Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:35pm - Nov 11,13 
I hit the woods pretty hard last week in Fulton County and I can safely say that we are in the chasing phase of the rut. I hunt some pretty hilly farm country with lowlands with crops as well as crops above the ridges. Corn is still up at the farm and across the street so there are plenty of places for the deer to hide. The bucks though really seem to be cruising. I passed on numerous 4,5, 6 and 7 pointers. It seemed that every time I would rattle I would call in a small buck. Good to see it worked, just not not on the right bucks. Unfortunately,when I make it back down south next week, rattling won't be very effective since most bucks will be concentrating on the ladies and not looking to fight.

We had a couple days with a good amount of wind, but personally, windy days are some of my favorite. The key is to find an area where the wind isn't as strong as the other areas. Leeward side of a ridge, creek bed, etc. Find where the wind is down a bit and you'll be in a good shape.

Rut funnels really seem to be great right now. If you can concentrate on a funnel connecting two pieces of timber, hit it up.

We had a lot of smaller bucks chasing as well. My buddy arrowed a 6 pointer chasing a doe Thursday morning. Not a huge one but a respectable buck. The big mature still seemed to be grouped up in two's and three's with no fawns which leads me to believe that we still have some rut ahead of us.

I'll tell you the key to this week was hunting the downwind side of doe bedding areas. I hunted the downwind side of a doe bedding ares (One side with a North wind one night and another side with a south wind on another night). Each time I hunted the downwind side of a doe bedding area, I saw at least one buck over 140". The problem is I wasn't set up close enough to where they were cruising. Twice I had two huge bucks at less than 40 yards but had brush in the way so I couldn't take a safe shot.

Unfortunately I didn't score a deer this trip. Passed on numerous small bucks ad every doe I saw had a buck in tow so I didn't want to shoot her in case she was hot. Hopefully I'll fill a tag this weekend.

Make sure you play the wind the best you can. Its better to hunt a decent stand with a perfect wind than to hunt a great stand with a decent wind. The bucks are moving so they can show up anywhere. If you can keep the wind in your favor you will have a much better chance of seeing deer. Good luck to all going out. I'll be taking a half day on Friday and heading down south for a Friday evening hunt and a all day saturday hunt. After that, bring on gun season. Its not as challenging as shooting them with a bow, but gun season is one of my favorite weekends of the year!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:12pm - Nov 11,13 
Thank you for the info. I'm a bowhunting novice so it's nice to learn from the experienced.

Salt

Navy-Never Again Volunteer Yourself

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:57pm - Nov 11,13 
No problem salt! I'm in no way an expert hunter but I do have some experience behind me. If I could give a key to hunting over the next couple weeks it would be to find the thick, nasty stuff where the does bed and hunt at the downwind edge of it. That and if you can find a funnel that connects timber. It maybe a short fence row, a creek or even just a patch of cedars. If you hunt those two you should spot some deer. There is supposed to be a south wind Friday and Saturday. I already have my stand picked out if that is the case. It takes me an extra 15 minutes to get to this particular stand so I'm going to have to skip out of work by 10:30A to get to where I hunt by 1:30. Lets hope for light traffic and rutting bucks!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:54pm - Nov 11,13 
I'm tagged out. Not because of skill but just because I'm on a great piece of property. Just skinned out the 5 point I got yesterday. At this stage in my hunting I'm still taking smaller bucks as I just need the experience.

Navy-Never Again Volunteer Yourself

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:49am - Nov 12,13 
I HAD ABOUT THE SAME REPORT FROM DOWN IN SCHUYLER COUNTY. lOTS OF SMALLER 1 1/2 -2 1/2 YEAR OLD 6-8 PTS EACH DAY AND DID SEE 2 NICE SHOOTERS BUT COULDNT GET THEM INSIDE 80 YRDS.BOTH THE BIG ONES WERE WITH A DOE AND WOULD NOT LEAVE HER FOR ANYTHING. I ALSO WILL BE HEADING BACK DOWN FRIDAY AFTER WORK. GOOD LUCK THIS WEEK !!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:19am - Nov 12,13 
Thanks for the report. Starting tomorrow I'll be in the woods every day for the next 5 weeks. Like to hear from moe hunters how they are doing. It's always good to hear how other hunters are doing Good luck shoot straight and be safe. OG. :D :D :D

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:03am - Nov 12,13 
Heading out now

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:40am - Nov 12,13 
I've also been seeing a lot of chasing. Actually had 2 mature does come running to a bleat call. Didn't offer an ethical shot, so no go. Still the bulk of my area activity last hour of daylight. Fill those freezers boys !

Bigdub

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:42am - Nov 12,13 
Redsfirst wrote:
Heading out now

Good luck Reds. Let us know how you do.!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:57pm - Nov 12,13 
Good Luck to those guys heading out tonight! It looks like a perfect night to be out. Hopefully I can get out Friday afternoon down south. A promotion came up in my company and they want to schedule an interview on Friday. :( Any other day would have been better! Oh well, miss one hunt to hopefully afford many others!

Also, got word that they cut one of the two remaining corn fields where I hunt. One more big one and we'll be set. Keeping my fingers crossed for some dry weather over the next few days. The farmer on my land probably won't cut the beans for another few weeks and we only have about 25 acres of corn standing and from what I'm seeing, they haven't been laying in it during the day. Always good to hear when they are cutting corn!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:13am - Nov 13,13 
Yesterday was a pretty slow morning for me. Things heated up in the early afternoon. Saw a total of seven deer. 2 bucks, one was missing an antler. The other was a forky. The one antlered 5 pt. was walking with his nose to the ground.(He must've been looking for his other antler! LOL) The bucks are starting to move more. I wound up taking my second doe of the season, a 2 1/2 yr. old. 8)~

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:55pm - Nov 13,13 
My morning hunts are traditionally slower than afternoon hunts. I think its because we don't have any good spots that lead from food to bedding. Once or twice year when we have a North wind we'll get lucky and have a good morning but its not too often. We really concentrate more on afternoon hunts now.

Congrats on the doe, a deer is a deer. I'm hoping to get one this weekend but the weather is starting to look warm and rainy, not good to see.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:06pm - Nov 13,13 
Did not see anything till too late to shoot. Was a lot colder hunting while on blood thinners. I'll be back out Thurs.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:53pm - Nov 13,13 
Reds, I feel your pain with the cold. I have a pretty low body fat and 6'7" so heat just drains out of me. I wear a lot of layers and Muck Arctic Pro boots that are supposed to be warm down to 20 below but even in 30 degrees my feet still get cold. I use the toe warms which does help a good amount.

Hopefully Friday will be the night for everyone, with the front moving in Saturday (Hopefully afternoon or evening) it will get them all moving!

Board index » Game Bag » Sticks & Strings
Jump to: