Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:08pm - Sep 27,14 
OK guys. Over the years I have tried many different hot doe scents. and doe estrus. What's the best one. What brings them in on a string?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:24am - Sep 28,14 
Here is what we use. We pick it up fresh at the Farm King where we hunt. With scents, the fresher the better and I know they deliver it every few days and it is always refrigerated. I stay away from the Big Box stores scents. They usually are months old and have lost their freshness.

That being said, I don't think there is a scent out there that will work every time. Scents seem to be effective on 1.5 and 2.5 year old bucks but those older bucks are a bit trickier. To put that scent out, you need to walk and and spread it. A smart mature buck can tell where you have been but the younger bucks seem to be a bit more curious and not know all the danger in the woods.

http://www.hunzikersdeerscent.com/index.html

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:32am - Sep 28,14 
Right on BigB about the fresh scent. I have a guy where I hunt that drops off a bottle for me. The motel owner keeps it in a fridge for me. I damn near had the buck of a lifetime come right in but he was chasing a hot doe and wouldn't pull off her but he stopped several times and walked my way. Trails End has been good for me also. I even saw one of the cows on the land walk up and smell it. Those old bucks do know the difference.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:26pm - Sep 29,14 
I've had really good luck with buck bombs. I spray it on my boots as I approach my stand. I also spray around the base of my tree and maybe a limb at 20. Lastly, I spray some on my head cover and the tree directly above my head. Got a nice P&Y 10 pointer using a combo of hot doe and dominant buck. Just my preference

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:27pm - Sep 30,14 
I've had a little luck with buck bombs with some younger deer. I've had more than a coupe 1.5 and 2.5 years olds either come into that or walk by, get a whiff and turn right around. Never any luck on those big boys. They are just a different breed. I have had a few dumb moments with buck bombs and spray it and forget to hold the can down wind. I will tell you that buck bombs may be great for young bucks but not great on taste buds.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:22pm - Sep 30,14 
BigB wrote:
I've had a little luck with buck bombs with some younger deer. I've had more than a coupe 1.5 and 2.5 years olds either come into that or walk by, get a whiff and turn right around. Never any luck on those big boys. They are just a different breed. I have had a few dumb moments with buck bombs and spray it and forget to hold the can down wind. I will tell you that buck bombs may be great for young bucks but not great on taste buds.

That's a pretty funny story man! But yea I've never just had a giant come running right up to my scent or anything either, so I hear what you're saying. I also like the Gloden Estrus too, but I think the best way to try and lure a big buck in is to challenge him. Dominant buck scent, dominant grunts/snort wheezes, or rattling. I have had better luck getting their attention that way, rather than trying to lure them away from a real hot doe with a fake hot doe. Last year in early November I rattles in a buck with a drop tine and he followed my dominant buck scent right to my tree, all while not presenting a shot and then busting me!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:56am - Oct 1,14 
Only bucks I've had stop to check out a scent are dinkers. I'm going scentless this year cause I hate when I spill it on me, my pack, etc. I still haven't gotten the scent from the great spill of 2012 completely outta my pack. The thing that works best is being in the right spot with the right wind...and sometimes rattling.

Board index » Game Bag » Sticks & Strings
Jump to: