Author
Search for:
Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:26pm - Jul 31,12 
So what is the lightes bullet grain weight that will take down a deer and shoot well. 240gr has done ok but do any of you think that a 190 grain would do?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:19pm - Jul 31,12 
Question leaves alot of other questions. caliber/gauge? where ,range, type of deer???? 45/70 250 grs. 30/06 150 .243 90grs etc,etc

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:58am - Aug 6,12 
44 mag...... 100 yards. Whitetail

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:58pm - Aug 6,12 
More than anything IT IS SHOT PLACEMENT.

My grandfather took deer in Ca with a 22LR but how many of us can do what an OLD texas ranger born in the woods can do today.

I have a SAVAGE 99 in 22 high power that put meat on the table every day for years and much of that with reloads.

Would I try to do those shots NO because I nor most others of us possess the skills necessary.

The deer today are no harder to kill than they were 150 years ago. The skills of the hunters are what has changed for the most part.

A 30=30 still kills more deer each year than any other.

Unless you are hunting in the planes or mountains why do you need a 100 yard rifle? Most deer in the midwest are killed at way less than 50 yards.

Do yourself and your shoulder a favor and pick a gun you can shoot all day keeping all shots in a 2" circle at 50 yards offhand and you will fill your tags every year IF your WOODSCRAFT is any good.

There is NO license needed in Illinois to track and stalk deer 24/7 /365 till you can see them wrinkle their nose trying to get your scent from 30 feet.

Enjoy your quest.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:28pm - Aug 6,12 
You might want to take a look at a SAVAGE MUZZLE LOADER if you can find one. Mine will shoot a 5 shoot group into 2" at 100 yards with my cast 45 cal 335 gr projectiles and the recoil is no where near a 30/06.

Another fun gun to work with.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 10:24am - Aug 8,12 
1. i have a muzzleloader that i shoot about 250 yards without an issue. used to hunt a select rteeeline through cropland. I kilthem with bow and shotgun as well. I was just moving onto the handgun and trying reloading. Just was looking to see if anyone else did the same and what their specs were. 44 mag super redhawk!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:09pm - Aug 8,12 
Maybe I'm just talking through my hat but, I don't know if there would be any real advantage to going with the 190's. You would maybe get a higher velocity at the muzzle but you should get a higher ballistic co-efficient down-range with the 240's. About the only advantage I can think of would be less recoil with the 190's

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:01am - Aug 9,12 
Thank you danjer. I think i will stay with the 240's. The reloads i shot the other night performed well at 50,75,&100 yards. only time and more burnt powder will tell!

Board index » Game Bag » Guns, Slugs, Shot, & Black Powder
Jump to: