Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:43pm - Oct 13,13 
Had a guy come in early for me and left shift at 0530. Lucky at the firehouse i didnt catch anyruns and was able to take my sent free shower. Made ot to the deer stand at 0630. I bumped a deer just as I got there. I wasn't expecting to see much. @ 0710 two does came in and I took a shot at one. Whack! I was thing it was a perfectshot. Could see blood right away. Waited 30 min. Got down and followed a blood trail. It was vy tough to see as there is a lot of exposed dirt floor in my woods. About an hour and a half later as I was tracking through standing bean I found her but it was not on my property. I could see that the farmers were getting ready to start the beans. I drug the deer. the edge as not to interfere with combining but left it on their property. I then hussled to my truck and drove over to wherethe guys were fueling up the combine. I intriloduced myself. The farmer knew my entire family but had never met me. After shooting the shinola for 40 min he said go ahead you did the right thingby asking. He ten cut the headlands right to where the deer was and instructed me to follow him and I could get it. Its awesome knowing that there are still good people out there. I also got his number for future kills that run out there. All he wants is a text.

On another note I ate the heart of this deer. Used in in stir fry. It is now my new favorite portion of a deer. Tastes better than fillet

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:03pm - Oct 13,13 
I remember hearing the organs have most of the toxins and heavy metals.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:06pm - Oct 13,13 
Oh and congrats :D

Last edited by Tatertot on 12:11pm - Oct 14,13, edited 1 time in total.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:51am - Oct 14,13 
Congrats on the deer.
Had me some pan fired heart from the nephews Youth Shotgun deer this weekend. One of my favorite cuts of venison.

Tatertot wrote:
I remember hearing the organs have most of the toxins and heavy metals.

Hey Tater...I've never seen an Illinois White Tailed Deer consumption advisory.
In fact I've searched for any type of advisory for White Tail in any state and came up empty. There are CWD warnings for brain and spine but nothing on the heart. Didn't check for the liver. That's my least favorite cut.

Tom

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:11pm - Oct 14,13 
I didn't mean any type of advisory.

http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/wh ... mal-organs

http://voices.yahoo.com/organ-meats-kno ... 30554.html

I've had tongue before and I thought it was good. Granted an old school Mexican mom cooked it for me, she could cook feet and you would think it was good.

Heart seems on the top of the list of healthy organs with it being almost all muscle and low in fat. I'd try it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:21pm - Oct 14,13 
I love me some beef tongue!
Never thought it a useable cut from the deer I process. Did a quick search and sure enough there are many people that eat the tongue.
I think I'll have to give venison tongue a try.
I'm first gen Polish born in the states so I've had my share of pig's feet through the years.

Tom

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:26pm - Oct 14,13 
Congrats on the doe! I had some luck last night as well. Nothing like getting the first one down for the year! Between my dad and I we have 2 down in our first three sits Last year he had 20 something sits before I shot a doe and she ran a couple hundred yards and he had at let her sit overnight. What made it worse was that I was hunting in Central Illinois and couldn't help. This year, his deer fell about 60 feet from the truck and pulled up next to it. No tracking job. My deer was shot, ran 30 yards by his stand and fell over. Its always nice when you heart shoot them! Used the Glens deer handle and pulled him 50 yards to the truck. Got it home, skinned out and almost quartered when the sun went down. Not too bad!

Again, Congrats on the doe!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:59pm - Oct 14,13 
Congrats on the doe! After trying deer heart for the first time 2 years ago, I have yet to leave it in the gut pile for the coyotes ever again. It's by far my favorite part of the deer. Clean it up and cut it into fajita-like strips then give it a quick flash in a pan. Best enjoyed right out of the pan and definitely goes best as an appetizer as compared to a main dish.

BigB - looks like your back on track after a rough start last year. Nice work. I've only been out for one day so far this year. Saw a bunch of does & fawns but no bucks or shots. Still lots of crops up but they're on their way down.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:13pm - Jan 9,14 
congrats

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:55pm - Oct 13,14 
yep, heart and liver w/fried onions, yum!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:56pm - Oct 13,14 
Congrats on the deer. The partner and I have three down so far. Freezers are filled. Almost time for horns and rut vacation. Gonna have to try that heart out for myself. Grandaddy always said it was the best!

Board index » Game Bag » Sticks & Strings
Jump to: