Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:40pm - Jan 9,14 
First time for me not even getting a shot at a deer with my bow. I hunted in Jo Davis, Stephenson, Lake, and Shelbyville counties both public and provate and couldn't get one to walk within range. I am not a rack hunter so to speak and when I see brown I try to get it down, but this year just didn't work out. I did get a shot second season shotgun in Shelbyville county on an 8 pointer, but pulled my shot. The worst part was he was in bow range for some people, 35yrds away and I pulled high.Well maybe next year. Hope everyone else had a better year.

Michael

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:40am - Jan 10,14 
Sorry to hear about the bad year but if you hunt enough, your eventually going to have one. I didn't have the best year either. Locally I was able to connect on a 100" 8 point with my bow but at my win hunting spot in C. Illinois where I spend the most time in the stand. Over the course of the season (12 or so days) I had countless small bucks come within range, anywhere from spikes to 115" bucks) but I was holding out for one of the 130" or above bucks we have on camera. I had two really nice ones (140ish and 150ish) within 35 yards but one wouldn't give me a good shot and one had a downed tree between us. Was trying to get a doe all season too but up until gun season every doe I saw had a buck chasing her or had fawns with her. I was holding out for a dry doe or one without fawns. That never came until gun season but couldn't get a good shot. I did miss a nice 8 point opening day of gun season. Not sure how I missed him but it happened. I shot and he just stood there for another 5 seconds than slowly trotted off. Went and checked for blood and hair just in case and nothing. I have a bad feeling my scope was knocked off a bit the day before.

Oh well, still had a lot of fun and already planning scouting trip to hang some stands this spring. It never ends!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:04am - Jan 10,14 
There is still 9 days left.
I started with a doe on opening day of archery in Il. On my first bow hunt in Indiana I took a nice doe also.
I was able to harvest a 130ish 11 point during the gun season in Will county, and I the arrowed a very big (140 dressed) doe in Cook county in mid December (she is/was leading the big doe contest at On Target Archery in Steger).
I am kicking myself for passing on several deer in the low 150's this season. I had a few true monsters in my area and shot over the back of a buck that would have scored in the 170's.
Over all I had a great season. I saw a ton of deer and passed on quite a few bucks. I will be hitting the woods a few more times this year with the hope of seeing a nice buck that still has his antlers.
Stay safe and warm out there if you decide to go out. I will be in a tree stand this weekend, but I will switch to a ground blind when the temps get in the lower 20's.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:53am - Jan 20,14 
Well now that the season is officially over I can say my season was good and bad. I did manage a couple deer but I could not get the big one I was looking for. I missed on a really nice 8 pointer and I hit a big 10 pointer that I found chasing a doe later in the day so I guess the good thing is I did not wound him where he died a day or two later. I can say I had opportunities but I just couldn't take advantage of them. Gun season was slow but that sounds like the story everywhere. I did get a small 8 pointer and my brother got a doe while his 8 year old daughter was in the stand with him. So with that I can't say it was a bad season but it could have been better.

Board index » Game Bag » Sticks & Strings
Jump to: