Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:07pm - Jul 12,12 
I am looking to get a rifle this year for deer hunting, I hunt in Wisconsin. I am trying to keep it under $400 for the rifle but would spend a little more if it had a good scope on it. The rifles I have been looking at are: Marlin X7, Stevens 200, Ruger American, and Remington 700ADL. I am leaning towards a .30-06 for the caliber. Any recommendations?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:58pm - Jul 12,12 
What about a Savage Trophy hunter in that price range and the Savages have come a LONG WAY!!!!!! shoot me a pm I might be able to help you in your search

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:21pm - Jul 12,12 
you have got the caliber right . the 30/06 is my choice for a great all round north american game gun. im a bit partial to remington ive shot my 11/87 for at least 25 years and its been hunted hard. made to last. savage is a good gun as of late they made some german adaptations to it decades ago
(1970's) and have been going up hill since. never much for optics hope one of these guys gets you some good info. dont be afraid to buy a rifle used from a hunter. i wouldnt want one from a target shooter if you buy used always tell the guy you want to get it checked out by a smithe if hes on the up and up he wont mind. good luck.
dd

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:18pm - Jul 12,12 
DD is right. 30/06 is my choice too. I must have taken 30 deer with my Remington model Four. Good luck.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:58am - Jul 13,12 
Pick up the Stevens. It is the same as the Savage - the polished SHINE and the accu triger. Since you said hunting the trigger should not be a big deal. If down the road you want a 243 it will be a 10-15 minute switch job. I do it all the time with my 9-10 different bbls.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:38am - Jul 13,12 
Nothing wrong with .3006. Good north america caliber and easy to buy ammo almost every place in the US and Canada. As for the gun, get something that fits you well. You will know that as soon as you pick it up and place it into your shoulder. I think any of the gun manufactures mentioned will fit your needs. I also go for the fit and then worry about the other frills the gun has. The newer synthetic stocks are great. If you want to kept the cost down, go with a blued barrel instead of Stainless Steel. As for a scope, there are probably more options than buying a gun. Whatever you get, go for quality first. I would go for a low power magnification like 1-6 or 2-7 if it has better quality optics than the 3-9 or higher. In most cases, I usually have my variable scope set on 4 or 5 power at most. Have fun and practice prior to the season. Just my thoughts, Wazoo54!!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:21pm - Jul 30,12 
C/K, you say your hunting wisconsin. Are you hunting the north woods or farm land? If your hunting farm country then like the guys have said the 30-06 is a great rifle. There are many sites to look at used ones and private owner sales. You still have to go through an ffl dealer. If your hunting the woods where the majority of your shots are 100 yards or less a 30-30 is a good rifle. THere are alot of them around and can be found at very reasonable prices. In wisconsin id be willing to bet a 30-30 rifle has taken more whitetail deer than any other rifle.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:06am - Nov 8,12 
.308 good all around

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:13am - Nov 8,12 
Avoid the FFL and paperwork by going to a gun show in Wisconsin. My friend picked up a model 94 lever action 30,30 Winchester with scope
For$35 :winker 0. Cash and carry.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:14am - Nov 8,12 
That was $350.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:48am - Nov 8,12 
Check out www.armslist.com

I have traded and sold a few shotguns on there for Revolvers. Easiest transactions ever to go through.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:51pm - Nov 8,12 
I ended up getting a used Savage 111 in .270win with the accutrigger. It shoots great and is in excellent condition.

Board index » Game Bag » Guns, Slugs, Shot, & Black Powder
Jump to: