Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:26pm - Jan 30,12 
I have a Ithaca 12ga Model 37 Deerslayer that I bought new around 1982 or 83. The barrel is a 20" rifle sight chambered for 2 3/4" rifled slugs. This was my standard deer gun until buying a Remington 1100 with rifled barrel a few years ago. I just purchased via Gunbroker a Ithaca 24" ported turkey barrel. This barrel is chambered for either 2 3/4 or 3" shells. I'm wondering if it is safe to shoot 3" turkey loads with this setup? Unlike Remington, Ithaca didn't mark their receivers as "Magnum" or anything like that. Before calling out to the "new" Ithaca in Ohio I thought I'd throw it out to you guys and see what you think. I have a feeling the "new" Ithaca will be reluctant to answer my question given that I have a gun from the "old" Ithaca. You know how companies are product liability conscious and all that. Anyhow I'd appreciate your thoughts.

1993 Tracker 17' Dual Console
60HP Johnson w/ Evinrude 9.9 4-stroke kicker

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 04:40am - Jan 31,12 
Been shooting a 37 since 1975 and it has digested many of the 2 3/4" slugs that have more push than those of the turkey slayer shells. wsj would say you would be fine with that. Might fine gun there. 8)~

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:54am - Feb 1,12 
most likely the shells will not eject.

Chitown-Angler

Location: Not quite over the hill, but has a breathtaking view from the lofty perch.

Post Posted: 05:21am - Feb 2,12 
Dudlee wrote:
most likely the shells will not eject.

Very good point, wsj did not think of the receiver being long enough.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:22am - Feb 2,12 
Good point re: the receiver.

The actual length of the loading chamber was 2 11/16 for my Model 37 Deerslayer chambered for 2 ¾” shells (measured with my “untrusty” ruler). You have to remember that the Ithaca receiver ejects from the bottom, thus the shells are at an angle being ejected and therefore could possibly be longer than 2 ¾”. While being loaded they will easily fit into the magazine.

The problem might be in the actual length of the ejector area entering/exiting the chamber. I looked in that area and there seems to be an extra ½” with ejectors pulled back, that might allow 3” shells to be chambered/ejected with no problem. You could try loading some blank shells…. But first I would…

Google the Model 37. I had done that a year ago or so and found an awful lot of information. And I wouldn’t hesitate contacting Ithaca Arms. They may very well know or want to know that information, expressly for the purpose of liability (or sales).
Pete, Quailhunter, on this site http://www.chitown-angler.com/fin-n-fea ... hunter.php is one of the most knowledgeable fellows there is regarding all weapons. You could contact him also.

As a side note: Ithaca’s were/are the most highly regarded shotgun for Deer in the East. I’ve owned a couple of Ithacas- 1st being a “Sweet Sixteen” Gauge Featherlight (I was only 10) with a modified barrel. Many grouse fell with that one. Only a groove on the receiver for the rear site but still could easily group slugs up to 90 yds tested. I bought a subsequent 12 ga Deerslayer Model with rifled barrel and 4 power scope – and still opted to use the “Sweet Sixteen”- shot my last buck with it.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:55pm - Feb 6,12 
Bubbalouie wrote:
As a side note: Ithaca’s were/are the most highly regarded shotgun for Deer in the East.....

They're pretty popular in the Midwest too Bubbalouie. At least with me! Here's the few I own:

The second one from the top is the one I going to turn into my Turkeyslayer. I intend to remove the scope and use the fiber optic sights that are on the new barrel. The top one is a riot gun that we used to carry in the squad cars back in the 70's and 80' until a new Chief came along and decided to replace them all with 870s. I bought the satin nickel one you see for $50 from the outfit we traded them in to. My regret is that I didn't buy all six that we traded in!
The bottom 3 are my main bird guns. The 12ga is my primary field gun, a 16ga with polychoke that I haven't really hunted with yet. She could use a little restoration. At the bottom is my 20ga which I taught my son to shoot many years ago.

I was going to call Ithaca today to ask them about the 3" shells when I realized that they were on Eastern Time and were closed for the day. I'll give them a call tomorrow and post what they say. Thanks for all your responses! I didn't think about the ejection issue either. I'll see what they have to say. If worse comes to worse I'll just make do with 2 3/4" loads. It's funny though, the more I read about turkey hunting in the forums the more it seems you need 3.5 inch super duper magnums, a bazooka or an artillery fire mission to be successful!!

Here's a photo of the new barrel and the Deerslayer that's about to become a Turkeyslayer:

The photo is a little blurry. The barrel is factory Ithaca and is marked for "2 3/4 and 3" Guns Only"

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 07:23pm - Feb 7,12 
Holy Molely- that is some collection! :shock

If you still are a little hesitant re: using 2 3/4" loads, I could probably scrape together $50 and take it off your hands.......

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:01pm - Feb 14,12 
Well, I finally called Ithaca to find out about shooting 3" shells in my gun. Ed at Ithaca told me that the receiver itself is plenty strong enough for the longer shell, but like several of you mentioned, ejection might be the problem. He measured the ejection port on a 2 3/4 and a 3" receiver and they mic'd out at 2.6 and 2.8 inches respectively. Mine is a 2.6 so it looks like 2 3/4 shells only for me. Incidentally, Ed said you start seeing 3" receivers at serial number 37-188XXXX and above. Mine is 37-167XXXX. Oh well, I'll loose a little range when hunting Mr. Tom. Just have to call them in closer. My thanks to everyone who responded to this thread. And thanks for the offer Bubbalouie. It's good to know that if I really get desperate for eatin' money, you're there to help! :lol:

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 02:10pm - Feb 14,12 
Good to know. Still wondering if the 3" shells would eject with the 2.6 in receiver as well. They eject at an angle I believe, ....like said the 3" receiver is 2.8", so the 3 in shells are coming out at an angle to clear the receiver- at that angle, I think they'd clear the 2.6 also...... maybe you should accept my $50 and I can take the damn nuisance off your hands.... :lol:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 04:46pm - Feb 14,12 
Before Ed measured the two receiver ports he did say that I could always just give it a try. Most it'll cost me is whatever a box of 3" shells go for. I might just try it. At least I know the receiver can handle it and I won't rearrange my natural good looks!

Board index » Game Bag » Guns, Slugs, Shot, & Black Powder
Jump to: