Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:26am - Jan 4,12 
Hi All. Happy New Year! I'm seeking some feedback on your preferred local gunshop and gunsmith. I've used GAT, Midwest, JR's, and a couple of others. I've probably used MIdwest the most since it's the closest to my house, but just trying to get feedback from you all who you use and if you have a preferred gunsmith. For the gunsmithing piece, I'm looking for someone that can do general work on 1911's, revolvers, etc.

Lastly, regarding the FFL, I also may try and buy some guns via gunbroker or Buds. This will be a first for me of the prices are right. Anyone use a preferred FFL? I found one recently called Union Arms in Berwyn, which is my hometown (moved out 20 years ago), but they are mainly a gunsmithing shop and armorer for local PD's. They charge $30 per FFL transfer (page) so they would transfer I believe multiple guns on the same transfer for that amount. Haven't used them yet, but they were extremely helpful when I contacted them.

Thanks everyone.
JP

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 09:04am - Jan 4,12 
Tws Antiques

Licensee Name: Sobeck, Thomas W
9820 South 55th Avenue
Oak Lawn, IL 60453
Phone: 708-425-3485

Most reasonable FFL transfer fee I could find.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:47pm - Jan 4,12 
i agree with bulldawg. used him once two years ago no problems,price was right.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 02:27pm - Jan 7,12 
I used Cabelas in Hoffman a couple times. It went very smooth, but they are up to $45 or $50 bucks to do it. Just too much in my opinion unless it's something I REALLY wanted. If they would agree to me spending $50 in the store instead of just paying the $50, I would be totally on board, but that might make too much sense.

If anybody knows a guy in the near north suburbs, I'd love to know about them. Thanks, JT

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 06:53pm - Jan 8,12 
Go to gunbroker.com. On the left hand side you will find a link titled "Find an FFL". Enter your zip and you get a list of FFL's in your area along with fees. Good Luck!

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:19pm - Jan 11,12 
It may be a bit of a drive BUT I have been very happy with.

Harry Mc Gowen
St Anne IL

for over 40 years and yes the bbl co was founded by Harry and yes he is STILL alive.

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 12:12pm - Jan 24,12 
I can tell you who to avoid....

Johns Trap Guns in Libertyville.

Years ago I called looking for a .45 and "Big John" said to come on in. When I got there, the counter person told me that they only sell to Cops and Military. A bunch of guys in the back of the room were sitting around smoking cigars (thought this was illegal in IL?) and one of them came over asking me a bunch of questions.... Why do I want it. What do I need a gun for. I walked.

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 03:26pm - Feb 17,12 
Hey guys I am an FFL out of Fox River Grove, IL which is the next town west of Barrington on Northwest Highway or RT 14. I had a post here before about it but it was removed so I hope this one stays around for you all to see. I buy, sell, trade all types of firearms and do transfers. My transfer fees are $25 for the first 3 transfers and $5 for the 4th. If you have multiple firearms to transfer at the same time it's $5 per extra firearm. I'll do what I can for you shoot me a pm and I'll give you my contact info thanks Rick

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:39am - Feb 23,12 
Got my last gun about a year ago from Buds. Did the transfer at The Adventure Store in Waukegan.
Free shipping from Buds, and $15 transfer at The Adventure Store.

Board index » Game Bag » Guns, Slugs, Shot, & Black Powder
Jump to: