Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:06pm - Dec 12,16 
Just curious what do you guys think is best all around hunting shotgun for different types of animals. I was looking at getting a benelli supernova but any help or experience would be appreciated. Thank you

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:31am - Dec 13,16 
Hard to beat a 12ga Remington 870 for versatility and price. However, you can get slug barrels for most shotguns now a days if you are looking to hunt big game as well as birds. I'd suggest getting a 12ga that can shoot 3.5" shells if you're looking for versatility. Biggest thing is whether the gun fits you or not. You could have an $80K gun, if it doesn't fit, you wont be able to shoot comfortably or as accurately.

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:50am - Dec 13,16 
I bought the Remington 12ga Versamax Semi auto. this summer and used this fall from everything from dove to goose with different choke tubes. I love it. It comes in camo or black. Check it out. About 1000.00 bucks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:51am - Dec 13,16 
remington 870 or Mossberg 500

Went fishing and had a drink or went drinking and caught a fish?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:09am - Dec 13,16 
agree on the 870. Ducks, Geese, Dove, Pheasant, Deer (with Barrel swap).... hard to beat that.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:03am - Dec 13,16 
870 all the way!!
slug barrrel and smooth barrel with different choke tubes
im am not the nicest to my equipment and this gun just keeps putting animals down! it has seen the worst of weather,abuse,droped ,frozen you naame it my gun has been through it. a little maintenance when you get home and shes all good for the next brutal outing!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:24pm - Dec 13,16 
First gun I purchased on my own was a 870 combo when I was 15. I lugged hundreds of miles in my teens and especially in college with that gun. Dove, rabbit, quail, pheasant and a few other species all were hunted with that gun. I hunted mainly with a rifle for deer but did use the slug barrel to kill a deer before I switch over and bought a cantilever barrel and then killed many deer with that. I since have moved on to a Savage 220 for deer and have other shotguns but someone that 870 is my go to gun. It's just got all the wear and tear on the stock that a good hunting gun should have. Its never let me down and absolutely love it.

Just to be fair, my buddy has the Mossberg 500 and likes it a lot. Its ran into some problems over the last year and needs to have some work done but also a good combo to get. I would stick with either of those two but I lean towards the 870.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:37pm - Dec 13,16 
We took shooting lessons at a skeet shooting place a few years ago. The girl instructor looked at my friends stock on a remington 1100 and told him it was a girls stock. he got it changed and became a much better shooter.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:27pm - Dec 13,16 
I have a Benelli Nova and I am very happy with it. Very versatile gun that shoots, lead, steel, and slugs, up to a 3 1/2 inch shell.
Black finish and this gun can take a beating.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:04pm - Dec 13,16 
Rem 870 is nice. But for all around hunting I'd go with the Mossberg 500. Good solid gun and easy on the wallet.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:55pm - Dec 13,16 
Benelli Super Black Eagle with a rifled slug barrel and a smooth bore barrel. You will never need any other shotgun, period.

Hunt, target, compete, it will do it all.

Any round, any time.

It will outlast the owner. I prefer the synthetic furniture.

I have more blood on mine than any other weapon, by a long, long shot!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:43am - Dec 14,16 
Remington 1100 12 gauge semi-auto. Go on gunbroker and you can get one for the price of a 870.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:24am - Dec 14,16 
I've got quite a few shotguns, some that are nice/expensive and some that are just down right shooters. I like Remington's either the 870 or 1100. I have 3-870's and 2-1100's and I've yet to have a problem with any of them. Aside from being quality guns they are fairly easy to clean and maintain.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:49pm - Dec 14,16 
I suggest you go to a gun store and handle some different guns before making your decision. Gun fit is the biggest factor when it comes to consistent comfortable shooting.

You have some great suggestions in this post for a few different price-points. If you are considering spending $1000-1500, I'd personally look at the Benelli SBE, Browning Maxus, or Winchester SX3. If you're trying to keep it under $1000 I'd look at the Remington 1100/1187, 870 Wingmaster, or Browning BPS (ambidextrous safety/ejection). If you're looking at spending around $500 I would be looking at either the Remington 870 express or Mossberg 500 combos (bird and slug barrels). And if you want to get-r-done for under $350 you can usually pick up the 870 express or Mossberg 500 with only the bird barrels in that price. The Wal-Mart in McHenry had an 870 express on sale for $260 plus a $30 mail-in rebate when I was in there a few weeks ago (a few stores had that price going around black-Friday).

I usually advocate for 870s for the first gun because you can get a combo for a decent price, and they are probably one of the easiest guns to break down and clean thoroughly. Its also nice to have a tool that you can scratch or dip in water without feeling like you're ruining a big investment. My 870 has been used as a boat paddle, been dropped in mud and the river a few times, was once used to dig/anchor myself out of chest-high mud (that was scary), gets rained on a lot, and has been coated in ice a few times. I personally like the feel of 870s over the Mossberg 500, the Mossberg grip is a bit bulky for my taste. In my experience, the tolerances on the 870s are tighter than the 500s in the same price-point; the Mossberg slides seem to get "loose" quickly. Again, these are personal preferences/observations, and you could find the Mossbergs more comfortable.

Pannie

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:02am - Dec 16,16 
I don't have one and have never shot one but I have seen a lot of bad reviews on the versa max. I have a Browning BPS for a pump and a Benelli SBE II semi auto. Both have been flawless and I recommend them highly. My sons do a lot of duck and goose hunting. Both of them shoot a Browning Maxus and are extremely happy with them. Cabelas has the BPS for 599.99 and a 100.00 rebate on all Brownings till 12/31. Unless your only looking at semi autos the BPS for 500.00 is hard to beat.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:31pm - Dec 16,16 
Personally I would stay away from the pump. If you can afford it and your only looking for 1 shotgun the Benelli Super Black Eagle is what I would buy. The balance on the Benelli's and even the Beretta is far superior to the Remington, Mosburg, or Winchesters. If you can't afford that the Remingtons are hard to beat. I shoot a Benelli M1 for upland birds and a Winchester X2 for waterfowl. No matter what make sure you have something that fire 3.5 shells if you intend on shooting waterfowl.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:56pm - Dec 21,16 
Gotta side with Benelli...thought my old 11-87 was my best ever until I fired the Super Black Eagle...hands down the best...

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:25am - Jan 5,17 
Im still looking into it but have not made any purchases yet? Question for you guys what do you think about a O/U Savage 555 deluxe I really would like to use a shotgun for dove hunting,pheasant and possibly geese. What do you guys think?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:43am - Jan 5,17 
I would opt for a gun that can shoot the 3rd shot if I was looking to buy one all-around gun for hunting. IMO O/U and SxS guns are pretty, but aren't the optimal gun for most hunting situations...

Also, if God wanted you to shoot an Over/Under he'd have stacked your eyeballs on top of one another. :bigyuck IMO Side by Side is the way to go for a double barreled gun.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:13pm - Jan 5,17 
Get an o/u and a semi auto 1100 or 870 if you can swing it. My Browning o/u is what I use for doves, quail, and pheasant. My 1100 is used for ducks. I also have a Browning sxs that doesn't get much action any more. The other two just feel much more comfortable.

Post new topic Reply to topic Latest Topics  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Game Bag » Guns, Slugs, Shot, & Black Powder
Jump to: