Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:21pm - Aug 25,14 
So it seems that I got suckered into this fake two blade rage from China. They look identical. The blades were not sharp at all. Do my question is this. I sharpened the blades to the best of my ability. How do I know if they are sharp "enough". Beyond frustrated. Anyone else try these?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:42pm - Aug 25,14 
I'll throw this out there. Not knowing what you bought is it worth the deer of a lifetime? Maybe just get rid of them eat the loss and buy some real ones.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:25am - Aug 26,14 
I wouldn't recommend rage or any mechanical I personally have had them not open and I know other who have also experience the same the commercials look great but they suck . Stick to fixed 3 blades like G5 montec or thunder heads . At least u will know they are going to penetrate.thats my 2cents

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:39am - Aug 26,14 
Even if it's not a deer of a lifetime, if you don't trust your equipment on any deer in your sights, you probably shouldn't be using it. If you got a couple of them, I'd at least send one through a target that can handle broadheads to see how it functions. That way you'll know if it's something you can count on or not.

I use the 2 blade Rage and although I've heard of others having problems with them, they've always worked great for me. However, out of all of the Rages I've ever purchased, none have come out of the package incredibly sharp and have always needed some sharpening to get to a level I'm comfortable with.

Last year I wanted to try something else and picked up the NAP Killzone. Shot a doe with it at about 18 yards, saw the arrow in the vitals as it ran away....no pass through, no blood....no deer. My assumption is that the killzone never opened at impact. Talk about feeling horrible. So, I'm back to the Rages once again and don't see myself changing. I hope the ones you purchased work out for you, but if you have any doubt at all, I'd replace them.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:34pm - Aug 26,14 
The best tip I ever used is a Swhacker. The exit hole is bigger than a 12 ga. slug and the blood trail looks like someone spilled a 5 gal. bucket of blood

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:20pm - Aug 26,14 
Did you buy them off of ebay? There are a few sellers that sell fake broad heads on there. I buy and sell a lot of things on ebay and you have to be careful about what you buy. Unless the seller has sold over 50 of something like broad heads you don't want to touch them. Rage seems to be the one that is being massed produced in China right now.

Personally, I'd throw them away and start from scratch. I've heard of people trying to save these broad heads and they are made with horrible steel that breaks very easy. The best place to buy your broad heads is from a big box store because you know you are getting the legit thing. I'm not a mechanical guy myself. I had people swear to me that Rage was the absolute best until they didn't open for them. Personally, I' m a slick trick Mag guy. 2.25 inches of cutting surface and I don't have to worry about the blades opening. Fly like field points. No buck has made it more than 75 yards after being drilled so I see no reason for me to switch

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:08pm - Sep 1,14 
I would not trust those broad heads for many reasons, mostly for safety reasons. I was sold on Slick Tricks because it is the broad head that flies like your field points. That means not resighting in. That sold me. I have passed through many deer with them and it's not a monster width. I promise plenty of blood off their exit wound.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:26pm - Sep 13,14 
I have been using rage two blade for about 8 years and never have problems. I kill quite a few deer as I am not a trophy hunter and they always work great.

For those that say they don't open, how do you know? It doesn't take much for them to open. My concern would be them opening prematurely and have opened them and fired at my target and they have similar accuracy.

Over the Limit
WellCraft Fishing Machine

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:27am - Sep 14,14 
We used to have guys that religiously pushed rage to us, so much that I almost switched, Then over two year, one lost a really good buck because he believed that the blades didnt opened. The next year the other guy had a blade open prematurely and hit the deer high in the shoulder. After that the both sweared against them. I saw trail cam pics of one of the deer after the wound and was sick that a broad head could do this because of a malfunction. Fixed blade is the only thing for me now.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:26am - Sep 14,14 
No offense but a lot can happen when you are bowhunting. I kill 5 deer on average a year with the bow and maybe one of those deer I can see exactly where the arrow hit. I have swore up and down I smoked a deer through the heart only to find I hit a little far back after tracking for 2 miles. I can typically tell more from watching the way the deer moves and runs after the shot if the deer is gonna go down but even that isnt 100%. All I know if I have used quite a few broad heads and none leave a hole or blood trail like a rage. To say you lost a deer because you think the broad head didn't open seems to be making excuses. I am by no means saying I am perfect. I have lost deer with bow and even the shotgun. It happens. I have learned it is typically user error.

Over the Limit

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:38pm - Sep 21,14 
Thanks for the input fellas. Here's what I did. I took them apart. Sharpened the blades by hand. I put one of them through a target and it functioned perfect. So they are in the quiver. We will see. I will report back

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:17pm - Sep 21,14 
When I first started Bow Hunting , I used fixed blades . Then mechanicals came into the hunting world . I switched and tried them . I will NOT ,, bash ,, mechanicals , BUT , I am currently back to NAP Fixed Blade Broadheads . You can't fight success .

Good Luck and Safe Trips ,, Walldady >>---}->

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:40pm - Sep 24,14 
Walldady wrote:
When I first started Bow Hunting , I used fixed blades . Then mechanicals came into the hunting world . I switched and tried them . I will NOT ,, bash ,, mechanicals , BUT , I am currently back to NAP Fixed Blade Broadheads . You can't fight success .

Good Luck and Safe Trips ,, Walldady >>---}->

I tried mechanical for a year or so, and I'm back on fixed blade. For the price and performance Muzzy 3-blades are hard to beat. That being said, I also shoot NAP fixed blades and my goodness they are devastating. Blew through a 10 pointer's shoulder last year with one. I can honestly say I would have NEVER recovered that deer if i shot it with a rage. Here's the thing with rage/mechanicals, they work awesome when you have a perfect broadside shot and you stay off the shoulder, but how many times in the real world do you get that perfect shot? They produce gaping wounds and massive blood trails, but other than that, I would not recommend them. For the price I would much rather shoot a Montec or NAP IMHO. Why take the chance on the buck of a lifetime of them not opening or them not penetrating?(I can tell you from experience they do not penetrate heavy bone the way a fixed blade will) Both of which instances could have been avoided by simply shooting fixed blade broadheads

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:52am - Sep 25,14 
Come on now. So if you hit a deer in the shoulder with a rage it is gonna just bounce off? There are videos of people shooting rage through steel barrels and plywood. I butcher my own deer and I have split a shoulder with a rage. I have also almost cut my hand field dressing a deer with a fixed blade that was broke off in the deer.

The reason I am a firm believer in the rage is the 2" wide cutting diameter. I know there are fixed blades with 4 blades that have a total of 2" plus but it is not the same. Shoot a couple plastic jugs with the 4 blade and the rage. The water pours out of the 2 inch hole a lot faster than the star type hole made by the 4 blades.

Over the Limit

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:21am - Sep 25,14 
I've hit deer with rage broadhead and it didn't open that's a 100% fact and it was a very nice buck . It took me 2 days to find the deer . After that incident I threw them straight in the garbage where they belong. I now shoot G5 montec and yes they don't have a 2 inch hole but they are solid and dependable and get the job done u don't need a 2 inch hole to kill a deer if u hit em rite and know how to shoot your bow.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:40am - Sep 25,14 
I heard a couple guys reference slick trick. I'm a novice and through some research decided to go with the slick trick magnum. Anyone else have some good or bad comment on these broadheads?? Do they really fly like the field points?? My goal this week was to get some shooting in with the slick tricks on to test that theory before the season starts.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:11am - Sep 25,14 
Willey wrote:
I've hit deer with rage broadhead and it didn't open that's a 100% fact and it was a very nice buck . It took me 2 days to find the deer . After that incident I threw them straight in the garbage where they belong. I now shoot G5 montec and yes they don't have a 2 inch hole but they are solid and dependable and get the job done u don't need a 2 inch hole to kill a deer if u hit em rite and know how to shoot your bow.

Even if a rage did not open and you double lunged the deer or hit the heart the deer is not going far. Google any broahead and you have peole complaiNing they lost a deer because of the arrow, the broadhead whatever. Noone wants to admit it was user error/a bad shot.

My dad and i did an experiment last year and shot a rage practice tip at a deer he just took before we field dressed. We shot a rage practice point at a deers vitals at 20 yards. It busted through the ribs on one side deflect on the other and stuck in tree we had deer leaning against. That deer would not have gone far.

I like rage because in the event you get a bad shot that 2 inch hole seems to leak more than the smaller ones.

Over the Limit

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:21pm - Sep 25,14 
AKA-Fishcatcher wrote:
I heard a couple guys reference slick trick. I'm a novice and through some research decided to go with the slick trick magnum. Anyone else have some good or bad comment on these broadheads?? Do they really fly like the field points?? My goal this week was to get some shooting in with the slick tricks on to test that theory before the season starts.

They are the only broadhead I use and Couldn't be happier. If your bow is tuned, they will fly just like field points. They come razor sharp out of the package as well. The thing I like about them is that they are less expensive than some of the mechanicals because they don't have to do a ton of marketing to get customers. All of their business comes from word of mouth, you don't have a ton of celebrity sponsors pushing them to get business.

Slick trick mags have 4 blades so they have 2.25 inches of cutting surface, equal or better than most mechanical broad heads except you don't have to worry about them opening. People always talk about diameter of a broadhead when cutting surface is the most important thing. The Slick Tricks are worry free broad heads and razor sharp. The Muzzy MX4 are also very good as well.

I actually was out putting some Slick Trick Mags through my bow today. Hitting perfect out to 40 yards.....now I just need the season to start!

To The OP.....I honestly would throw those things away. You may have them sharp but the steel that they are made of is very cheap. It doesn't matter how sharp it is if it breaks off when it hits a rib on entry.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:35pm - Sep 25,14 
Over The Limit wrote:
Come on now. So if you hit a deer in the shoulder with a rage it is gonna just bounce off? There are videos of people shooting rage through steel barrels and plywood. I butcher my own deer and I have split a shoulder with a rage. I have also almost cut my hand field dressing a deer with a fixed blade that was broke off in the deer.

The reason I am a firm believer in the rage is the 2" wide cutting diameter. I know there are fixed blades with 4 blades that have a total of 2" plus but it is not the same. Shoot a couple plastic jugs with the 4 blade and the rage. The water pours out of the 2 inch hole a lot faster than the star type hole made by the 4 blades.

That's awesome about splitting the shoulder with a rage! I tried them a few years back and loved the fact that they were very lethal anywhere not in the shoulder, but had a bad experience with them not penetrating bone. I saw they redesigned the tip for better penetration and perhaps fixed this problem. Regardless of broadhead preference, here's wishing everyone a safe and happy hunting season this year! Almost time to go get 'em boys!

Board index » Game Bag » Sticks & Strings
Jump to: