Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 03:18pm - Jun 5,14 
I don't know much about muzzleloaders but can someone stear me in the rite direction I'm lookin to buy one for this coming deer firearm season .

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:50pm - Jun 5,14 
If your just starting out, the Tradition model at Bass Pro is cheap, accurate and they usually run a special where you can get a scope and case all inclusive. Pretty sure you can get started for around $200 and see if you like it. I've done both. and I'd much rather shoot my Mossberg 500 riffled shot gun.

Only one way to find out what you like though.

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:35am - Jun 6,14 
CVA Wolf... great muzzle loader easy cleaning, accurate, and great for beginners! they are also on the cheep side for muzzle loaders

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:29am - Jun 6,14 
Willey,
get what you can afford and shoot alot to get use to it. Try different loads and powders til your feeling good with your groups and the way the gun responds. They are not at all like a rifle, they need to be cleaned and kept clean for best shooting. Nickle and stainless finish will not get erroded from repeated use of black powder or a substitute. I hunt in Indiana, and have been using a older TC encore with a good scope. I lease property in Starke county for 30+ years now. Longest shoot to date on a deer 242yds. We practice alot at long ranges so was confident I could make the shot. We have shot bullets that will give good groups but were not great when they hit a deer. Have settled on 300gr. Hornady XTPMag. When they bust a brute he goes down and isn't getting back up.
Muzzle loaders are not like shooting a shot gun with slugs or a rifle, so don't expect them to. We don't use a shot gun anymore, only the smoke poles.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:05am - Jun 8,14 
We have two TC Encore's .we have the original and the pro hunter and they are great guns. These muzzle loaders will stack bullets at 100 yrds and nice groups at 200 with me shooting. I shoot 100gr loose 777 powder and a 250 gr shockwave and it knock them down. I have never had any problems with a TC..........

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 08:15am - Jun 8,14 
Yes I have been looking at all the muzzleloaders out and I'm goin with the thompson encore I like the option to be able to switch barrel s for different calibers. That sold me rite there thanks for the help guys.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:00am - Jun 8,14 
I'm shopping for the CVA Accura V2 the month. I read pages of reviews and it seemed like this one got the best reviews. Its a tad pricey but I want something that will last me years to come. I do a lot of bow hunting and slug hunting so I wanted something to give me one more season here in Illinois. Plus, we have 5 people that gun hunt the property I hunt but no one muzzleloader hunts so it would give my buddy and I the whole farm to work with. We have it solo for all of bow season but shotgun hunting gets a little crowded.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:11am - Jun 8,14 
If u haven't already take a look at the thompson encore u can buy different barrels and convert it into just about calibers including shotgun. Pretty cool option.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:40am - Jun 9,14 
BIG B , my buddy bought one for last season and it had bad trigger issues ?When it was very cold the thing would not fire, you could pull as hard as you could on the trigger and nothing. The gun cost him and his 12 year old a deer. CVA is fixing it for free but still sucks that it happened. Im not saying cva is a bad gun just saying there have been some issues in recent times and something to look into before you sent the cash .

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:17am - Jun 9,14 
Thanks for the heads up line stretcher, I do appreciate it. I wouldn't mind the TC Encore but I don't want to spend a $1000 on it quite yet. If my wife found out I spent a $1000 on a muzzleloader she may kill me. I never did tell her what I spent on my Mathews Helium last year!

Hopefully that trigger issue is just an isolated case. I haven't heard many bad things. The negative reviews I have heard are about the scope that comes with the Combo and I won't be making that mistake. The day after I missed a nice 140" inch mature buck this year with my 870 I realized that my scope was lose. It was the factory scope that came with the cantilever barrel. Probably my fault since I did not check it the night before the season. I'll be replacing that scope this year as well. I had last years buck dead in my sights at 70 yards and somehow missed. It was an uphill shot and I may have had a few twigs in my way. After I did check it the following morning and tightened it down I blasted a coyote jogging at 65 yards. Go figure.

Board index » Game Bag » Guns, Slugs, Shot, & Black Powder
Jump to: