Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:10am - Oct 6,14 
Quick question for anyone who hunts there. I got picked for area A which is a smaller area was curious has anyone hunted there? also will deer be anywhere near that area? I got chosen during rut in November. Any tips would be appreciated.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:12pm - Oct 6,14 
I have one buddy that has hunted there. I remember him telling me that he was sitting in his stand watching a guy cut the grass on one if those big industrial mowers for a good part of the day, and people walking and jogging on the trails. He was able to harvest a doe though. Not sure what section he had. As for the section "a" that you drew. I would imagine that there is a good reason that it is so small. From the map it looks like there's some good hardwood trees there. Deere be lovin some acorns . Just my 2 cents. I myself will be hunting at volo bog nov 7-12th. Good luck let me know how it turns out!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:20am - Oct 7,14 
Thanks for response. I hope to get a deer this year just looking at area pretty small area plus houses not too far from area. But i will be hunting during rut so i hope to at least see deer.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:40am - Nov 11,14 
Ok so my weekend of hunting is fast approaching this weekend. Quick question for you guys is rut still going strong? Should I worry about deer not moving much since cold front this weekend? Thanks for input. Do you guys think I should use a drag with scent this weekend or too early/late? Thanks for all the help.......:)

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:45am - Nov 11,14 
The deer will be moving better with the cold front coming than with the warmer weather we had yesterday.

I would venture the rut is still occurring although maybe slightly on the downward trend from its peak. My dad and I will also be at Moraine this weekend. Good Luck

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:21pm - Nov 11,14 
this weekend the deer will be in their breeding stages. they will not be as active as say halloween weekend when they were already chasing. the rut up in lake county peeked about 5 days ago. now theyre in the breeding stage where bucks will be bedded down with does for 6-24 hours at a time. look for secluded, bedding areas. to find the bucks, go where you think the does are. good luck

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:45pm - Nov 11,14 
I'd definetly say most the deer are in the breeding stage this week. Last week and week before was seeing lost of does and bucks moving in my lake county spot, went out all day yesterday and saw one nice buck that was injured and out of range. Hopefully this cold blast coming will get those deer moving either way. Good luck to everyone getting out this weekend!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:22am - Nov 12,14 
Do you guys think I should use estrous scent or no might be too late? :thanks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:36am - Nov 12,14 
Ive had little response to attraction scents in the past at Moraine. Probably because by the time you are out there 8 other guys have already gone and placed scents in the area. I don't know whether or not it would hurt your chances but is less likely to be a magic piece of the puzzle on the heavily pressured state land.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:38am - Nov 12,14 
if your asking if bucks are still looking for hot does and sniffing their pee, the answers yes.

Would I use scent, ever? IMO, no.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:07pm - Nov 12,14 
I was out last weekend (11/8) up in Mchenry county and Lake county and they are definitely not rutting yet

Lots of activity on saturday, but saw big 10 walking with a fork, later that afternoon saw many does still with fawns. Almost exact same observations in Lake County on Sunday. While driving this week ive seen on multiple occassions a large 11 pt. buck also hanging with a fork. All pretty clear indicators rut has not started... With this super cold weather coming through this week and weekend deer activity should pick up and I would imagine larger bucks will start chasing off the immature ones as the does will kick out the fawns.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:41pm - Nov 12,14 
One thing i've learned with deer hunting over the years is that rutting can vary mile to mile. You'll hear someone say they are seeking hard yet 5 miles away there is little rut activity. For instance, last weekend, Two buddies and I sat in opposite sides of the farm we hunt. Two of us so bucks searching, bucks chasing does, all the fun stuff. 500 yards away my buds saw one doe while it was crazy where we were at. It all depends on if you have a hot doe in the area. I personally wouldn't use scents, public land bucks have had everything thrown at them by this time. I would get out and try and spot some deer the first morning out of the stand and then adjust accordingly.

I wouldn't worry too much. Not all does come into heat at the same time. Anytime from Halloween to Thanksgiving you'll have bucks searching for a hot doe.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:54am - Nov 13,14 
I should have worded my previous statement better... Its just like when fish come into spawn, they don't all come in at the same time on the same day, its a couple week long process. Same goes for the rut, while i do believe that there is a portion of deer getting it on, this time of year you can run across deer in any stage of the rut. Plus, having the coldest weather of the year around this weekend should get some movement going on.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:11am - Nov 19,14 
Well I tried was out a few times over my couple of days hunting with exception to yesterday because of the bitter cold.I saw a lot of squirrels but no deer maybe better luck next year.

Board index » Game Bag » Sticks & Strings
Jump to: