorant and soap, keep all my hunting gear in a large tote and spay down before I enter the woods. I usually hunt weekend trips anywhere from 1 to 5 days and before every trip I wash all my camo gear in scent free soap and let it air dry. When it is dry, I put it in its own plastic tote. I don't want to contaminate my camo with scent from other clothes or being out in my car. Scent free soap and deodorant really help as well plus spraying down when you enter the woods.

I know some guys who are really good hunters that don't practice much scent control and only play the wind. It works for them but personally, I want to be as scent free as I can and leave as little scent as I walk in. Take for instance Saturday evening. I had 6 does walk within 15 yards of my stand and the little wind we had was blowing towards them. Granted, I think the thermals were rising a bit but being as scent free as possible may have helped and I know it didnt hurt.

The main thing is to play the wind. You will have much better luck hunting a decent stand with good wind rather than a good stand with decent wind. If your wind is blowing at a deer, you will rarely have good results.

I have purchased some of the scent lock clothing, mainly because it was 50% off and I like the durability of it. I don't think it works any better than just washing your hunting clothes in scent free soap.

Ive read good things about that ever calm as well. I may have to get a stick and see how it works. Any good stories frisbee?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:04pm - Oct 13,14 
I use any/all scent products available and take meticulous care of my clothes for each hunt bc if it is an advantage I can take, I will take it. I am 100% positive it can help reduce ground scent as well as scent on lower vegetation. BUT with that being said, when you are on a stand it's a totally different story. Your wind comes off where, your head. Your mouth is said to produce most of the odors coming from your body, conveniently located on your head. How can you control that? Stop breathing? So yes, first and foremost you should always play the wind if you want more enjoyable hunts. This goes from your access route right down to your stand, always have wind direction and deer bedding/feeding patterns in mind with regards to where you think the deer will be at that given point. You will never get a deer dead down wind that can't smell you unless they just can't smell. They may choose not to run and blow(all deer are different and will react differently under certain circumstances), but that doesn't mean they can't smell you. In my experience you should take every advantage you have when it comes to playing the wind and scent control, but in the end nothing is full proof

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:00pm - Oct 14,14 
BigB wrote:
Any good stories frisbee?

The experience that made me a believer in EverCalm is here: http://chitownangler.com/1fish/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=67334&sid=44574a3112169f5251c1b5b5715c0db8

I've never been pegged by a deer like that without them stomping, blowing and running off before. Being directly down wind of me, that buck seemed to have pinpointed me up in the tree but he didn't bolt and just kept on his way. Since then I've also bought into the advertising that says it "calms" deer by noticing deer that come in are less timid and never really on high alert. Also, my path walking in does not seem to get me busted like it used to....but I think my rubber boots and other scent control techniques have to take some of the credit in addition to rubbing some EverCalm on my boots the way in and out of the woods.

I never count on the EverCalm to make up for a bad wind situation, poor choice of entry into a stand or skipping on scent control techniques, but it's another "arrow in the quiver" so to say.

Formerly Anchor Management
Montrose Harbor
Channel 7
-----------------------------------------------------------

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:44pm - Oct 14,14 
I also wash all my clothes in scent free detergent and use scent free soap in the shower. I wear Scent-loc clothes and rubber boots.
I use Ever Calm and Nose Jammer and spray everything down with scent killer. Don't forget to spray your pack and bino straps. I try not to disturb too much vegetation with my bare hands while walking to my stand.
When I hunt at my place in Indiana I will stand around the ever burning fire before I walk to my stand. There are plenty of wood fires around so I figure a little wood smoke wont hurt. I usually don't use smoke as a cover while urban hunting.
I play the wind, but wind currents can shift. I really like the EverCalm and Nose Jammer for this reason.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:58pm - Oct 14,14 
I might have to try some ever calm. I keep hearing wind jammer too. This stuff legit?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:27am - Oct 15,14 
Thanks for the info guys. I'll keep at it, and post results when I have some. Sounds like EverCalm is worth a shot.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:54pm - Oct 15,14 
I have had great luck with Nose Jammer. I doubt that it actually jams the deer's nose, but I think it's a good cover/curiosity scent.
Don't spray it on your boots. I did that the first few times and had the deer come right up to my tree and smell the steps.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:30am - Oct 16,14 
I think it's very important to wash clothes and person with the scent free soap. I also wear scent blocker clothes for an extra protection. Ya try your best to hunt a stand that the wind is good but in the real world of deer hunting that cant always happen. The farm that we own is a 3 hour drive so there isn't always a perfect wind and im not sitting in the cabin because the wind is wrong. Plus I do hunt in the bottoms some and the wind will always swirl down by the creek. I have had some pretty big bucks straight down wind that never knew I was there, why because I take every possible precaution not just play the unpredictable wind. The olny scent I use anymore is EverCalm and believe it works !!!! just my2 cents..

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:05pm - Oct 16,14 
Linestretcher, I think you hunt the same property as me, (well except the cabin) three hours away, ridges with some high land and some bottoms with creeks going through them. Bottos are always a bit tough. You really have to play the wind in them but we see a lot of big deer in the bottoms and get a lot on camera.

You convinced me enough and I just bought a stick of it on Amazon. My next trip isn't for another two weeks but it should be here shortly. If I don't shoot a 160" I'm coming after you! :)

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:25am - Oct 18,14 
BigB wrote:
Linestretcher, I think you hunt the same property as me, (well except the cabin) three hours away, ridges with some high land and some bottoms with creeks going through them. Bottos are always a bit tough. You really have to play the wind in them but we see a lot of big deer in the bottoms and get a lot on camera.

You convinced me enough and I just bought a stick of it on Amazon. My next trip isn't for another two weeks but it should be here shortly. If I don't shoot a 160" I'm coming after you! :)

You better call CLIFF'S Taxidermy and tell him you have one coming :). I believe it does what the name say's it calms them. At least a dozen times I have had deer come smell where I rubbed it on a tree and then hang out for a while? I have also had 3 different deer bed down next to it after smelling the tree ? Never had one alert or run off... Good luck !!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:40am - Oct 18,14 
Linestretcher, I went out last night and used it and didn't see a thing. I want a refund! Just kidding.

Sat last night for three hours and didn't see a thing. Nothing on the camera for the last week, very depressing. This is the least amount of deer I've had on camera since hunting this sot 6 years ago. I feel worse for my dad, he's out there 3 to 4 days a week and hasnt seen a thing. I'm hoping the cooler temps and the rut start to bring some in.

Looking forward to using the ever calm in C. Illinois in a couple weeks. I'd like to at least get a doe in the cooler and then really start searching for the big boys.

Board index » Game Bag » Sticks & Strings
Jump to: