Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:59am - Jan 9,14 
I just bought a new bow and was outfitted with carbon arrows based on the recommendation from the archery shop. The group I was hunting with said those are dangerous and if they splinter into the meat can kill you. I can' t believe that. Anyone have info on this?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:11am - Jan 9,14 
Never heard of such a thing.......never had that issue.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:26am - Jan 9,14 
I am also newer to archery and completed a lot of research on arrows while getting setup. A good quality carbon arrow seems like the way to go, most hunters I've spoken with prefer them. I personally am shooting Easton Axis carbon arrows. Old school guys like the aluminum for their weight, but they bend whereas a carbon arrow will be straight or break.

As for carbon arrows killing you, sounds a bit exaggerated. However, it is good practice to inspect your arrows, if a carbon arrow is cracked or splintering it could break and it is advised to retire that arrow. If cracked or splintering could break/shatter when you release and risk putting carbon slivers most likely in your arm/hand. I'm sure that is not fun. Never personally experienced this but most guys I talked to recommend to not shoot a compromised arrow and you should be just fine.

Tips on not damaging your arrows. I learned this the hard way by ruining a handful of arrows. If your bow and arrow setup are tuned, no longer do you need to shoot at the same bullseye. Shooting tight groups of 2, 3, or 4 arrows will ruin your shaft, knocks, and fletching when the arrows hit eachother. Shoot at different bullseyes on your target/block while practicing, it will save you money on arrows.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:58am - Jan 9,14 
fathead arrows splitting is old school when carbon arrows were first made about a 100 yrs ago. I'm not saying it can't happen but its rare. I've seen 1 shot into a brick wall (Accidently) at 20 yrds and it was still perfect. They are light years ahead of anything else out there.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:13am - Jan 9,14 
Guys, I've been shooting carbon arrows for at least 15 yrs (probably longer). I also hit a brick wall at 20 yrds. and the arrow was fine. The only time I toasted one is just like AKA said- I hit it with another arrow. Use a target with multiple bullseyes. If you think an arrow may be damaged, just tap it on your hand; you will hear a rattle. I startad a habit of checking every arrow every time I pull them out of the target
Glen

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:15pm - Jan 9,14 
Thats the first I've ever heard of that. I only shoot Carbon and have never had an arrow break on my either. Like everyone else, the only I have ruined one is when I "Robin Hood" it. It was neat to do when I first started shooting years ago but now I just get mad.

If carbon arrows did something like that, you would sure hear about it. Plus, Carbon arrows wouldn't be the most popular arrow out there now if there were issues with that. I wouldn't worry at all. If you ever shatter a carbon arrow on a deer, please let us know. I do a lot of hunting, reading about hunting and on forums and never heard of such a thing. Good Luck with the new bow!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:03pm - Jan 9,14 
Sorry to be the "know-it-all". But this got me thinking about it. I got family that bow hunt down here and they were telling me that they would give me some meat next time they go out. So... I did a little research because I couldn't believe that it would be poisonous to the meat. But just in case wanted to check it out and maybe warn them. Turns out that it's not so much a poison thing as a shard in your body thing.
This is one thing I found
TAKEN FROM EASTON BOW HUNTING GUIDE.UNLIKE AL.ARROWS WHEN A CARBON ARROW BREAKS IT TENDS TO SHATTER CAUSING MANY SHARP SPLINTER-LIKE FRAGMENTS.CAREFULLY REMOVE THE FLESH IN THE AREA OF THE WOUNDS.CAREFULLY DISPOSE OF ANY MEAT THAT MIGHT CONTAIN CARBON SPLINTERS.DO NOT LEAVE FOR SCAVENGERS TO EAT.

That makes the most sense to me. I could imagine the terrible time you'd have trying to pass (if it made it that far) a sliver of carbon. Can you say OUCH!!!! :winker

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:52pm - Jan 9,14 
I think there are cases if you shoot a deer, it rolls over on the arrow and shatters it in someway. That should only happen on RARE occasions and if it does, if you feel safe you can discard that quarter. I think that tends to happen when people use extremely light arrows that are intended for target shooting. If you shoot a good quality arrow, you should never have to worry about it. I doubt a good bow shop would sell you any arrows that are too light or cheap for hunting though. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it at all. I know most guys on here use Carbon and have shot lots of deer and none of us worry about it or have seen an arrow splinter in a deer.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:54pm - Jan 9,14 
:ohya :respect

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:05pm - Jan 9,14 
I also have never heard of such a thing.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:11am - Jan 10,14 
All great comments and advice, thank you. I will stick with them. Good luck out there!

Board index » Game Bag » Sticks & Strings
Jump to: