Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:03pm - Sep 16,13 
Looking at getting into bow hunting. I know this is kind of last minute as far as this season is going, but not too concerned as I would then be more than ready for next year.

Step 1.....Bow. The only bow I ever had or ever shot was a recurve bow. While this bow would probably get the job done I am looking to get into a compound bow for the same reason as many of you probably use a compound, consistency, accuracy, etc. I know bows can get pretty pricey. What is a good starter bow that will not break the bank but also will not be a piece of crap. What type or price range are we looking at for a completely setup bow that will get the job done and be a decent quality. Also do brands matter much??? Matthews, Hoyte, Forge, PSE, Bear, Bowtech. Obviously the more you spend the better the bow, I get it, but I am a novice at this. I know I need quality to get a real feel for the sport, but would hate to spend 1000 or 2000 to find that its not for me after a year or so. Are the ready to shoot combos for $400-$500 any good, or all garbage? I also thought about a used bow, but I hate peoples used crap. Sometimes you think your getting a deal but then turns out to be a piece of crap. Or for an extra 100 or 200 just get a new one. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Step 2....Hunting land. I have some access to property in Michigan but its far, would be good for a weekend hunting trip. What about hunting state land around here for a day trip. Can it be done? Is it impossible to get a permit? I've done the pheasant hunt at Des plaines and Kankakee but never archery deer.

As you can see I am at the very very beggining of this. I know a few guys who are bow hunters but also know from past expereince that sometimes its good to get a broader range of information instead of sourcing everything through 1 or 2 guys.

Thanks for the input.

Alex

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:59am - Sep 17,13 
Hey there....

1. Any of those top name brands will cost you close to $1000 just for the bow, by the time you are done with all the accessories $1350 or so, this being top of the line. Three years ago I purchased a ready to go combo (Redhead) from BPS. I have killed 4 deer with it, so yes it will do the trick and get the job done. I would be willing to sell the whole setup for $200, obviously you would have to make sure it fits you. Is my Mathews better, yes, as you stated you get what you pay for but is it absoluetly necessary, no. See if you enjoy the sport first before you make the investment, my guess is you will like it.

2. There is plenty of public deer hunting ground all over the state, some even better than private. You need to be willing to go a little further in than the next guy. Crowds can be a pain when hunting public ground, but like i said walk the extra quarter/half mile. Check out the IL DNR website, all site specific information is on the website. You can buy your bow permit over the counter.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:36am - Sep 17,13 
Thanks for the info. I'll pm you about the bow you're willing to sell

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:00am - Sep 17,13 
Hey Alex...Welcome to the obsession.
Keep in mind that you can spend $1,000 on the fanciest of bows but if it does not fit you properly you will not be consistent in your shot placement. I started with a low priced PSC many years ago and killed several deer with it. I bought a Hoyt that did not fit me properly and struggled for a couple of years until I got so frustrated with it that I stepped up to a Mathews, properly fit to me and my shooting style. It's a killing machine, not so much because it's a $1,000 bow but because it fits me like a glove.
What-ever budget you choose be sure of the fit of the bow is proper and you'll be half-way to filling your freezer.
I would suggest you find a good archery shop and go shoot some of the current offerings. It will give you a good idea of the draw length and poundage you'll be in the market for. Some bows are easily adaptable to a wide range of draw length and poundage others like my Mathews are not. They require a cam change for draw length.
Keep in mind that as you shoot more often you will likely increase the poundage as you go and your strength improves.
There is a well known archery forum that has a classified section where you can often find good deals on all kinds of bows. You can PM me for the site address.

Good luck,
Aim small - miss small.
Tom

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:45am - Sep 17,13 
Makes sense. Sounds like you have to really be in tune with your equipment.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:56am - Sep 17,13 
I love bow hunting. I started out with a Bear White Tail II and killed many deer with it. I used this bow for many years.

I switched to a PSE Nova package. I think it cost around $400.00 complete. I used this bow for two years until the bug bit me real hard. I then bought a Mathews Switchback. The setup cost me over $1000.00, and I am still tinkering with expensive accessories every year. I was looking to get a new bow this year, but I love my Switchback and there is nothing wrong with it.

Last week I was looking at bows at BSP. I was quite impressed with the quality of the packages costing between $450-$600.

As far as public land hunting goes, Il isn't the best state, but we do have plenty of options. I have hunted Kankakee, Desplaines and Iriquois and have had some luck. Southern Il has plenty of public land. Shawnee National Forest as well as numerous state parks offer public/no permit bow hunting.

I think your best bet will be to get together with some other bow hunters and discuss gear and techniques. I have become great friends and picked up a few new hunting spots this way.

Good luck on your new adventure. If you have any questions you can PM me, and I'll try to answer them.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:51am - Sep 23,13 
Thanks again for the advice. Ended up with a PSE stinger 3g. Vic at cabelas did a great job helping me get setup. Great bow for the money. Now I can practice shooting and get ready for a first hunting trip this season.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:51pm - Sep 24,13 
Hey mate let me know if your looking for someone to go along with and find some hunting ground.
I live in riverside area.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:00pm - Sep 24,13 
Well you didnt hold back on getting a great bow right off the git go, nice job. I think you will truly love the sport. Good luck this season. If you have anymore questions, great bunch of guys here to answer them for you!

Board index » Game Bag » Sticks & Strings
Jump to: