Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:05pm - Feb 10,13 
Haven't been out to the range in a while,took a drive to Cabelas in Hammond today,in search of some .45ACP rounds ,and the shelves were barren.Read an older post from someone searching for .22 LR loads,and all I can say to anyone looking for ammo,is good luck!Not sure if the shortage is due to the fact that demand was very high,pending on gun control issues or what.The rounds I could find was some Remington Golden Sabre loads for 38 bucks for 20 rounds. That's a bit much for target practice.Maybe I'm just searching in the wrong places?A local dealer told me that ammo ,guns ,and all else is in limited supply right now.Think I'll just hang on to what I have,and hope all this is just a passing thing.Wish I had my own reloading equipment now.Let me know what you other shooters are finding out there.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:10pm - Feb 10,13 
Went to Gander off of 30 and they had plenty in stock but there were a ton of people there buying.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:21pm - Feb 10,13 
I was at Gander Mountain off of 55 in by Plainfield the other day and noticed the same thing. Lots of shotgun ammo, not so much in the pistol though (I didn't look super close though)

I've also heard a lot of other people saying similar things. Here is the way I see it, right now people are trying to stock pile because they think that certain types of guns are going to be outlawed as well as the ammo that goes with it. What is most likely going to happen is that they are not going to outlaw the majority of guns and ammo that people have been stock piling. When they realize this the people who stockpiled all this ammo will have a surplus therefor not going to have to buy ammo for a while and we will be back to normal supplies again once stores reorder and stock shelves again, probably even more than before. This is just the way that I see it. I know a few people that stockpiled ammo and now they are seeing that the new gun laws that may come about are not going to be as bad as they originally thought. I think were going to have to deal with a shortage for a few months and eventually we'll be back to a somewhat normal supply. I'll be curious to see what the ammo supply is like in rural central Illinois when I head down next month scouting and shed hunting.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:04pm - Feb 10,13 
that was me looking for 22lr.went everywhere,cabelas,bps,meijers,gander,blyths,etc....out.....wall mart too.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:00pm - Feb 10,13 
I have been trying to find some .22LR Stinger rounds, for hunting, and I have noticed not only can I not find Stinger rounds anywhere, I cant find ANY .22 rounds. Same with pistol rounds of any cal. Even looking online, a lot of places are out of stock with no backorder :?

Shelves and shelves full of shotgun shells. That seems to be it...

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:44am - Feb 11,13 
The 2nd ammendment protects the right to bear arms but provides no protection for ammunition. Worried about restrictions? Background checks on ammo purchases, registration of ammo purchases, taxes increases, qty limitations ect. right or wrong that maybe one reason why people are buying w both hands.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:00pm - Feb 11,13 
BigB wrote:
I was at Gander Mountain off of 55 in by Plainfield the other day and noticed the same thing. Lots of shotgun ammo, not so much in the pistol though (I didn't look super close though)

I've also heard a lot of other people saying similar things. Here is the way I see it, right now people are trying to stock pile because they think that certain types of guns are going to be outlawed as well as the ammo that goes with it. What is most likely going to happen is that they are not going to outlaw the majority of guns and ammo that people have been stock piling. When they realize this the people who stockpiled all this ammo will have a surplus therefor not going to have to buy ammo for a while and we will be back to normal supplies again once stores reorder and stock shelves again, probably even more than before. This is just the way that I see it. I know a few people that stockpiled ammo and now they are seeing that the new gun laws that may come about are not going to be as bad as they originally thought. I think were going to have to deal with a shortage for a few months and eventually we'll be back to a somewhat normal supply. I'll be curious to see what the ammo supply is like in rural central Illinois when I head down next month scouting and shed hunting.

BigB i was at the home and farm in havana on friday and they had ammo.Not alot of 223 or 22 lr but just about everything else.Most places that i have been in the last 2 weeks the supply is waaay down !!!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:07pm - Feb 11,13 
linestretcher wrote:
BigB i was at the home and farm in havana on friday and they had ammo.Not alot of 223 or 22 lr but just about everything else.Most places that i have been in the last 2 weeks the supply is waaay down !!!!

It's kind of funny how .22 and .223, the ammo that you could almost find anywhere is now in such shortage. I'm sure ammo producing companies are trying to pump out as many rounds as they can right now to keep up with demand. I think in time we'll get back to somewhat normal levels.

Since I'm short on time and can't really make it out to shoot my handguns, I guess I don't follow handgun ammo as close. I did glance to make sure my accuptips were in stock for next deer season, only 10 months until shotgun deer season!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:51am - Feb 12,13 
I hear a lot from my fellow gun advocates these days about ammo availability.....most of them feel that this shortage will pass once these futile attempts with gun laws have failed......I beg to differ. The current administration has fueled a record amount of gun sales....and ammo sales. This will remain as long as the executive branch of govt. blatantly attempts to infringe on the rights of law abiding citizens....as for the industry, it's called supply and demand.....Availability has a tendency to increase when you consider demographics.....I have stared into several empty ammo cases in Wisco over the last month, devoid of everything except shot gun shells.....however a good friend of mine walked into a Wal-mart in Appleton the other day and purchased 3300 rds of 22LR.
More population=more demand........and as a whole, more tyranny=more demand!

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:37am - Feb 12,13 
I was in cabelas over the weekend and I saw a guy in a black suit come in and buy out the entire ammo department. He had dark sunglasses on and drove a black explorer with government plates. The thing that really caught my eye though was the cash he used. It was blue, and I'm pretty sure it had a picture of Nacy Pelosi on it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:13am - Feb 12,13 
southshore wrote:
I was in cabelas over the weekend and I saw a guy in a black suit come in and buy out the entire ammo department. He had dark sunglasses on and drove a black explorer with government plates. The thing that really caught my eye though was the cash he used. It was blue, and I'm pretty sure it had a picture of Nacy Pelosi on it.

I guess that was the only dumb bass thing you could think of.
I am glad that you helped him find the ammo he needed

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:51pm - Feb 12,13 
big b Ya they have the accutips everywhere but the prices have gone way up.I bought 10 boxes last fall when Dicks had them for $7 a box.Now they are like $12-17 a box

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:42am - Feb 13,13 
linestretcher wrote:
big b Ya they have the accutips everywhere but the prices have gone way up.I bought 10 boxes last fall when Dicks had them for $7 a box.Now they are like $12-17 a box

That is the cheapest price I've ever heard! I wish I would have seen that. I usually pick up a box or two around October and pay $15 or so a box. D icks usually has a pretty good sale on slugs around deer season, I'll have to look out for that this year even though when I was preparing for gun season I found about 4 boxes of accutips from the past few seasons.

As of now, I am not overly concerned about the current ammo shortage. While demand is high currently, ammo producing companies see this and are producing as much product as possible. I've been following this on a few different news outlets over the past few months and IMO ammunition will not be effected at the current time, other than maybe some slight price increases (Like everything else in this economy). Semi automatic guns and high capacity clips, thats a whole different story but for now, I believe ammo will eventually get back to a somewhat normal supply. Again, this is just my opinion. If you ask 100 different people you will probably get 100 different answers.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:14pm - Feb 14,13 
going to the gun show at the porter county fairgrounds in valpo ind.this weekend.going to see if i can find any 22lr ammo

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:24pm - Feb 19,13 
If your not in Cook County there is plenty of ammo to by on Gun Broker. If you find it at the right price buy in bulk :winker

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:11am - Feb 20,13 
Shelves were bare in Cabela's in Hammond last Sunday.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:01pm - Feb 21,13 
i was at gander moutain on monday, they had quite a few diff types of .22. but no 9mm, there were a few boxes of .38,357,.44 mag, .40,.45. this was the one on route 30 and i55ish.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:51pm - Feb 22,13 
went to the porter county gun show last weekend,found plenty of ammo(was higher priced) only found 1 vender that had 22lr ammo.it was CCI 1020 fps,a box of 335 for 28.00!!!!!!! it was a 40 minute wait to get in,almost 2 deep to check out the venders tables!!!!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:33pm - Feb 22,13 
I got a place that got ammo, 45,44,40,9 ,22 in bulk boxes and makes cash deals
brought 2 boxes 45's 198 gr, 4 boxes 9mm 145gr, and 9mm hollow points for the house, 145.00 out the door
Pops picked up a Ruger P-95 , 399.00 Stainless, nice pistol.
Headed back tomorrow to pick up rounds for the 12g slug, 410

Board index » Game Bag » Guns, Slugs, Shot, & Black Powder
Jump to: