Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:32pm - Apr 8,12 
I want to get your guys opinion on how the 308 ammunition is as a overall round for north America game? Does it have the knock down power for bigger game such as moose, elk and caribou and would using a smaller grain bullet work well for smaller game such as coyote?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:06am - Apr 9,12 
You will get alot of different view points. It is definitely enough for elk on down to coyotes. A 180 grain bullet would probably be enough for a moose as well, but some outfitters wont allow you to use that caliber. Some require 300 win mag or better.

You going to get an AR platform? That is the way to go!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:54am - Apr 9,12 
Bear dropped this Bull at 100 yards with a 30-6, the bull never took a step. It's all about shot placement.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:11pm - Apr 9,12 
If you dont plan to get an AR I would get a 30-06. They have a little more pop and wider range of bullets. You can go all the way up to 220 grains.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:58pm - Apr 9,12 
Brian1185 wrote:
If you dont plan to get an AR I would get a 30-06. They have a little more pop and wider range of bullets. You can go all the way up to 220 grains.

I have witnessed a 308 5 shot group small enough to be covered with your hand. But that was only at 1,000 yards. Shot placement is the thing.

I have eaten deer shot with a 22 Hi Power. They were just as dead and tasty as deer shot with a magnum. Just less meat blood shot.

A 308 and a 30-06 still shoot the same diameter bullets as far as I know. The 308 kicks less and can be loaded with any projectile the 06 can but using less powder. .

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:27pm - Apr 9,12 
the 308 is a great caliber.Like others have said shot placement.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:49pm - Apr 9,12 
Just take a look at what most snipers & competition shooters use, the 308 is a superior round in terms of accuracy to the 30 06.
I have both and would have no problem taking the 308 for hunting any N.A. Game & yes small enough for shooting coyote.
Great all around round.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:18am - Apr 10,12 
Thanks guys for the input. I was looking at the 30-06 because you can get the small accelerator bullets for coyotes and go to a larger grain for elk. Then my brother was talking about the 308 and how I should go with that, I figured that shot placement would be very crucial if gettin the 308.

Marc, that is a nice Elk.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:47am - Apr 10,12 
Why should shot placement be more critical in a 308 than in a 30-06?

It is ALL about shot placement no matter if you are using a 223 or a 650 louden banger.

The same bullets and FPS will do the same damage no matter what piece of brass it was launched from.

If you are going elk hunting you should be at the range starting now practicing your shot placement from as many positions as possible. One box of ammo a month with a new setup just is not enough if you have any respect for the elk you are hunting.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:20am - Apr 10,12 
Having used both rifle calibers, I never saw a difference. I have taken two elk, one with a .308 and the other with .30-06, both at 200 yards or so. Both went about 10 yards. Shot placement is absolutely critical then followed by bullet construction. Good shot placement will drop wild game evertime. Quality bullets will makeup for not so good shot placement. Both calibers are widely available across the states. As for deer or bear, I usually use 180 grain Federal Premium Nosler partition and or the Accu-bond. Both get the job done. I like the heavier bullet weights, but 165 grain will also get it done as well. Using either caliber for moose, I have no opinion, since I never shot a moose before. As for yotes, these calibers leave large holes. If you reload you have a wide range of bullet and powder combinations. Good luck with either one, just shoot straight. Just my thoughts!! Wazoo54

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:00am - Apr 11,12 
I think one thing is clear, today's ammo is much more advanced than it was 30 years ago. The bullets hit harder, have better expansion and hold together better. I mean there are many ammo companies that have .223 recommended for deer and not for head shots either. With that said, I imagine a gun like a 308 would be able to handle all NA game. If you plan to go on a grizzly or moose hunt I would just check with the outfitter.

Everyone has their preference. Some guys like lighter flatter shooting bullets, I happen to be a fan of a heavier bullett and I dont load my own. I imagine they all work well as long as you are comfortable and practice.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:18pm - Apr 11,12 
Here is my 308:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:06pm - Apr 13,12 
Brian,
What brand 308 is that? I was also started looking at .223 RRA's that are sweet on the AR platform.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:11pm - Apr 13,12 
Also, what type of scope you got on it? Sharp set up. It looks like a rock river as well.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:26pm - Apr 13,12 
Hunterbill, if you looking for something like Brians. Heres some awesome weapons - local company as well
http://www.dsarms.com/FAL-SA58-Rifles/products/8/1/0

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:11pm - Apr 15,12 
Sportsman.
Thanks for the link. I actually went today and ended up getting a rock river arms tactical 2. It is going to be awesome , can't wait to shoot it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:30pm - Apr 15,12 
Nice, get a few 5 round clips so you can hunt with it.
Be sure to give a review once you have some rounds thru it.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:02am - Apr 16,12 
Hey Bill - mine is a DPMS with Nikon rifle scope. I bought it used from a guy I know. It is probably about 6 years old. Rock rivers are real nice as well.

The AR platform is the way to go for hunting. I havent shot any deer but blasted a few coyotes, raccoons and possums!!!

I actually want to pick up another 308 AR so when my dad and I hunt we both have one. They are hard to find these days.

Board index » Game Bag » Guns, Slugs, Shot, & Black Powder
Jump to: