Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Location: South Elgin, IL :: 04' Blue 1700 Lund Explorer, 115 4-stroke Yammie

Post Posted: 09:58pm - Nov 15,15 
Hey all,
I'm looking to get my 9 year old into the woods for the first time this spring for junior turkey season. I'm looking to get either a .20 gauge or .410 youth shotgun on the cheap. Any recommendations? Or if anyone has one they would like to part with, please let me know! ;)

Thanks Again!
Jason

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:06am - Nov 16,15 
From my own experience as a youth with his first shotgun.............CRACK BARREL 20 GA KICKS LIKE A MULE!!!!!! :noway :rotflmao

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:16am - Nov 16,15 
Plenty of decent youth 20 ga pumps out there for around $200.
Something like a Mossberg 500 and you can buy a replacement slug barrel if he has an opportunity to deer hunt. Waaay more versitile.

Besides, you can't hunt in IL with a .410 for turkey anyways.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:24am - Nov 16,15 
I would definitely get the 20. A little more kick but he will be able to use it as he grows for pheasants, rabbits, ducks etc. I use mine for turkey as well. Watch "black Friday" sales at Bass Pro. I bought a 20 ga H&R pump 2 years ago there for $199.00 out the door. It was considered a "youth" gun. I like the shorter stock for shouldering. Not a fancy gun but a gun you can kick around and not worry about scratching. As far as safety is concerned, when he's ready to shoot in the field he can walk with ONE chambered shell until he's a tad older. Glad to see parents still doing what you are doing. Cudos to you.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:57am - Nov 17,15 
Your selection of shot loads and powder drams is much better in a 20Ga. Your son will grow and that 20 will be plenty for him for along time. Some of the guns that are youth models can be changed later by adding a full size stock. You just need to do some searches on them. 20Ga. Dove loads, trap loads are fair in prices and can be alot of fun throwing some clay birds for your son as he grows which gives you more time in the field threw out the year. Time behind the gun with DAD is all he needs. Good luck on your search.

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 09:21pm - Nov 17,15 
20ga for sure. Just passing down my first guns to the grandsons.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:30pm - Nov 18,15 
Although the 20 gauge offers a significant amount of flexibility in usage, it also kicks more than a 410. Especially in the early stages of shooting, you don't want to scare him off. I think I would opt for the 410 early on until he gets the hang of things and builds his skill level. When he is comfortable with shooting in general, bump him up to the 20.

Lt.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:46pm - Nov 18,15 
You need to get him a 20ga if he is planning on turkey hunting since hunters may not use a 28ga or .410 when hunting wild turkeys in IL. Plus, the 20ga will be more versatile as he grows up. TriStar has a couple different youth auto-loading shotguns in 20ga that you can find used for pretty cheap. The auto-loader will reduce the felt recoil, but is not cheap when buying brand new. My buddy got one of the TriStars for his ten year old last year, and it came with a longer stock as well so the boy can grow with the gun and not worry about finding a larger stock later.
From personal experience, you'll be better off getting him a heavier pump gun than a break-open single-shot gun. I hated shooting the 20ga single-shot as a boy, I would have rather shot the 12ga pump gun, or a 20ga pump if one had been available to me.

I practice catch and release. Catch and release into the grease.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:56pm - Nov 18,15 
Here's my thoughts as I have 2 little girl's that will be shooting one day. If you want him to shoot upland a .410 is perfect. I've tried a few different types and I chose to buy a Mossberg over/under. I was having issues with the round ejecting from the other's I was using. So on an O/U you do not have to worry about it. When my wife's shoots clays this is what she uses and she is about 110lbs. No complaints from her.

A 20ga is great because as the child grows you can do just about everything with it, deer, upland, waterfowl, turkey. My suggestion a Remington 1100 or 870. Inexpensive durable gun, I have a few.

If deer is what you were thinking I would suggest a muzzleloader. You can change the amount of pellets to each shooter. I let my 10 year niece use my with one pellet and she was dead on at 40 yards. Just a few suggestions. Remember to look into the State Laws, .410 has its restrictions.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:31pm - Nov 22,15 
Like Pannie Popper and Bobba Down said 20 gauge if he's going to hunt turkey. It's more versatile anyhow and something he will use a long time. Start him off with light target loads to build up confidence and getting used to the recoil.

1993 Tracker 17' Dual Console
60HP Johnson w/ Evinrude 9.9 4-stroke kicker

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:21am - Nov 26,15 
Thanks everyone for the responses! My son is so excited. My new land is loaded with turkey, so we'll be going after them in the spring. I think I will go with 20 gauge and it looks like the Mossberg mini bantam. The stock adjustment is pretty appealing. I like the idea of starting him with target loads and working his way up.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'm glad I asked, because I didn't know you couldn't shoot a .410 for turkey in IL

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:57am - Nov 26,15 
Jason

You might want to also look into a gel filled shotgun pad for the butt. In the old days, the pads were solid, and didn't offer much relief. Now with new gel fillings, even a gun with the worst kick can be tamed. The gun club I belong to has trap meets twice a week. Some of the older gentleman who shoot 1,000's of rounds for sport use these and swear by them. I bought one for a single shot Long Tom I own and it is now a pleasure to shoot. Prior to that my shoulder used to hurt when I just looked at that gun. :oops:

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:28pm - Dec 26,15 
A quick update. Ended up purchasing a Mossberg bantam 500 20 gauge. Great little gun. Super light and the smaller stock is a near perfect fit for my son. I'm going to take a look at the gel pad, Tom. Thanks for the advice. I just picked up a blind as well. I can't wait to get out for apprentice season. It's been a long time since I've been on a hunt. Can't wait!

Jason

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:33am - Dec 27,15 
Nice pick Jason. Good luck with all the new adventures.

Board index » Game Bag » Guns, Slugs, Shot, & Black Powder
Jump to: