Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:23pm - Dec 28,12 
Been thinking about getting a .22 rifle and I don't know if I should get a semi or a bolt. I plan on using it for small game and target shooting/plinking. I don't want to spend a lot of money. Any recommendations?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:25pm - Dec 28,12 
I've only shot Semi - Marlins and really like them. Everyone I've talked to said they are reliable.
I plan on getting one.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:19pm - Dec 28,12 
my bro in law has a remington 597 he likes it a lot and its a great price but the marlins are also nice i like there 22 lever action

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 08:06pm - Dec 28,12 
Have for years had the marlin semi and it still shoots fine, but son #1 got a ruger 10/22 and boy does that shoot nice. You can really trick that gun out to with all kinds of stuff.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:16pm - Dec 28,12 
Marlin here semi auto love it
Will be my sons in a few more years

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:51pm - Dec 28,12 
I don’t think it matters much between a bolt action or semi for hunting, unless maybe for a quicker second shot the semi, but accuracy maybe the bolt with regard to taking more time to airm? I believe all these .22’s today are pretty darn nice. Just your preference. Ask someone to let you try one of each.

I had a bolt action, a lifetime with a Winchester Pump action and did buy a Marlin semi also. I was surprised how accurate the semi was right out of the box and it was very dependable. I loved them all. Kept the pump with a over/under 4x scope and my son will get it eventually. Naturally, I always wanted a lever action .22 though and never did get one, or shoot one.

The 22 is just a wonderful caliber for small game. You would probably go through ammo quicker with a semi for target or plinking. If you’re thinking mostly small game, you might even consider the over/under, .22/.410, one of the most practical and versatile small game weapons ever made. And hey, as my buddy Daniel use to say… “ya only need one shot”…..

Many past posts ant topics re: .22’s viewtopic.php?f=26&t=31423&hilit=22+rifle for one…

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:42am - Dec 29,12 
The Ruger 10/22 is still considered the quintessential .22 rifle. Tons of after market parts and tinkering instructions too, if you like to play.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:30am - Dec 29,12 
jbart wrote:
The Ruger 10/22 is still considered the quintessential .22 rifle. Tons of after market parts and tinkering instructions too, if you like to play.

X2...The one thing that will set the Ruger apart from the Marlin is 10/22's removable magazine.
The bolt may be the best way to go considering the current "political environment".

Tom

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:40am - Dec 29,12 
If I were to get another,it would be the 10/22 ruger.Another thing to consider,is ease of cleaning.I own a bolt action Remington 582,a remington Nylon Apache semi,and a marlin 39a lever action,the bolt and the lever takedown very easy,the semi however does not,and requires some disassembly to get the bolt out.Also the bolt and lever actions can shoot .22 short,long,and long rifle cartridges,whereas semi autos need the extra gas pressure to operate and cycle the action.It's all personal preference,and I'm not pushing any brand name.Fact is they are all fun to shoot and the bullets are cheap too.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:43am - Dec 29,12 
Lots of good one out there but for all around fun Ruger 10/22..

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:09pm - Dec 29,12 
Semi auto-Ruger 10/22-A great gun that you can option to your needs,my kid's love this gun,I do as well,we shoot Quarter's at 40 yard's.
Bolt action- Ruger 77/22-This gun is a little pricey but I have found it to be a very accurate rifle.This is the one I use when my kid's bet me money on who is the best shot.
Hope this help's-Gaff

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:26am - Dec 30,12 
They say Bolt action s more accurate then semi but everything is pretty good today. I am shooting a weather by mark xxii bolt action and love it. The ruger 10/22 s a awesome 22 though and their are tons of customizations you can do to it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:18pm - Dec 30,12 
10-22 ruger...... you can customize it however you want . im not discounting the marlin as i have a model 336 35. cal but for the 22 id go ruger. if you can find the older model id go with that.... wooden stock

Support Staff

Post Posted: 09:10pm - Dec 31,12 
Ruger 10/22! Just a great gun to have and fun to shoot. And def invest in the 30 round mag ruger sells for it.

Ignorance and Apathy, I don't know and I don't Care. W.C. Fields

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:23pm - Jan 1,13 
Bear wrote:
Ruger 10/22! Just a great gun to have and fun to shoot. And def invest in the 30 round mag ruger sells for it.

Ruger only sells a 25 round mag.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:35pm - Jan 1,13 
I have a henry lever action 22 and its a blast to use. Id go with the semi for the fact that the little critters are hard to shoot with a rife once they get moveing... Befor you do that you should look into a 17 cal they are mean little guns and shoot alot farther and pack a bigger punch great gun for shooting foxes coyotes ex..

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 04:45pm - Jan 1,13 
hands down the best and cheapest .22 is made by norinco, a JW15...its a 5 shot bolt action, i got it for $90 at a gun shop in Wisconsin a LONG time ago. I have a browning A-bolt 22, a marlin model 60, and a Remington 597. They are all GREAT shooters, but that damn norinco is the most bang for the buck...its been the barn gun for quite some time and sits in the corner and it has killed more squirrels and pop cans than all my 22's combined. It just wont quit....its the only gun my mom is even accurate and successful with. I bet one could be found for 100$ today.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:32pm - Jan 1,13 
bought a Marlin for $99.99 at Dicks a few years ago for my daughter, then to find out Marlin had a $25 rebate!
It's been very reliable and accurate with a fixed 4X scope... don't forget to loctite the optics.....Ed

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:17am - Jan 2,13 
Might want to hold off for awhile, Cullerton & Quinn are working on a bill to make illegal a whole slew of firearms in Illinois. Rumor has it, ALL semi- automatics, pumps and many other types will be on the bill. NO Grandfather clause. You will be forced to hand over your personal property or instantly become a criminal. Welcome to the peoples republic of ILLINOIS! Call your representatives TODAY and tell them NO!!! They are going to try to ram this through and into law by Friday the 4th. WATCH OUT!!!!

Board index » Game Bag » Guns, Slugs, Shot, & Black Powder
Jump to: