Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 01:23pm - Feb 5,12 
Hello everyone. Looking to buy a new shotgun for the up coming spring turkey hunt. I was hoping I could get some suggestions and perhaps some personal reviews on 12g shotguns. In addtion, what choke if any you recommend. Thanks in advance

:thanks

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:08pm - Feb 5,12 
Ok well I use a 887 pump its the newer model of the 870 i have the 887 nitro mag waterfall it comes in waterfall camo with is perfectly fine in the woods infact i used to use a old 870 that had the walnut stock and black barrel and i had hens and jakes walk right by me so close infact that i could grab them and it didnt bother them! lets just say the toms didnt get to walk by caz they were on the ground!! the nitromag waterfall gun comes with a 28 inch barrel and with a super full turkey choke you can knock em down alot farther than the rest. it also allows 3 1/2 inch loads which is what you want to knock thoes big toms down. some like to use shorter berrals for turkey but y do that when the longer it is the farther you can shoot!! It is also a great waterfall gun and its super light! ive never held a lighter pump gun than this one. Caso go knock em dead!!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:08pm - Feb 5,12 
http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... rfowl.aspx

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:31pm - Feb 5,12 
Few questions first. Pump, Semi auto, Over/under? Budget priced or higher end?

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:38pm - Feb 5,12 
Dont buy anthing that wont load 3 1/2 Mag - you dont have to always shoot those loads but it nice to have the option for Turkey and Geese.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:21pm - Feb 6,12 
You might want to consider a Mossberg, Model 935. They are reasonably priced, semi-auto, reliable, and will shoot a 3.5 shell. You can also use a "turkey choke." They come in a camp pattern as well. I've had one for a while now and shoot everything from geese to ducks to turkey with no issues whatsoever.

Lt.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:43pm - Feb 6,12 
Lt. wrote:
You might want to consider a Mossberg, Model 935. They are reasonably priced, semi-auto, reliable, and will shoot a 3.5 shell. You can also use a "turkey choke." They come in a camp patern as well. I've had one for a while now and shoot everything from geese to ducks to turkey with no issues whatsoever.

Lt.

good call LT> when my 1187 wears out thats the gun im looking to buy only trouble is my 1187 is almost 30 years old and still going strong after at least 10,000
(minimum) shots thru it both lead and steel, killed everything from doves to deer with it. it shoots a 3" shells and i've had no trouble killing geese at 50/70 yards shooting 3" tripple BBB's. the only draw back i could ever find with it is at the time i bought mine (1983) they didn't have camo on the guns then. did i mention it also shoots low brass 2 3/4 shells with no difficultly at all. for my money if you can get it camo or with a slug barrel kit its the best all around gun i ever owned.
http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... -camo.aspx
dd

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:46pm - Feb 6,12 
DD,
I hear ya! You can't go wrong with a Remington. They are the workhorse of shotguns, with many of us having cut our teeth on one! The 935 is a little heavy for a field gun, but overall it works fine for a variety of applications. I'm seriously thinking of getting a second one and having a winter camo pattern Duracoated if available.

Lt.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:21pm - Feb 6,12 
Hey Denny, google mossy oak graphics and find the video on how to install their removeable camo skins on your gun. It looks great and pretty easy to do with just a heat gun or hair dryer. The kits are only about $30 and can be removed with no residue left on the gun. The camo choices are great too.

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 05:55pm - Feb 6,12 
just cant beat the rem 870 in function and price.i have put all my turkeys down with the 870 super mag and 3 1/2 inch shells.just treated myself to a mossberg 935 magnum turkey model in realtree,22" barrell,pistol grip stock and comes with fiber optic sights.the gun feels great although i have yet to put a round through it.whatever choke and shell you use,just make sure you pattern them prior to hunting.you might only get one shot at a bird and you want to be confident it will count.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 09:13am - Feb 7,12 
Redsfirst wrote:
Hey Denny, google mossy oak graphics and find the video on how to install their removeable camo skins on your gun. It looks great and pretty easy to do with just a heat gun or hair dryer. The kits are only about $30 and can be removed with no residue left on the gun. The camo choices are great too.

now that is a useful product redsfist, i guess my 1187 is going camo after all! what pattern do you suggest for a all around camo? i am kind of leaning to the duck blind pattern but i think that the obsession pattern might be best all around? what do you think?
dd

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 11:13am - Feb 7,12 
I'm leaning toward duck blind myself My 1187 is begging for a makeover too. Joe

Profile WWW  

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:17pm - Feb 8,12 
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I appreciate it. I went and got my hands on the 887 at the store. Went with the longer barrel instead of waterfowl barrel. Felt great. Light weight nice sights, (I like to have a rear sight, the waterfowl barrel only has the front sight), and it has the 3.5 capabilitiy. I will go check out the 11-87 next. Is the 11-87 a Semi-automatic? Not sure how other states feel about semi. particularly wisconsin.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:26pm - Feb 8,12 
there is no problem in any state in the union with a semi auto shotgun used for hunting. i dont know if there is a single shot rule in effect anywhere that would make it illegal?
you will have no problem with the legality of this gun!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:17pm - Feb 8,12 
u can alway buy another site to put a rear cite on the gun and their i no single shot law just on how meny shells u can carry in your gun. here in Illinois its 3 sells in the gun and a 11-87 is semi auto and will set u back in price make shure it shoots 3 1/2's im telling you they may kick a lil more but the knock down power is amazing!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:29pm - Feb 9,12 
I own a couple different shotguns from a Remington 870, Beretta A390, Browning over/under, Winchester pump. Out of them all, the gun that I use the most and the most comfortable with is the 870. I bought this gun in 1970 and it was chambered for 3" shells, and this get the job done. It took me three other guns to buy to realize that I really like this gun for all around shooting and hunting. Note, I would never tell my wife this fact. I have bought a couple different barrels over the years for it such as a Hastings slug barrel, 26" ventilated rem-choke with the three standard screw in chokes, and then a turkey choke. I know that this gun will outlast me and my son then can sell all four after I'm gone. If I were buying a new shotgun, it would be an 870 in synthetic stock. I love the wood stocks, but its hard to damage the newer synthetic stocks of today. Just my thoughts!! WAZOO54

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:11am - Feb 10,12 
Wazoo is right about the 870. I own a couple guns worth over $1,000 but the gun I use the most is the 870. I bought mine about 12 years ago, an 870 20 guage combo from Wal-Mart for $220. I use that gun in any weather conditions and it never fails. For the price you just can't beat the 870 IMO.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:26am - Feb 10,12 
If money is no object get the Benelli super black eagle. That gun is light as a feather and made very well.

I second the 3.5 inch mags. Dont get a 3" gun. The 3.5s are great for turkeys. They are tough birds!

I would stay away from mossberg. My dad and a few others have had issues with them. To mossbergs credit they always stepped up and fixed but you shouldnt have to send the gun in to begin with.

If on budget go remington 870.

Board index » Game Bag » Guns, Slugs, Shot, & Black Powder
Jump to: