Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:46pm - Sep 3,14 
I've known for some time know that there's an archery range inside Belmont Harbor but, so far, I've been unable to find out any information on it such as rules, fees, times, etc. Does anyone have any information on the range or know where I can find it? Does anyone use the range and would like to go shooting sometime? Sure would be nice to practice without having to drive out of town. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Formerly Anchor Management
Montrose Harbor
Channel 7
-----------------------------------------------------------

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:01pm - Sep 3,14 
The range is the Lincoln Park Archery Club. You pay yearly dues which get you the keys to the gate and the "club house" which is basibally just a target shack.

The membership is very reasonable $40 bucks for a family (includes key charge) you can find the application and the rest of the info here http://www.lincolnparkarcheryclub.org/

Just an FYI the range is mostly used by olympic style target archers. I have not been in a while, and no one said anything negative to me, but I felt a bit out of place as a relative novice with a traditional recurve.

The only real challenge, if you shoot compound, is that the targets there are foam butts. These targets are really made for recurves so if you want to shoot compound, especially over 45 lbs you might want to buy a block and put it out. If you shoot regularly it will probably still a pretty cost (and time) efficient place to shoot.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:29pm - Sep 3,14 
My buddy shoots there and likes it because he doesn't leave downtown as much as I do. You basically get a key and con go whenever you want. He said that most guys are target shooters but there are a few bowhunters that shoot there when he does. Targets aren't aren't that bad, they are just a bit larger and made so that if you miss by two feet, you will still hit the target. Bring a couple orange dots and put them on the targets and you'll be fine. He shoots 70 Lbs and never had any issues on pass throughs. If you want to invest in something like the 18 in 1 by rinehart, that would be a good option to move different distances. Small and compact and by far the best target I've ever owned and i've owned a lot. I was thinking of joining there but I travel around Illinois for work and when I feel like practicing, I bring my bow with me and track down a range when I have an extra hour for lunch. I've been hitting Plainfield lately, great elevated platform and 3D targets (that are a bit old) but worth it to put some arrows through the bow.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:00am - Sep 4,14 
Thanks for the info guys. So, you have to join the archery club to get a key for the gate to the range? One rumor I've heard is that anyone can use the range but they just have to bring their own target - any truth to that?

BigB - are you referring to the Glisson range in Plainfield? Might have to check that one out myself.

Montrose Harbor
Channel 7

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:04am - Sep 4,14 
Never heard of the gate being open for there. I would have to think someone might have just forgot to lock up. With the people running around that area, I wouldn't want to have that place left unlocked.

Yep, Glisson is the place. The 3D targets are a bit beat up but some are still alright. I really like that they have an elevated platform to shoot the 3D targets at. The max you will be able to shoot from the elevated platform at the 3D targets is 35 yards though.

They have another huge elevated platform where you can be 10, 15 and 20 feet off the ground I believe. They have larger block targets every 10 yards there. I would bring some of the two inch orange dots and put them on the targets and you'll be fine. If you want to shoot intervals less then 10 yards I would bring your own target.

If you are shooting from the ground, I recommend strictly archery in Shorewood. They have an indoor range up to 45 yards (might be 40) and a lot of targets. I get all my bow equipment there so I like that place a lot, plus, since its indoor, it is good for the days when the weather isn't too nice. Pretty well up kept and good people there.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:55pm - Sep 4,14 
Awesome. Thanks for the info BigB. Good luck this coming season.

Montrose Harbor
Channel 7

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:02pm - Sep 4,14 
You too, I'll try and post season updates as I go along. Not super happy with my trail cam pictures right now. Thousands of doe pics but only two or three bucks over 130". We do have one with a TON of mass and triple brow tines on each side. The neighbor has a bachelor group of 5 on camera, two in the picture that go over 180". I think first weekend down south should be good for the cameras. Only time will tell!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:39pm - Sep 9,14 
Im a regular user of the range, as I live in the city and this is the closest I have found. (Otherwise I head down to Des Plaines)

No need to join; The range is free for use for all, but ya gotta bring your own target. If you join, then you get the key for access to the small clubhouse with targets. I usually go out there early (6-7AM) Saturdays, and there's nobody out there until about 9AM.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:40am - Sep 10,14 
Good to know Duff! I guess my buddy never told me the key was for the clubhouse and not the range! I may have to keep my 18 in1 Rhinehart with me and try to stop by. Season is so close, need every chance to practice I can get!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:59am - Sep 10,14 
duff8000 wrote:
Im a regular user of the range, as I live in the city and this is the closest I have found. (Otherwise I head down to Des Plaines)

No need to join; The range is free for use for all, but ya gotta bring your own target. If you join, then you get the key for access to the small clubhouse with targets. I usually go out there early (6-7AM) Saturdays, and there's nobody out there until about 9AM.

Much appreciated Duff. Does that mean there's no lock on the gate? Thanks again!

Montrose Harbor
Channel 7

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:30am - Sep 10,14 
There is a key for the gate and a key for the target shack. If the front gate is unlocked than however shot last didnt shut it correctly.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:38pm - Sep 10,14 
This is the one we're talking about right?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Archery+Range/@41.947479,-87.639049,186m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x880fd3bd776c1455:0x8424cd044f45fde2

If so, maybe I've just been lucky that's it never locked, who knows

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:56pm - Sep 10,14 
I havent been in more than a year so maybe I am misremembering. I definitely have 2 keys for it though.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:09pm - Sep 10,14 
This is a public place. Members say its private. Website says semi private. You are on public land you dont need a key for a gate. The gate has never been locked. The only private club they have is the run down shack you need a key for. Dont let anyone tell you differnt. I shot my compound bow here all the time and bring my own target

Board index » Game Bag » Sticks & Strings
Jump to: