Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 01:25pm - Nov 9,13 
This is by far my toughest season in a very long time. I have seen a total of six deer. Shot one doe. Ihave only seen 1 buck and he was a tiny six. I passed.so I pose afew questions and hopefully we can get some different points of view.

1. Where the heck is the rut?

2. Is this year windier than the rest?

3. Do deer move in wind greater than 15 mph?

4. Most of the crops are finally comming out of the fieldsdid this effect our deernumbers seen?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:18am - Nov 10,13 
I hunt lassale and schuyler county and the rut is in full swing in both. In the last week I have seen tons of young bucks and a few big guys out running the doe's. The wind was 10-25 with gusts over 30 down south and the bucks were out moving all day.. When the corn is all out yes your numbers should go up some. good luck!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:53pm - Nov 10,13 
The bucks were running all over this weekend in Will County, heads down and chasing! Saw two monsters and one very nice one tonight after the Bear game. Back out tomorrow!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:04pm - Nov 10,13 
I was down south a few days ago and I was suprised how many fields were not picked. My field was picked and has been planted with winter wheat but for this late in the season I thought all of the fields would have been picked.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:35am - Nov 11,13 
I had a similar weekend down in Jasper County, Indiana. Very windy and not much deer movement. Of course, I was out hunting a standing bean field while my hunting buddies had more action in the woods. I only saw small bucks cruising and all but one doe was in a group and/or with fawns. Thought it was pretty strange that nothing was following that one lone doe. Deer only moved for me the first 30 min and last 30 min of light both Sat and Sun. The rest of the day it seemed they found a spot out of the wind and stayed there.

To me, it appeared as though someone hit the pause button on the rut. After the previous 2 weekends I thought it would be on this past weekend but, for me at least, that was not the case. Indiana's firearms season opens Saturday and should make for an interesting weekend after this week's weather.

In our area there's 1 field left standing with corn...and it's massive. Hopefully that gets picked soon. No doubt in my mind that I'd be there if I was a deer. No question that standing corn will decrease numbers seen.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:40am - Nov 11,13 
Im not a Deer hunter, but I have a preserve across the street from my house and been seeing a lot of bucks for the first time in my life. This week I've awakened three large bucks by heading into the woods around 11am after work. By awaken I mean they were all lying down.

Just wondering if that's typical Buck behavior to be sleeping in the afternoons?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:22am - Nov 11,13 
I think I've seen 20 deer this week in my backyard and a buck ran into my truck while my wife was going 50mph.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:53am - Nov 11,13 
It was game on this weekend. Rut is finally here (Will Co.)! Had a stud of a 10 @25 yds saturday afternoon but wouldn't present a shot. Botched an opportunity on a nice 9pt Sunday morning (my own damn fault). Saw chasing both days. Saw a 180+ dogging a doe in the local forest preserve Sunday afternoon. Get out there boy's it's on!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:16pm - Nov 11,13 
Personally, I'd be hunting inside the woods right now. I hunted the last four days and had a lot more action in the woods than field edges. We had a couple real nice bucks spotted in the fields but they were just cutting through them rather than cruising the edges. I'm going to post a report on how the week was for me. Take a look and I'll let you know what worked for me.

Board index » Game Bag » Sticks & Strings
Jump to: