Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:24am - Nov 4,13 
Things are really starting to pick up this past weekend down where I hunt (Jasper County, Indiana). Last weekend we had small bucks following does. This weekend we had bigger bucks out cruising looking for does. Lots of scrapes and rubs showing up as well. Saturday AM and PM I saw small bucks out cruising. Yesterday morning I had 2 small bucks come by right at shooting light and one of them worked a scrape. Also saw a shooter 10 with a group of does on a neighbor's property as well as a possible shooter 8 out cruising. All action died down 2 hours after shooting light.

Last night I sat in my favorite stand for an East wind. Historically, this set of woods has been great for seeing a big buck during archery season and is the same woods I shot my 10 pointer in last year. Well, this year was no different but, sadly, the great buck in there needs another year or 2. Had the best deer I've ever got a shot at but chose not to shoot come 15 yards from my stand on 3 different occasions after grunting him in. He was chasing off a small 4 pointer, working pretty much every hanging branch with his antlers and making/updating scrapes. Clearly he was the boss of those woods. When I first saw him out in the corner of the field, my response was "Hmmmmm" (instead of "Yep, shooter"). Then when he came by the first time and I was able to get an even better look at him my gut was still not saying shoot. However, this is a deer I'll be thinking about for a while. Tried to take a video of him with my phone but I messed it up. Would have been a great video too as he was again only 15 yards away. He's an 8 pointer thats only as wide as his ears but decently tall with decent mass. His neck was completely swollen and rutted up which made identifying him as a young deer easier since the rest of the body did not look like it matched the neck. I had dreams about him when I went to sleep last night and will probably see that deer in my head for a while. I don't regret not taking the shot but I wonder what my trigger finger will do if I see him through my scope come muzzleloader season....

Moral of the story: if you have a bow, get out and hunt! Action is really picking up and appears ready to peak soon. The does are still traveling in groups and with their fawns but once they push them away and start traveling on their own the woods are going to get real crazy. Bucks are starting to move during day light, marking their territory and cruising with their noses to the ground. The firearms opener in Indiana is 11/16 but I think the rut will really get going before then. If I could take days off, I would this week. Can't wait to get back in the stand Saturday. Good luck to all.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:51pm - Nov 4,13 
Glad to hear it. I will be in Stark county for a 5 day weekend. I've been trying to get my son his 1st archery deer, and I would love to get one of the monsters I have been seeing all year.
The bucks are starting to chase around here as well. I have had consistent luck calling in deer all week. Yesterday afternoon I grunted in a target buck I have been watching for months. I spotted him across the river and gave 2 grunts and a can call. He turned right around, waded across the river and right into a shooting lane. I let an arrow fly , and it went right over his back. He ran a few yards and stopped. I grunted again, and he came back in but never presented a shot. Oh well. I'll get him next time.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:23pm - Nov 4,13 
I was out Friday and Saturday and could see it starting up. Friday afternoon right after I get in I see a doe running about 25 yards away. She wasn't spooked, just doing a jog/sneak through the trees. I decide to let her go since I figured she probably has a deer behind her. Sure enough, 30 seconds later a 4 point comes grunting through. Gave me a nice 25 yard shot which I would have taken if he was 3 years older! He ran through, stopped and looked down towards a bean field for a bit. I knew some thing had to be down there. 30 minutes later I spot a giant 10 point with a doe but no luck on getting him within range. Saturday I didn't see a deer, other than a small 8 I kicked up walking in. It stinks because a 1/3 of a mile away the neighbor had bucks chasing a hot doe everywhere!

I'll be heading back down to Central Illinois tomorrow for a 5 day hunt, looking for a doe and a wall hanger!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:20pm - Nov 4,13 
Do you think the deer will respond to grunt tubes on public land? Still new to hunting and will be out friday I hope to find a good spot and see what happens. Do you guys do any blind calling? Just wondering if I should try grunt every so often or just stay quiet I also have a doe call from primos:) :thanks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:17pm - Nov 4,13 
I no longer use calls on the public land that I hunt on. It used to work great before all of the hunting pressure got to them. Now they almost always run away from grunting/rattling. I definitely would not blind call. If you want to see the result, you need to see the deer first. If they come to your call after seeing them, then I would be more likely to blind call. I have not tried the doe call.

Profile WWW  

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 05:31pm - Nov 4,13 
I have only had success blind calling/rattling once....I had just barely touched the antlers together and here comes a monster 12 pointer we called "Chandelier" crashing up over a hill and stops 30 yards from me. I'm standing there with the rattling antlers in my hand and my bow hanging on the tree crapping myself. He eventually caught wind of me and busted out of there and we never saw him again. So, for me, it worked once out of who knows how many tries. However, after that encounter I now rattle and try to prepare for another crashing buck by having my bow/gun ready. Bind grunting has never worked for me - ever. I'll still bind rattle when it's been a slow sit but I only grunt at bucks I see.

On the other hand, you never know unless you try.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:09pm - Nov 4,13 
I blind grunt here and there but only when it is super slow and I have some sort of obstacle (open field, drop off) so they can't get down wind easily. I will grunt at deer I see if they are walking away as a last ditch effort. I'll never grunt at a deer that is coming my way, no need to put him on edge. I did kill a nice 8 point last year that was making a scrape and knew he was about to get downwind of me as soon as he left the scrape. I let a couple soft grunts out and he came in on a string. Put an arrow in him 3 feet from the base of my tree and I was only 10 feet in the air. Talk about a rush!

I do blind rattle though and have some luck with it. Nothing enormous but I don't do it a lot. I plan on hitting the horns together this weekend though and see what I can bring in. I only use real horns too, none of those rattle bags or fake horns. The more realistic the better.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:13pm - Nov 4,13 
I was out this evening and for the 2nd evening in a row a small buck was chasing a doe. It's starting to pick up for sure. I thought/hoped I would see a few more bucks but oh well.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:34pm - Nov 5,13 
we are heading down to our farm in schuyler county in about an hour for a 5 day hunt.THe trail cam pics are way down this year hope I see a shooter? Hunted lassale last weekend and not much other than 2 doe..Good luck everyone !!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:31am - Nov 6,13 
I was able to get away to our hunting property in Grant County, WI last weekend. First day seen 18 deer. Missed a doe at 8am on the first morning at 10 yards. Shot over her back. Got a eye full of young bucks chasing does, but didn't see any big boys until Sunday afternoon when a good eight point chased a doe at full speed right under my stand and never stopped. On Sunday afternoon I seen 9 deer and shot a doe with 10 minutes to go of shooting hours and the end of the weekend hunt. There was no track job on her she only went 5 yards and I watched her go down from the climber stand. It was all smiles on the way back home with the antlerless tag filled and fresh venison for the freezer. Processed the deer on Monday morning by myself and have been enjoying venison steaks all week. Good luck and good hunting to all.

Harley

Board index » Game Bag » Sticks & Strings
Jump to: