Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:36pm - Oct 8,13 
I will be heading to Bass Lake area for 5 days to do a little bow hunting.
This will be the first time my 12 yo son will be hunting with me. I have set up a couple of double ladder stands and 2 ground blinds for us to hunt from.
I'm realy looking foward to my boy getting his first archery deer.
Wish us luck.
Mike & Mike

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:47pm - Oct 8,13 
Good Luck my Man, more luck to the son!!!! Im heading out Friday for 4 days down in southern IL. Let us know when you get back....be safe!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:47pm - Oct 8,13 
Thanks. Good luck to you also.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:59am - Oct 16,13 
I started hunting last Wed. afternoon. Around 5:15 4 does came in. The oldest doe was acting nervous and knew something was wrong. In the past I have had numerous hunts ruined by these old nanny does, so I knew I had to take her out if I wanted this to be a productive spot.
The does were feeding around my stand for ten minutes and the old doe was getting more nervous by the second, but she wouldn't offer me a shot. She finally turned broadside and I pulled the trigger on my crossbow. A perfect shot! She ran around 20 yards a piled up.

The next few days I took my son Michael with me. None of the many deer that we saw offered a shot opportunity. On Sun afternoon we were hunting a double ladder stand when a 120 inch 10 point came in. I ranged an opening at 28 yards, and when the buck stepped into the opening I let out a mouth bleat. The buck froze and Michael let a bolt fly...... right under his belly. Michael was shaking and extremely excited. He swore he hit him, but we later found the bolt with no blood on it and no blood on the ground.

Even though he missed the buck it was all worth it. My boy got buck fever for the first time, and I was there to witness it. He's a deer hunter forever now.

We saw a few more deer on the rest of the trip. Michael passed on several yearlings and a couple of small bucks. He hasn't stopped asking when I am going to take him hunting agian.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:40pm - Oct 16,13 
Pretty cool. I wish they would let kids hunt with a crossbow in IL. I'd probably be able to get mine out much sooner than when he's able to pull back a legal bow.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:44pm - Oct 16,13 
I've been working with him on his compound, but he still can only pull around 40 lbs.
He is right on the mark out to 40 yards with the crossbow. He was just nervous when the buck came in.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:58pm - Oct 16,13 
Nicely done my man!! too bad your son didnt connect, but thats why we call it hunting and thats why he will be back in the woods with you. My weekend was horrible 80 degrees both days in southern IL, didnt see a things and this farm is very productive. But i made the most of it and came home with 10 squirrels. I'll give it a go this weekend out in Princeton IL........Again nice work and at least you have some meat in the freezer. Your boy will connect sooner or later!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:52am - Oct 18,13 
Thanks.
I was out yesterday afternoon and only saw 1 doe. This is a very productive urban spot that I restrict to bucks only. Only myself and another guy hunt here so we can be very selective.
I will be hanging another stand and hunting this afternoon at another suburban spot that has produced well in the past. After today I will be resting my spots for a least a week. Hopefully by then there will be some pre-rut activity going on.
Next weekend my son and i will be hitting Indiana for a couple of days. I don't plan there on hunting until he connects with a deer. We have 2 spots that haven't been hunted yet so the deer shouldn't be pressured.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:14am - Oct 18,13 
Sounds like a game plan, after this weekend its time to start hitting my after work spot up here in lake county. Just like you, Bucks only. Hopefully I can connect this weekend with a doe out in Princeton. Good Luck, I'll let you know how I do when I get back.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:57am - Oct 18,13 
Thanks.
Good luck to you also.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:04pm - Oct 18,13 
I hunted from 3 to dark. I had 3 does and a few yearlings under my stand, but I didn't take a shot.
I'm just waiting for one of the big bucks that I have on camera to show up.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:52pm - Oct 18,13 
Congrats on the Doe Mikes! Even tonight, seeing deer still gets the blood pumping. My dad and I already have a couple down this year which hasn't happened in a long time. Last year he got a doe around October 16th that had to sit overnight in the 40s and I didn't my first one until November. This year, October 5th he knocks down a 6 point within 10 minutes of being in the stand. Ran to within 10 yards of the truck and died. I was out to hunt that night to and he got it before I was even out there. 2nd sit 5 days later I had three bucks run by at 8 yards and no shot. Last Sunday I got one on that same 8 yard path, put a Slick Trick mag through it, ran 30 yards and fell in front of my dads pop up blind. 3 sits, 2 deer. I'll take that anytime! Heading to Mexico for my wedding in a few hours here but when I get back on the 28th I'll be down in central Illinois on the first. My buddy checked two of the cameras two days ago and go two real nice bucks. a 140" 8 point and a 160" 11 point. I wouldn't mind a wedding one Saturday and a 160" the next! Good luck to all over the next week!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:59am - Oct 19,13 
Congrats on your wedding!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:15am - Oct 21,13 
Finally connected Saturday mroning with a small doe. Seen over 20 deer. Missed the second largest buck I have even seen Saturday evening right before dark. 40 yard shot, went right over his back as he ducked when i released. Not a happy camper right now.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:32am - Oct 22,13 
Great job on the doe!
I went out yesterday to clear an area for a ground blind. While getting out of my truck I saw 5-6 does and 2 small bucks. I figured what the heck and decided to hunt.
Man, the wind was blowing. At one point I was afraid to stand up. It was a cold wind, and it was going right through my clothes. This wind didn't seem to deter the deer though. I saw an additional 10-15 with several shot opportunities.
Around 5:30 I noticed movement to my north . I stood, grabbed my bow and waited. A beautiful 165-170, huge bodied ten point came out. He fed 50 yards away for a good ten minutes. I anticipated every shot scenario in my mind, but he didn't cooperate. He walked directly west through a wide open field and never gave me a shot.He is now another target buck from this area.I climbed down around 6:20 and spooked several does that were feeding 10 yards from my truck.
Even though I didn't plan to hunt, I had a great, cold afternoon on the stand. I plan on resting this area till next week after I return from a weekend hunt with my son in Indiana.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:00am - Oct 22,13 
Very Nice, Deer are really starting to move.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:36am - Oct 22,13 
Yes they are. My buddy wants to go to the archery shop this afternoon, but I want to hunt a little spot close to home. I think I will convince him to hunt first.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:46am - Nov 4,13 
How old is your son? I'm trying to figure out how many years I have before I can get out with mine. He's only 7. What is the legal minimum? 45lbs? My sons and I went out into the CCFP on Saturday to do some rattling and videoing. I may have to see if I can figure out how to post a video. Pretty cool. Had a 145ish buck run right into to within 10 yards and just stared at us. They had a blast.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:39pm - Nov 4,13 
Michael is 12. This is his first year archery hunting. He is using a crossbow now, but he should be using a compound next year, and the minimum draw weight in Il. is 40 lbs.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:20pm - Nov 4,13 
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll either have to get the boy on a P0X routine or wait longer than I thought…..

Profile WWW  

Board index » Game Bag » Sticks & Strings
Jump to: