Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:42am - Oct 1,14 
My buddy and I hit the woods around 0550 and in our stands around 0600. I saw no movement until 0730 when 6 does and yearlings passed by just out of range. 5 minutes later I heard a "twack" and a doe blowing. I knew my buddy took a shot.

Around 0830 I see my buddy coming towards my stand holding an arrow covered in blood. I climbed down, and we followed an easy blood trail for about 35 yards. He nailed a nice 1 1/2 year old doe.We gutted her, took her home and skinned and quartered her.

I will be going out this afternoon to another one of my urban spots. I have been seeing a lot of nice bucks on the trail cams, so I'm hoping to bag one today.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:17pm - Oct 1,14 
Congrats nice to be out on opening day. Good luck

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:57pm - Oct 1,14 
Got out this evening, and hunted 17:00-19:00. Saw 2 fox and a coyote, but no deer. Still nice to be out there. Be back at it Friday afternoon

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:42am - Oct 2,14 
I went to a different spot in the afternoon. I had a small 8 under me for 10-15 minutes. Several does came in and presented a shot, but I saw a nice sized piebald doe a little farther back. I ranged her at 73 yards. I waited for her to come in closer, but she never did. The other does left, and I didn't see anymore deer that night.

This is the first year in a long time that I didn't get a deer on opening day. I had several shot opportunities, but I chose to wait on the piebald.

I used "Nose Jammer" and "Ever Calm" scents today. I had does all around me, and they never spooked. I have been using both for a couple of years, and they seem to work for me.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:40am - Oct 2,14 
Thanks for report. I don't know how you pass them up!! I popped a small basket 6 pointer early so just stayed in my stand to see if anything else would come by yesterday and had a doe and two fawns just out of range. I was hoping the doe would come in because if I shot it the yearlings would stick around but it just would not come in close. Would have been nice to get a couple.

My buddy is injured and off work so can't hunt so he wants to make sausage. He came and got the deer and I went to work.

Over the Limit
WellCraft Fishing Machine

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:18am - Oct 2,14 
I have several BIG deer on camera this year. I didn't want to burn a tag on a small buck. There are only a couple of my friends hunting anywhere around this property so we can practice a little QDM. Let em go and grow.
As far as passing on the does, I really wanted that piebald. If I shot one of the other does she would have bolted.
I hunt 4-5 days a week. There should be several more opportunities at getting my freezer filled, but I have to admit I was very tempted to let an arrow fly at one of the does. Heck, they were feeding by me for at least 20 minutes or so.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:11am - Oct 2,14 
Nice that you can hunt that much. I usually only hunt my urban spot weekends because if i get one with the warm weather it's gotta be butchered ASAP and I can't be away from work all day.

My buddy is off work though and bored out of his mind. Told me to shoot everything I see aND he will take care of.

Over the Limit
WellCraft Fishing Machine

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:34am - Oct 2,14 
You boys make me jelous can't wait to get some stand time! It's that time of year!!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:02pm - Oct 2,14 
Good Report Mikes!

I was going to try and get out tomorrow night but with meetings and what looks like to be nasty weather I'll probably hold off until Sunday. Weather looks pretty good then. Wont be able to hit my good spot in Central Illinois until next Friday. We have some really big guys on camera there as well. Unfortunately it will be the last weekend I can travel and hunt until November. Anniversary and the Nebraska/Northwestern game will keep my trips from happening but will be able to get some urban hunting done.

I'm really just looking for a doe when hunting around here but my dad is a meat hunter, any deer will do. There are far too many and no hunting is allowed in the area around where we hunt, we actually have the only legal spot. Hopefully we'll have one down this weekend. He's in his 70s now so if he does shoot one, I'll be doing the work. I don't mind at all though!

Keep the reports coming!

Board index » Game Bag » Sticks & Strings
Jump to: