Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:44am - May 28,12 
I have never hunting for anything larger than a whitetail, but that will be changing this fall. I am moving to Alaska, and I am expecting to need a larger caliber rifle. From what I have read, my old 30-.06 will kill the larger animals. On the other hand, I do not want to have a tool that isn't fit for the job.

I expect to focus on moose hunting, but I want to be able to kill a brown bear with the same gun. I have talked to a couple people, read a some online, and I was curious if anyone on Chitown knew a little about the topic.

In your opinion, what caliber will knock down a grizzly, but not be overkill on a caribou?

What manufacturers are affordable, yet reliable?

Also, I am going to be in a part of the state that is heavily wooded. Should I go for iron sights or a low powered scope?

Do you have any recommended gun shops (especially if you know of one with a good selection of used firearms) in Lake, McHenry, or Kenosha counties?

I appreciate any help with this.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:34am - May 28,12 
take a look at the marlin 1895 45-70 govt.accurate to 100 yards with iron sights and will knock down any game in north america including a grizz.i have read the 1895 is a favorite among alaskan bush pilots.very effective in the woods/thick cover.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:10am - May 28,12 
Look into the 338,its a geat caliber for moose or bear.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:07am - May 28,12 
While many guns are larger and kick harder I still think the 06 is your best choice.

Your trip is going to cost enough so why add another gun to the bill?

The 06 has every type bullet needed to stop anything on earth and has done so many times. The ammo is carried in depth in almost any store that sells ammo and it is a lot less expensive than the bigger stuff.

The most important thing you have to do is practice,practice and practice again. It does not matter if you have the biggest LOUDEN BANGER ever made if you can not hit the important spot from a kneeling,sitting,prone and any other wierd position you might find yourself in you wasted your trip.

Learn how many clicks you have to use when going from a 110 to a 220 grain bullet to stay on target.

With that amount of shooting your shoulder will say THANK YOU now and again when you are in your 70s and 80s.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:23pm - Jun 15,12 
Thanks for the advice.

After reading into it more, I think I will get up there and see how it works out. The 30-06 should suffice. Unless I find a good deal on a bigger rifle before I move, I will try to find one up there.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:27pm - Jun 24,12 
The only guy I personally know who has successfully hunted Brown Bear killed his with a .375 H&H. Having said that I think BW Bill's and your logic is sound: Take the -06 up with you until you get the lay of the land and things figured out. Best wishes on your move and best of luck to you!!

1993 Tracker 17' Dual Console
60HP Johnson w/ Evinrude 9.9 4-stroke kicker

Board index » Game Bag » Guns, Slugs, Shot, & Black Powder
Jump to: